Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 13:22   #106
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Safe & Secure on Board šLocked Inš

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Locks on a house are to keep out the well-intentioned. But unwelcome , those said same locks are typically useless at keeping out those with bad intentions.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Professional killers wouldn't be stopped by locks, on your house or boat. But this doesn't have much impact on the vast majority of people.
Old 16-03-2014, 13:44   #107
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Professional killers wouldn't be stopped by locks, on your house or boat. But this doesn't have much impact on the vast majority of people.

Nor do locks have much effect on plain old ordinary burglars either. ( don't ask me how I know )

Dave

Old 16-03-2014, 20:36   #108
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
By definition, you can't know of every circumstance so the idea that something is 100% effective is by definition wrong. So yes, your statement is wrong.

Is it effective? Maybe, maybe not. It's vitualy impossible to determine what effect having locks were vs the reaction of simply coming charging out screaming holy hell in rare wildy differing events.

Having followed the subject, the vast majority of boarders in for petty theft with no interest in physically harming those on board.

Are there exceptions? Sure but very rare and it's unlikely a lock is going to have any effect if that is thier goal is blood.
Apparently my post was too complex so let me try again: the lock is not to keep anybody out or away or any of that. The lock is merely to slow them down enough so that you have time to wake up, prep and make them understand that entering the cabin is suicide. This is the tactic taught by security advisors and there is not one known case where it failed. That adds up to 100% effective says my math teacher.

The scumbags here in the Caribbean don't pick locks, they start kicking in the door or hatch so that you will wake up in time.

You don't have to lock up and defend yourself; you can just lay down and beg for mercy, give them whatever they wish, do whatever you think is best What you do not need to do is deny the tactic that was proven successful but not your choice, or try to ridicule it or those who will not allow boarders their way.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 11:34   #109
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I don't understand all this debate about locks. Locks, especially the 4 and 5 tumbler assault locks, are strictly forbidden in most of the Caribbean nations. You must surrender your locks upon clearing customs, and then go down to the police station to check them out again on the day of departure. Concealing locks or failing to declare locks is a big no-no.

Honest men don't need locks.

(WEG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 17:14   #110
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Safe & Secure on Board šLocked Inš

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Apparently my post was too complex so let me try again: the lock is not to keep anybody out or away or any of that. The lock is merely to slow them down enough so that you have time to wake up, prep and make them understand that entering the cabin is suicide. This is the tactic taught by security advisors and there is not one known case where it failed. That adds up to 100% effective says my math teacher.

I think nick, that's yours is a fair POV , but only if you can deliver on the " suicide" bit. If alternatively you're down to waving the bread knife at them, I don't think locks are much use.

Waiting below as your hear people pull up to your boat, board, and break in , is not my kind of fun .

In my house, I can seriously deliver on the " suicide " bit, so locks are good to slow the perps down, on a boat......?

Dave

Old 17-03-2014, 17:45   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I don't understand all this debate aboutGlocks. GLocks, .. assault Glocks, are strictly forbidden in most of the Caribbean nations. You must surrender your Glocks upon clearing customs, and then go down to the police station to check them out again on the day of departure. Concealing Glocks or failing to declare Glocks is a big no-no.

(WEG)
Fixed it for you....
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 17:59   #112

I have reached the point of curiosity. How many of you who think it is useless to lock yourselves in, but you lock your dingy or remove it from the water at night? Lets add to that....how many of you locked your homes at night before you went cruising (when you lived on land)?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:08   #113

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Safe & secure on board šLocked inš

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I do have gun's aboard, in a soild mounted locked gun locker. But the contents of it are one 12 gauge hunting shotgun, and a 25-06 hunting rifle. NO Pistols of any kind. I have serveral flare guns one of which is a 10 gauge. None of these is available as personal protection! But I also have serveral cane knifes stowed about the boat ! We do lock up after dark, and have steel grates for our hatchs and companionway! So far this has been enough to keep us pretty free from theft, except for a few things lost from on deck! Winch handles binocuars and such ! We also have a seperate battrey powerd deck lights whitch we use everynight in any ancorage! Im 75 and athough Im BIG Im sure not a bad ass!! But I sure look the part with a cane knife in my hands! LOL. We sorta feel if ya lock up you are a LOT safer !! Just our 2 cents
The old cane knife. Must take a couple of mine when I head off. Being an sugar cane grower and know how to use it.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:29   #114
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think nick, that's yours is a fair POV , but only if you can deliver on the " suicide" bit. If alternatively you're down to waving the bread knife at them, I don't think locks are much use.

Waiting below as your hear people pull up to your boat, board, and break in , is not my kind of fun .

In my house, I can seriously deliver on the " suicide " bit, so locks are good to slow the perps down, on a boat......?
Exactly, that's why I wrote not to use locks when you don't want to resort to violence for defense. I can guaranty the suicide part very well: it is impossible to come down a companionway into a dark cabin where somebody is ready and positioned to take him out. Only those too drugged to think straight will keep coming and those are the ones that will kill without thought.

Bread knifes... not so much: the book clearly stated that in every case a gun was at hand and warning shot(s) fired. One boat, which we met in 2004, fired a 9mm through a deck hatch multiple times while they were forcing their way in and this immediately made them abandon the boat. Other cases it didn't even come that far.

Here's the book; I find it strange that nobody knows it while so many post about this: http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Aboard...pirates+aboard
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:31   #115

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

A selection of cane knives. Many uses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cane knife 1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	77743   Click image for larger version

Name:	cane knife 2.gif
Views:	144
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	77744  

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:32   #116

Boat: Rafiki 37

It seems to me that this discussion ignores the fact that the vast majority of crime is petty property theft. Most of this is opportunistic crime, or theft perpetrated by crooks who are looking for an easy score. So the best solution is to not make things easy. Basic locks, lights, and noise will deter the vast majority of property crimes. This is why people lock their homes or cars on land. It's not that these are hard to circumvent. It's just that these locks raise the difficulty beyond the level most crooks are willing to accept.

In the case of a premeditated crime, where the crook is intent on getting your specific stuff, locks and basic prevention will be far less effective. If someone really wants your stuff, they can likely find a way to get it. Someone who wants your specific stuff that bad will have spent the time studying you and your defensive plans. They will have ways of circumventing your plans. They will have devised ways to attack you at your most vulnerable point. That is where Jedi's "stand your ground" approach is possibly the only thing that will succeed ... but if someone is so intent on you and your stuff, all bets are off.

Thankfully, this is the extremly rare case, both on land as well as at sea. People say plan for the worst possible scenario. This is logically ludicrous. It's impossible to plan for every possible scenario. But it is entirely possible to understand actual risk, and mitigate against it. It makes perfect sense to take rational steps to address real risk. It makes no sense to scare yourself silly trying to dream up all the possible defences for all possible crimes.
Old 25-05-2014, 16:09   #117

rather than lock the boat at night (impossible in tropics) we ran a cheap IR burglar alarm down the length of the boat, with the reflector at the top of the companionway. The alarms were super load and positioned both at the companionway and the mast head. went it went off you couldn't hear yourself think. we also ran the alarms to a float in the bilge, to let us know early we were sinking. the mast head alarm was to alert us if we were ashore. whole thing was under $50 from radio dirt and very low draw. if you had to use the head at night, so long as you kept low you were OK. the kids were short enough they passed under it. so long as the boarders weren't midgets or pygmies we were right.
lazy bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 05:19   #118

Boat: C. E. Ryder, Southern Cross 28

This threat is way out of topic
Old 29-05-2014, 05:48   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Sailor View Post
This threat is way out of topic
Is that a mis-spell or a pun ?
Old 29-05-2014, 07:16   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Bread knifes... not so much: the book clearly stated that in every case a gun was at hand and warning shot(s) fired. One boat, which we met in 2004, fired a 9mm through a deck hatch multiple times while they were forcing their way in and this immediately made them abandon the boat. Other cases it didn't even come that far.

Here's the book; I find it strange that nobody knows it while so many post about this: Pirates Aboard!: Forty Cases of Piracy Today and What Bluewater Cruisers Can Do About It: Klaus Hympendahl: 9781574091656: Amazon.com: Books
I concur, I've gotten the wife to understand to blow out a window with a cheap Mossburg pump, windows are cheap and easy to replace, she hasn't hurt anyone, and who will continue to break in once a 12ga has been discharged?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote