Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2009, 05:04   #1

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
Royal Island, Eleuthera

Two notes on the development occuring on Royal Island.

1. I came in at night and looked like they marked the channel with lights going into the harbour - do not know if you are allowed in though.

2. More importantly, there is beach to the left of the harbour and a new dock and breakers being built about 100 yards off the beach on the right side of the beach. It is ovioulsy not on my charts, which could have proven interesting if I was not watching when coming in to anchor.

there appears to ba a club house and 5 small hut type houses all with lights so finding the area was easy the area at night.

Just outside Egg Island was very interesting shallow dive. the entire area is a close network of coral, hard to find a sand patch for anchor. it should have been lobster central in with all the intertwining coral but not one...
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 08:49   #2

royal island anchorage

Hello, did you anchor at the Royal Island anchorage, does anybody know if you can still anchor there?
mikemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 09:11   #3

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
I anchored about 250 yards from the beach shown on charts at about 25'30.33N 76'51.67W.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 09:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Be sure to enter with the rock at center to you're starboard. Those with the Maptech charts wont see this need, but the Explorer charts show the risky rock on the east passage, although the boat carrying day laborers from Spanish Wells will pass through with local knowledge on either side. I've found no restriction to anchoring here, but I do stay off the developing area. There is plenty of deep water more to the east off the ruins of the old villa. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 11:31   #5

royal island

Thanks for the information, we hope to get there soon.
mikemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 15:50   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Talking

Last year when we anchored there I went ashore to speak to the security guard.

I learned that the "owners" did not want people to anchor, but that the Bahamanian government had specifically that the lease did not include the waterway... that they had been told they could not ban boats from anchoring there.

Of course things do change, and I know that even last year they were having a tough time selling the highly overpriced, smallish parcels. They had just bought a $1,000,000.00 Hinkley power boat, and were clearing it in at the marina in Spanish Wells when we got there. The boat was to be used to show prospective buyers the island from the water. I thought it was funny, the guys were braging about the price tag, and the Bahamians (who tend to know boats pretty well) were amused that anyone had been taken so badly to spend so much for a shiny fiberglass runnabout.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 16:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I saw that boat in Spanish Wells. It was pretty, but it doesn't do anything that a boat can do at one tenth the price. What's happened to function and value? I'd be embarassed to pay that much for a launch.
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 18:24   #8

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
We were in Royal harbor for 6 days last year in Feb. due to weather.We went ashore at the old villa ruines and had a very plesant walk. The sale crew with what looked like a prospect came upon us and asked that we not go on the "Golf Gourse" or any other part of the island as it was under "construction" They were very nice about it and we soon left for our boats. They had cut all the old mooring bouys off but I dove on a mooring and picked up a chain to use as a very brisk front came through. I hope to be there again in a week or so as weather windows allow. It is a very good anchorage and a very necessary one for boats southbound from the Abacos. If it is closed to moorings I would be surprised. The Bahamas gvt. are better than that when it comes to tidal areas. The only issue is thoes with pets may want to rethink landing untill this project (like so many others) runs out of money and goes blly up. It looks like a short window.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote