Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2016, 11:19   #1

Boat: Robertson & Cain Leopard 38 - Island destiny
Roatan to Panama stops, Islands

I am looking for information on ports to stop between Roatan and Panama in the West Caribbean. This summer my friends and I will be traveling from Belize to Colon, Panama in order to transit the Canal. I did this passage in 2005 and I would like to break up the long stretch from Roatan to Panama. Last time we stopped in San Andreas which was welcome but this time I would like to make a stop at the Corn Islands. I am particularly interested in the Corn Islands as I met up with a lobster fishing boat from there called "Captain Cameron" in 2005 and became friends with some of the crew. I understand these are beautiful islands and that they are seldom visited. I believe one must first check in at Bluefields. Any one have first hand experience of this or any other convenient rest stop on the passage?

Old 22-02-2016, 21:22   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Roatan to Panama stops, Islands

Most cruisers stop in at Vivarillos, Hobbies, Providencia (I much prefer over San Andreas), San Andreas, Albuquerque Cayes...

Corn Islands are well West of the direct route to Colon.

There have been some security issues along the Nica coast too, something to consider.

Old 23-02-2016, 06:45   #3

You might find this useful:

Western Carib Cruising Notes
Old 23-02-2016, 06:49   #4

Oh, and stopping at Guanaja gets you a bit further E for that notorious bash/dash around the "corner". Colombus named this cape "Gracias a Dios" after spending 2 weeks trying to round it.
Old 23-02-2016, 09:52   #5

Boat: Piver tri Serena

Big Corn Island has a local port office where foreign yachts must contact in person, then visit the Corn Islands. Just let them know when you're leaving again. That sounds like what you want. But international clearance into all of Nicaragua cannot be done at the Corn Islands; visitors must go to the mainland for that. Warning, from Roatan southbound, if you do aim for the Corn Islands, stay well east of Miskito cays and channel due to local bandito trouble in the Moskitos.

"Cruising Ports: the Central American Route" contains a chapter on southwest Caribbean that covers both Corn Islands plus San Andres, Providencia, the Moskito Channel (avoid that), the Nicaragua Banks, Cayo Vivorillo, etc. It's my book, we're constantly updating it, and it's sold on Amazon. Just sayin, Corns are fine, Moskitos are not.
Old 23-02-2016, 15:19   #6

Boat: Robertson & Cain Leopard 38 - Island destiny

Thank you for the great info on visiting Corn Island. I was not able to find that information anywhere. Do you have the specific contact information for visiting? I will be happy to post a follow-up after we go there.
Thanks,
Robin
Old 23-02-2016, 22:01   #7

Boat: Piver tri Serena

No, I don't have any more specific contact info - other than to hail the port authorities on Big Corn Island on VHF 16 as you approach from sea. They'll tell you where to anchor safely and come ashore to their office to present yourself, passports, etc.

Tags
Panama

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: