Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 11:02   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40
Routing SXM - GPT advise

Just closed the deal on our 2006 FP Lavezzi 40 currently located in St Martin!!!!

Work commitments and some minor repairs mean that we won't be able to get underway on our delivery from St Martin to Gulfport Mississippi until June 18. This is about six weeks later than I'd prefer to do the trip.

Unless there is a significant weather reason at departure time, we're planning to take the southern route, south of Hispaniola and Cuba, with a stop in the Caymans before continuing between Cancun Cuba and across the Gulf to Gulf Port.

So, from those who have 'been there and done that,' are we too late for a sensible trip? My expectation is that we'll see less wind in general and more squalls and thunderstorms than if we left in May but that it's still doable.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:35   #2

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Routing SXM - GPT advise

You never got a reply, curious what your plan is? Plenty of deliveries have been done at this time of the year, keep a close eye on the tropics and have contingencies worked out along the way for storms or mechanical issues. Boat is new to you and while I haven't always followed my own advice, good to sail some locally before shoving off.

Hopefully this will prompt some input from someone with relevant experience.

So, what's up with getting your boat home? Pretty exciting. I have no familiarity with the lavezzi, but I'm sure it will make a sweet pad on the water. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 17:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
You never got a reply, curious what your plan is? Plenty of deliveries have been done at this time of the year, keep a close eye on the tropics and have contingencies worked out along the way for storms or mechanical issues. Boat is new to you and while I haven't always followed my own advice, good to sail some locally before shoving off.

Hopefully this will prompt some input from someone with relevant experience.

So, what's up with getting your boat home? Pretty exciting. I have no familiarity with the lavezzi, but I'm sure it will make a sweet pad on the water. Congrats!

We'll be leaving SXM on June 23rd or 24th with a crew of 3.

We'll give her as much of a shake-down as we can, but there's nothing like an actual passage to uncover the "surprises". That said, my brother, sister, and I delivered a factory fresh Lagoon 400 out of Les Sables d'Ollone with no more than a Sunday afternoon picnic on the bay before setting sail for the Madeiras on our way to the Antilles, and not a single problem underway. Maybe lightning can strike twice.

Insuring the boat was a royal pain. Amazingly, getting a rider for this late delivery was a piece of cake. That doesn't mean that we'll be taking the weather for granted. You can be sure that given the time of year, we'll have a competent weather router looking out for us and plenty of hiding holes planned along the way.

We're super excited about the boat. The wife's already retired, I'm done January 1, and by February we should be cruising full time.
Old 02-06-2015, 19:51   #4

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Right on! You're all set - have fun.

cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58   #5

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
Just closed the deal on our 2006 FP Lavezzi 40 currently located in St Martin!!!!

Work commitments and some minor repairs mean that we won't be able to get underway on our delivery from St Martin to Gulfport Mississippi until June 18. This is about six weeks later than I'd prefer to do the trip.

Unless there is a significant weather reason at departure time, we're planning to take the southern route, south of Hispaniola and Cuba, with a stop in the Caymans before continuing between Cancun Cuba and across the Gulf to Gulf Port.

So, from those who have 'been there and done that,' are we too late for a sensible trip? My expectation is that we'll see less wind in general and more squalls and thunderstorms than if we left in May but that it's still doable.
Of course you know this is during hurricane season. So thought I'd let you know that should you get caught out there Errol Flynn Marina in Port Antonia Jamaica is a good spot to go into. The marina lies between mountains and a circuitous inlet helps protect boats there. We came East Feb - May of 2014 from Belize and stayed in Port Antonio for several weeks. We were impressed and actually may hang there for hurricane season on our trip back to Belize in 2016.

Check out the April 2014 post "Jamaica Farewell". Other posts talk about our trip along the Southern coast of Cuba, Hispanola and PR. Wrong way,wrong time of year but you may glean a few pointers.
S/V WAHOO

New Boat - Wonderful Fun!!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:26   #6
cruiser

I really wish I could tell you something, but since I haven't gotten outta here yet, I have nothing to offer but best wishes

I know your brother (Bill, right?) and we hope to meet you when you get this way. We're in OS, have a Catana 40S
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
I really wish I could tell you something, but since I haven't gotten outta here yet, I have nothing to offer but best wishes

I know your brother (Bill, right?) and we hope to meet you when you get this way. We're in OS, have a Catana 40S

Jaybird - yep, that's my brother with the Lagoon 400. Stay in touch with him in early July. I expect there will be a party in the Pass upon our arrival.