Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-06-2014, 18:44   #1

Running A/C At Anchor on Moorings 3900 in July

I'm bringing my family on a week charter to the BVI this summer. This will be the first time chartering with my kids (ages 9 & 11) as well as my first summer charter. Oh...and first time with a cat

I'm starting to get worried about how hot it's going to be in the evenings and am wondering if, on a hot night, others will be running their generator A/C. I'm curious how loud it will be on the Moorings 3900 (Leopard 38) and for my neighbors and whether in running the generator I'll be violating anchorage etiquette.

Old 05-06-2014, 18:49   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Running A/C At Anchor on Moorings 3900 in July

Dampen your top-level bedding sheets and turn a fan on them. That is, unless your neighbors are running their gensets too to drive the A/Cs. ... Personally, I prefer not boating where/when the weather is uncomfortable.

Old 05-06-2014, 18:51   #3

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurferk View Post
...and whether in running the generator I'll be violating anchorage etiquette.
wind,
You're a charterer any displays of etiquette will go unnoticed by most if not all of your neighboring cruisers. Just make sure your anchoring skills are up to par and let it run as long as you need.
Old 05-06-2014, 20:13   #4

I agree. I never have figured out if its hot as hell and ither people that live on their boats or cruise without air conditioning and generators how they can come back at other people that have generators and air conditioners and say that they're actually out of line.. sorry but if I got a hot night I'm running my generator and my air conditioner you don't like it pull up your anchor move along. Not to say that I wont try and anchor on the outskirts of the anchorage or downwind but i dont buy the etiquette line.
Old 05-06-2014, 20:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you were the last boat into a small, quiet harbor and anchored very close into the middle of a lot of boats then one of them might have some justification to complain a bit about the noise.

But if you are anchored well away from any neighbors and someone comes in an anchors right next door then they would have no grounds.

That time of year I'm thinking the anchorages won't be that crowded anyway.

Have fun and let common sense and your obvious concern for courtesy be your guide.
Old 05-06-2014, 20:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Don't worry about it. Many boats either have gensets or have loud people partying anyway.

We've been on boats with and without and we use it when we have it and aren't bothered by the boats that do have it. It's reasonably quiet and if it is windy, most boats won't hear it anyway.

And you may not be the only 3900 with a genset running either, we'll be there in July and will be running it nightly as well and likely on a 3900 too.
Old 05-06-2014, 21:25   #7
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

It's not just the noise, sometimes the diesel fumes blowing down your hatch as your trying to sleep can be annoying. If you want to run the generator all night I would suggest anchoring away from boats with their hatches open.
Old 05-06-2014, 22:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Get some Windscoops.

One July in Bahamas I was too cool using one.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:10   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

If you want to use it then use it. I was at Cooper Island a few weeks ago and I was one of only a hand full of boats in the entire anchorage that wasn't running a generator overnight. If my boat had one it would have been on as well. Modern well installed generators make very little noise, and they meet California emission standards.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:46   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian17 View Post
.... but i dont buy the etiquette line.
Thank goodness the majority of us don't think like this.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:11   #11

"I love the smell of carbon monoxide in the mooring"- Smells like...
petro chemicals.

I would try and use fans first (make sure each cabin has them and has one for each sleeper. You could bring battery operated units if they don't. Not only will your boat and the anchorage be quieter there will be less chance of death should the exhaust find it's way into the cabin. Unless you are not worried about that.

Another good reason for using fans over cocooning yourself inside the boat with AC is situational awareness. If something starts happening in the anchorage to your boat or others around you will better be able to hear horns and voices through the hatches that you might not hear in a buttoned up boat. You can take corrective action or lend a hand as needed. Beats getting woken up by a bump on the lee shore.

I say try the fans first and see how it goes.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

All the advice to anchor away from others is somewhat meaningless. Charterers don't anchor overnight in the BVI, they pick up moorings. The moorings are jam-packed in as close as possible to each other. At least try to find one on the down-wind side to keep the exhaust fumes to yourself.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:26   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
All the advice to anchor away from others is somewhat meaningless. Charterers don't anchor overnight in the BVI, they pick up moorings. The moorings are jam-packed in as close as possible to each other. At least try to find one on the down-wind side to keep the exhaust fumes to yourself.
I've never chartered, but I guess that's a requirement, a mooring no anchor?

Me, I'd get in the dink and ask the boats around me if it was OK with them, and if it weren't I'd move, then start the gen so anyone else coming in has a chance to hear it and leave if they don't like it. laying in a pool of sweat when you have AC and a genny makes no sense to me
I run mine, but here on the Gulf coast, I've yet had to get withing 100yds of another boat, usually I can find a spot all to myself.

It's the drunks that make the most noise to me, yes they are few and far between thankfully and usually in the Marina
Old 06-06-2014, 05:31   #14

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Running A/C At Anchor on Moorings 3900 in July

I don't have a generator on my boat and just assume that every other boat in the anchorage does when I choose where to spend the night. Most modern charter boats with generators are nearly silent. There aren't that many portable gas generators, like the quiet Honda 2000. What I do look out for, and find far more annoying, are most wind generators! That's worthy of another thread. I think boats with the noisy ones should anchor on the downwind side of an anchorage.
Back to the OP. If you have come down to the islands to stimulate the economy with your hard earned money, feel free to run that generator and AC 24/7 if you'd like. It will be less disturbing than the people partying late or the shoreside land based music.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:41   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Here in the BVI the charter boats that have a genset will have a built-in one that is almost inaudible from outside, some even have the cooling water exit below the waterline. While quite a few boat do run air conditioning at night, I'm not so sure that it is necessary in a well-ventilated boat. I find myself sleeping under the sheets because it gets too cool at night.
But if the boat has a genset and air conditioning then you won't be alone in running it at night.

Tags
anchor, mooring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: