Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 23:08   #91

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Safe & Secure on Board šLocked Inš

This, guns, anchors, and heads has been hashed so many times it's not even fun anymore to read it!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:28   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lose My Number.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:14   #93

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Is Nassau even still a destination for anyone or do cruisers avoid it like the plague?
On a side note it was pretty funny and eye opening watching that preppers show where these people spent lots of money on all this weaponry to make them feel safe, then when put in a situation against someone intent to do them harm they failed miserably at protecting themselfs.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:14   #94

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

If somebody comes in to your boat whilst you are sleeping, & you wake up & investigate, all kind of things can happen. The thief might panic, pick up a hammer ( as happened a few years ago in Thailand ) & kill you.
He had no intention on harming anybody, just bad luck!
I have a $20 battery operated movement detector covering my door, worked well in the Solomon Islands.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:45   #95
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"am I missing something?"
Yes. Crossing borders with dogs, or many animals, can become a complicated exercise in expensive quarantines. Seems like many places are worried more about rabies than about the diseases sailors may be carrying.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 21:40   #96

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

As mentioned earlier, we had security doors, hatch bars etc, but the real point was to make sure nobody could get in without waking us. Any door can be smashed.... Again, its only to make you a harder target. If remote, and you are the only target, you really have to trust in luck and judgment of where to anchor.... A single person is not a match for a boatload of armed pirates, whether the sailor is armed or not. Its like all risk planning, plan for the worst, hope for the best, and you'll probably be OK. If not, well, you got to die of something, it may as well be having an adventure!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-03-2014, 18:49   #97
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

On locking the "door" : there is good evidence that this tactic is very effective. As a matter of fact, they researched this and it turned out to be 100% effective. You can read about it in the book "Pirates aboard". It does require a threat of extreme violence towards those who start kicking in the door; when your plan is to put yourselves to the mercy of the pirate, then it's better not to lock up and just roll over :-s

On dogs: I think a dog aboard is also very close to 100% effective. I have never heard of any boarder trying a boat with a dog aboard.
I find that many locals fear dogs and that dogs notice this and keep them afraid.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 04:14   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
On locking the "door" : there is good evidence that this tactic is very effective. As a matter of fact, they researched this and it turned out to be 100% effective. You can read about it in the book "Pirates aboard". It does require a threat of extreme violence towards those who start kicking in the door; when your plan is to put yourselves to the mercy of the pirate, then it's better not to lock up and just roll over :-s

On dogs: I think a dog aboard is also very close to 100% effective. I have never heard of any boarder trying a boat with a dog aboard.
I find that many locals fear dogs and that dogs notice this and keep them afraid.
You had me going before, I thought you were serious.

Of course no one has ever busted thru a lock.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 05:37   #99
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You had me going before, I thought you were serious.

Of course no one has ever busted thru a lock.
Are you saying that what I wrote is not true? I assume you verified that before accusing me in public? But I know you did not as what I wrote is what the outcome described in the book is. I even met some of the boats and crews described in that book.

Yes people have busted through locks. But never when the owners made it clear they were ready to unleash hell on whoever busts through the lock. They always (as in 100%) chose to abandon their effort and leave the boat.
The lock provides time to ready yourself for defense. That is why I wrote not to use locks if you will not defend yourself and crew.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 07:58   #100

By definition, you can't know of every circumstance so the idea that something is 100% effective is by definition wrong. So yes, your statement is wrong.

Is it effective? Maybe, maybe not. It's vitualy impossible to determine what effect having locks were vs the reaction of simply coming charging out screaming holy hell in rare wildy differing events.

Having followed the subject, the vast majority of boarders in for petty theft with no interest in physically harming those on board.

Are there exceptions? Sure but very rare and it's unlikely a lock is going to have any effect if that is thier goal is blood.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:50   #101
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Its just puerile to say that because a lock can be broken its not worth closing the door.

Look at every house in the western world. Look at your own house. Are you that bewildered by life that you live at home without a door locked?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 09:09   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its just puerile to say that because a lock can be broken its not worth closing the door.

Look at every house in the western world. Look at your own house. Are you that bewildered by life that you live at home without a door locked?

It's equally puerile to say that because the door is locked it can't be broken into.

If you go back, I agree with locking the boat when away as it may slow down or discourage petty theft.

The idea that a simple lock is the differnce between pirates giving your vessel a 5 mile berth and coming aboard in force with the primary intent of leaving you in a pool of your own blood on the cockpit sole, is just paranoia. And it ignores the bigger picture that violent attacks are simply not that common to begin with.
Old 16-03-2014, 10:07   #103

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I have a 2x4 throw carpet with 3/4 in carpet tacks, those kind of square ones, pushed up through the carpet roughly every sq. in. Usually anyone coming on board will be bare footed and I will hear them coming and they will be asking for help. I can just roll up the carpet in the morning and stow it.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 10:14   #104
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Wouldn't be easier and safer for you (there will come a night when you forget) to just lock the companionway?

I don't really understand the battle against locking the door compared to the other "stuff" people come up with.
Old 16-03-2014, 13:04   #105
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Locks on a house are to keep out the well-intentioned. But unwelcome , those said same locks are typically useless at keeping out those with bad intentions.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk