Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 04:15   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Routing Choices - Canaries to the Caribbean

I'm heading to St Martin so I am still tossing up my routing. An option is going north of Gran Canaria, round the bottom of Tenerife and north of Herro.

Whats that like with the wind shaddow from Tenerife, Barnie? I don't mind motoring a few hours as I am only racing aganst myself
It would seem to be smaller than going south of Gran Canaria where I'd get wind shadow from all 3.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 05:55   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'm heading to St Martin so I am still tossing up my routing. An option is going north of Gran Canaria, round the bottom of Tenerife and north of Herro.

Whats that like with the wind shaddow from Tenerife, Barnie?
The shadow of Tenerife is deepest when it blows from the N or NW. If the wind is in the NE one can just follow the wind tunnel. Easy by day - you can see where the puff is and where the calm starts. By night simply do not be tempted to make any Westing early. It is not that easy for all those who take of from Gran Canaria as they would soon end up on an African beach. In any case - anybody willing to start the engine will have a pleasant trip on the relatively flat water with nice view of the islands.

Do not sail by el Hierro without visiting. It is supposed to be very pretty. It is the island where the zero meridian used to be (exactly at la Orchilla lighthouse) before the Brits came and took it to Greenwich. The lighthouse keeper awaited them with a loaded gun. There are a book and a movie on this event.

El Hierro has an amazing place called el sabinal - a pine 'forest' place where the dwarf pines are shaped lovely by the wind.

Pictures from:

Canarynet (la orchilla)
Pedro Hernandez Rodriguez (el sabinal)

Cheers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orchilla.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	20563   Click image for larger version

Name:	elsabinal.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	20564  

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 06:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It means open a book and read how far the calm in the lee of an island extends related to the height of the island. Then stay away of the zone.
In other words, it is analogous to the "Wind shadow" effect in aviation but on a bigger scale. When landing, we have to watch up for something as simple as a building being upwind in the airflow. When you descend to a certain height you find the the airspeed drops dramatically (the groundspeed stays the same) and you can stall the aircraft just 50 feet above the runway. Ooops!!! In the wind shadow the air is no longer flowing uniformly and as a result the amount of lift generated by the wing decreases.

At least on a boat you get to sit there. In an aircraft this can kill you.

Thanks for clarifying the point and adding to my education on matters nautical.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 08:32   #4
Long Range Cruiser

1892 Pilot Chart

Hi Folks,

I have attached my 1892 Pilot Chart... well I think its 1892 because it says 1890 then has details of a 1891 cyclone....

Anyway the interesting bit is the sailing ship route with is definity the northern route.

the chart is for July and I know the trades are more settled in then in direction. I can't find sailing ship ones for November and December (the goat ate them???)

But I'm interested in peoples opinions if this chart gives any more information than we already have

Theres other stuff that fun to read on it too, unfortuanatly I can't read any of the notes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1892 nth atlantic July pilot chart.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	20567  

Old 27-10-2010, 10:11   #5

You can compare the calendar situation on chart 100 by Imray. It shows the average pressures in July and December as well as a couple of other months.

The ITCZ is supposed to move by at least 5 degs and many sources claim more than this. The top limit of NE trades is supposed to move by at least such an amount.

One must consider additional facts - like the bent of the N limit of the trades (close to the continent) and also the presence of nasty Low pressure systems in the winter - we not only want to stay with the trades but also away from the swell as much as possible.

And, as said before, with modern aids to meteorology never ever stick to the square rigged tall ships route unless, off course, the actual weather situation strictly adheres to the STATISTICAL picture as seen on Pilot Charts.

In a word - sail by what there is, not by what you know from the Pilot Chart. The Pilot Chart is there to do the planning, and it is great for just that.

b.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:20   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:

Whats that like with the wind shaddow from Tenerife, Barnie? I don't mind motoring a few hours as I am only racing aganst myself
It would seem to be smaller than going south of Gran Canaria where I'd get wind shadow from all 3.
Not sure it's worth it by the time you motor up round the top end of Gran Canaria. The calm area south of gran Canaria isn't that big, especially if you head south a bit before turning more west. The wind acceleration zone between Gran canaria and Tenerife is possibly the strongest, I've had gusting 50kts there before, but if you keep a bit south it won't be as bad. Then south of Hierro might keep out of the worst of the other accel zones, or go between Gomera and Hierro which might be a bit breezier.
If the weather is doing what it usually does, I spent a year and half there and the wind was pretty consistant but then motored for 3 days south in flat calm after leaving Arguinaguin for Cape Verde.
Have a good passage.
BTW, there's an oriental minimercado in little street in the middle gran canaria - Google Maps
does 12.5Kg bags of rice and is good for spices if that's your thing. I only ever saw 1kg bags of rice elsewhere.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 16:38   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Mark I've sailed the canaries extensively and i can't see the point of going that way. ( unless you want to visit el hiero) getting around the top of gran canaria is a pain.

Just stay out of the acceleration zone hear the airport ( there's a reason all the wind generators ate there!) go south first.

Generally the wind can be light after leaving the canaries and making you way south. The trades tend to strengthen and settle further south and west.

Bon voyage

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 17:07   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
BTW, there's an oriental minimercado in little street .
Thanks Its the Instant Noodles I need. They dont have them in Carefour and I am addicted to MSG since Indonesia. About midnight on watch I just get this slow hankering for instant nooooooodles..........

I can't help it, Doctor...

Old 27-10-2010, 18:54   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Time you got yourself to sea again, young man!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 16:21   #10

Quote:
Thanks Its the Instant Noodles I need. They dont have them in Carefour and I am addicted to MSG since Indonesia. About midnight on watch I just get this slow hankering for instant nooooooodles..........

I can't help it, Doctor...
Try the Chinese (correction: Korean) shops just before the mercado (the red one) - there are two facing the side of the building and there is also one just before the corner (nearly facing the threads and ribbons shop). (Just before - as coming from the beach side).

barnie

Tags
Canaries, Caribbean