Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 07:01   #1

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Rigger needed, Wrightsville to Chesapeake

Hi, we're on a British yacht and have just arrived at Wrightsville, North Carolina - we planned to make landfall much further north, but we headed here after damaging a lower shroud.

There appears to be no yacht riggers here in Wrightsville, so we're going to motor north up the ICW to Chesapeake Bay and hopefully get a new rigging wire somewhere en-route; anybody able to advise where we might find a good/reliable yacht-rigger?

Also, we've had several people tell us that if we get to the US east-coast "Look out for the marine salvage yards, to get second-hand/used yacht parts" Again, can anyone advise as to where these are located?
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:18   #2

Boat: Perry 41
Re: Rigger needed, Wrightsville to Chesapeake

I know of a rigger in Wrightsville that could help you out. His name is Lars Bergstom from Sailfish Canvas and Bergstom Sails. I broke a shroud and he had me on the way the next day.

His number is (910) 512 2970

Good luck
patr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:21   #3

Boat: Golden Gate 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Hi, we're on a British yacht and have just arrived at Wrightsville, North Carolina - we planned to make landfall much further north, but we headed here after damaging a lower shroud.

There appears to be no yacht riggers here in Wrightsville, so we're going to motor north up the ICW to Chesapeake Bay and hopefully get a new rigging wire somewhere en-route; anybody able to advise where we might find a good/reliable yacht-rigger?

Also, we've had several people tell us that if we get to the US east-coast "Look out for the marine salvage yards, to get second-hand/used yacht parts" Again, can anyone advise as to where these are located?
I can't speak to a Wrightsville, NC rigger, but I would be blown away if there wasn't one in that area given the number of sailboats there. Hopefully, some of the locals here can comment further, but there should be one or several. You shouldn't need to go far to find one.

As for salvage yards and consignment shops, there are some that are publicly advertised, this list might be a good place to start:

Good Old Boat - Consignment Stores

I would also advise asking locals wherever you stop, there are often shops and yards that aren't publicly advertised. There is a yard near us in Melbourne FL, the owner has a salvage contract with the state and keeps the boats, but he doesn't advertise at all. The only way you'd find out about it is by asking.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:38   #4

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

If you don't get it handled in Wrightsville, then there are several boatyards in the Beaufort and Oriental area. Deatons and Sailcraft in Oriental will take care of it.

Welcome to NC!
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 09:32   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Mark at Sailcraft in Oriental, NC is a great rigger. Sailcraft also has a bucket lift mounted right at the haulout slip which should make this job easy.

Also, check out the Marine Consignment Store on Broad Street in Oriental.

Daviid
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 09:47   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

I used Anchors Away for my refit, and was pleased. Didn't need a rigger because I had already completed that. You could call them for a recommendation.

Anchors Away Boat Yard Hampstead NC Service Center, Boat Repair, Haul Out, Boat Storage, Outboard Repair Trailer Storage, Paint and Fiberglass Repair.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 13:22   #7

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Thanks for the information folks,

we're on our way to Oriental - isn't your ICW great! - We've seen more Ospreys/Sea-eagles in the last few hours, than there are in the whole of the British Isles!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 17:02   #8

Boat: Oyster 55

Got caught up in the ICW heading north from the Caribbean last week and had an unexpected engine problem necessitating my port engine being pulled. Called Sailcraft in Oriental on a whim and they took me in had my engine pulled in 2 hours and I was on my way in 24 hours only because we had to wait for a part to be shipped UPS. Would have been sooner if we did not have to wait for UPS. I cannot tell you how happy I was with the service and professionalism we were given. Have used a lot of yards in my life but I must say Sailcraft ranks as one of the highest. They could teach a lot of yards here in the northeast quite a bit. I just wish they were not so far away. While I was waiting I closely watched their rigging techniques and was similarly impressed. I would recommend them highly.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 17:10   #9

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Just up the Cape Fear River, a few miles from you in Wilmington is Bennet Brothers Boat Yard. Their rigger may be willing to make the 5-10 mile trip by car to check it out for you.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 21:05   #10

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Have used a lot of yards in my life but I must say Sailcraft ranks as one of the highest. They could teach a lot of yards here in the northeast quite a bit. I just wish they were not so far away. While I was waiting I closely watched their rigging techniques and was similarly impressed. I would recommend them highly.
Glad you had a good experience, and back on the water. We've got it made in Oriental. Deaton's is a really well run yard across the creek. I like both and have used both, mostly just for haul and DIY. Deaton's has gone way out of their way to help me and Alan, the owner of Sailcraft has always made himself personally available when I need assistance, and nothing special about me. I see him scurrying around the yard all day - cant miss him.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 21:58   #11

Avoid Bearing Marine in Wilmington. No rigger on staff and poor follow up. They didn't stand behind our work!
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote