Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2010, 13:58   #1

Requirements for Cruising Documents ?

hope I am asking this in the right forum?

I want to know if I need a pasport to sail my boat from montreal to the bahamas?
if not what documents do I need?
thanks
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 14:05   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Yes you can go without a passport. Provided Canada owns the Bahamas.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 14:15   #3

I have never heard this before, your pulling my leg right?
Old 16-08-2010, 14:33   #4

Half the things he tells you, he's pulling your leg. The other half, he's pulling your other leg.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 14:47   #5

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Half the things he tells you, he's pulling your leg. The other half, he's pulling your other leg.
.... but his 3rd half is the important one... you've got to take that one seriously

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 14:51   #6

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Provided Canada owns the Bahamas.
Which in fact they do not. Therefore, while everything Mark says is true (in this thread so far anyway ). You probably do need a passport.

Daz
Pau Hana Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 14:55   #7

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
And you need to checkout at Customs and Immigration from your last country visited and take that paperwork to the country you want to enter. See the noonsite website for country-specific requirements.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 16:34   #8

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma
You need a passport to travel through US waters and to enter the Bahamas. You also have to get a US cruising permit and inform customs and immigration of your movements and any deviation from your intended landfalls while in US waters. You need to sigh into the Bahamas and pay $300.00 usd for their year long permit which includes a fishing license.
As a fellow Canadian I can tell you that the pristine waters and the general seclusion of most of the islands there is well worth it.
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 16:39   #9

www.noonsite.com/countries is your friend.

You will need passports for all, registration (Federal Canadian is better than provincial since whoever you are checked in by may have never seen a Quebec registration document, and most likely doesn't speak French), radio licenses (station and operator), etc.

They may not actually check but you're a whole lot better off having them than not.
Old 16-08-2010, 16:50   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
It seems to fit a pattern:
* American Samoa
* British Virgin Islands
* French Polynesia
* Canadian Bahamas
Old 16-08-2010, 17:37   #11
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I think the point is you can sail anywhere your boat and your skills will take you. But you can only tie up where you have the right paperwork, and that changes depending on where you are. The good news is that as a Canadian you are high on the list of desirable guests and visa/entry requirements should be reasonable.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 18:26   #12

Kidding aside, I can't speak to Bahamian requirements, but the U.S. I know something about. There are a couple of options for you that are acceptable besides a Canadian passport, but they've all got ominous names, like "NEXUS." It is unfortunate that we can't run around our hemisphere with drivers' licenses like we used to, but it is what it is.

A Canadian passport will give almost any customs official the warm and fuzzies. Make your life easy and get one. Worry about other stuff instead, there's plenty.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 21:42   #13

we get so many deferent stories, and pepoles telling them will look you in the eyes and push there belifs on you, as if they really think its the honets truth.

one guy said to me at the marina, hey I go every winter and all I have is my drivers licence, been doing it for years never a problem, trust me just pack the boat and leave just dont go the usa coastal way.

sins I have not yet aplyed for a pasport I was very happy to hear that I dont need one. I could leave now that I have a seawarthy boat, in fact I have the hitches real bad and fall is coming fast, looks like an other winter in the snow, daang!!
Old 17-08-2010, 00:57   #14

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
I am a US citizen who has spent the last ten winters in the Bahamas. This is bit of a special case that warrants further research. The Bahamas and Canada are both part of the British Commonwealth. The flight from Nassau to London, for example, is a domestic flight. I think it follows that, if you go right to the Bahamas from Canada you might not need a passport. The real question is are you ready to spend a month at sea to avoid landing in the US?

If you touch the US the story changes. Your friend might have been able to come to the US with a driving licence before, but that was then and this is now. The new TSA rules require a passport to come to the US from Canada

As a US citizen, when I take my boat from the US to the Bahamas, I need my passport and ships papers. I have taken both state registered boats and documented boats over. You might not need the passport. Ships papers are mandatory. Everything else said applies. Cruising permit for one year $150 if you are under 35 feet. Over that $300 for the same. Cash only. Renewable for an additional year for $600. They really don't want you to stay.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:13   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Bahamas has a Consulate in Toronto and a High Commission in Ottawa; they also have a website. Good news is you don't require a visa for stays less than 30 days; bad news you need a passport. Bahamas Visa, Canada: Application for Bahamian Visa for Canadians.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote