Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 15:27   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
Recommended Anchorages Around Vieques and Culebra ?

My hubby and I are going to bareboat the Spanish Virgin Islands mid-December and curious if any of you have a favorite spot you’d like to share. Also, does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for Culebra (Dewey) or Esperanza?

Thanks,
Michelle
2theSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 21:06   #2

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Ensenada Dakity is very nice and around the corner in the Honda you can anchor and hit Dewey then meander over to Las Pelas then over to Culebrita excellent little trip.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 00:10   #3

Boat: Tartan 30- Immrama
If you are on the south side of Vieques during a new moon, take a side paddle in the bioluminescent bay, quite remarkable. In July 2008, when I was there, I saw lots of beautiful beaches but the warning signs and the random explosions from the ordinance disposal teams made staying on the boat and off the beach very attractive. We were there around the Fourth of July so the anchorages on the north shore of Vieques and the east end of Culebra were crowded with power boats from the big island. We were able to anchor close to Dewey, however. Mamacitas was the only place we ate off the boat, good food, great atmosphere, and I think I remember a great mango mojito.

A popup storm during the short passage from Culebra to Culebrita washed a poorly stowed line off the bow which fowled the prop as soon as we powered up to go into the anchorage on the north side of Culebrita. We were able to practice grabbing a mooring ball under sail in a strange boat which was appreciated by the few sailors present among the wall to wall sportfishermen. A Hunter 49 charter/condo stops surprisingly quickly when you head it up into the wind. Choose your overnight around Culebrita according to the wind and waves. We had a surprisingly rolly first night in the north side anchorage thanks to a storm passing to the north. We did explore the island some but it was too hot to hike all the way up to the old lighthouse on top of the hill.
on land- Nashville, TN
fastfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 02:33   #4

Boat: Boatless
Lovely area, I took 9 Sea Scouts and 4 supervisors sailing there for a week last year. Just get the chart pack for the area. If you need a marinas/water/fuel Puerto Del Rey in Fajardo is very professional and a very easy fuel dock to get to.

Holding in some of the anchorages in Vieques is not good but the beaches are lovely...no development due to the US Navy using as a bombing range for 40-50 yrs.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 04:19   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
On Culebra, I'd add Bahia de Almodovar--simply beautiful and serene, and enough out of the way that you can be there all by yourself. Don't miss Culebrita, and take a hike ashore. On Vieques, we enjoyed Bahia Icacos in the northeast, for it's beautiful white sand beaches. Street's guide tells yo how to find your way in there. You can see rusted military equipment on the hillsides there--targets for bombing practice back when the Navy was in control. Bahia Honda on the south shore is a largish bay with mangroves all around.

In the more popular areas, pick your spot for the weekend early, since the power yachts from PR come out in force.
Old 20-10-2009, 14:51   #6

Boat: Islander Yachts Corp, Bahamas 30 shoal draft 4 ft
Send a message via MSN to casique8
Sir
vieques island the navy has gone from that island a long time ago, its ok to go anywere now.
Old 20-10-2009, 15:04   #7

Thanks all for the great info!!!

From the sounds of it, Culebrita is an absolute must. Is the north side the best to stay? Would a 2nd hook to put the bow to waves help with the rolling?

Both Ensenada Dakity and Bahia de Almodovar look to be promising on Culebra and may be end up as a game time decision if limited to just one. Luckily we’ll be there right smack on a new moon so the bioluminescent bay will be a priority for sure. Robin, we’re you able to anchor nearby or is Sun Bay the closest?
Old 21-10-2009, 04:58   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In Culebrita, you pick up a free mooring buoy. The swell, if there is any, will be less noticeable on the outer moorings.

p.s. when we were in Bahia Icacos, there were signs at the beach margin warning not to go inland due to unexploded ordnance.
Old 21-10-2009, 06:04   #9

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by casique8 View Post
Sir
vieques island the navy has gone from that island a long time ago, its ok to go anywere now.
We got kicked out of the bay at the eastern end of the south side (name escapes me charts on boat) in April 2007 in no uncertain terms by a very officious man from the US Navy - long after they had "left".

Maybe there has been change since, but until they mop up all the shells they shot I think they still have something to say on anchoring.
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 07:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
When you go to Culebrita, do NOT do the hike to the lighthouse. If you insist, wear long pants and long sleeve shirts and shoes, not sandels. The vegetation is brutal, and not worth the view. Just warning you...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 11:19   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyTim View Post
We got kicked out of the bay at the eastern end of the south side (name escapes me charts on boat) in April 2007 in no uncertain terms by a very officious man from the US Navy - long after they had "left"...
Probably Bahia Salina del Sur. We motored through the bay just to have a look at it. Lot's of evidence of aerial bombing practice on the hillsides. We ended up anchored for the night in Ensenada Honda, just to the west of Bahia Salina del Sur. A bit tricky to get into, but worth it for the quiet, pretty anchorage and solitude.
Old 22-10-2009, 00:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
When you go to Culebrita, do NOT do the hike to the lighthouse. If you insist, wear long pants and long sleeve shirts and shoes, not sandels. The vegetation is brutal, and not worth the view. Just warning you...
You must live somewhere fabulous! I thought they were absolutely stunning, 360 degrees over to the Virgins, back to mainland PR and the superb little bay on the north side. Plus the really interesting abandoned wreck of the lighthouse - I guess we all have different things we like.
Old 22-10-2009, 00:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Probably Bahia Salina del Sur. .
It was, just checked on Google Earth.
Old 22-10-2009, 08:55   #14

Hud, did you use Street's guide for Ensenada Honda on Vieques as well? We picked up that book but wondering if it is still fairly accurate since published in 2001.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old 22-10-2009, 12:49   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, I did, Michelle. Street's descriptions of the anchorages and the tricky entrances are still valid, even though it's an old book. Steve Pavlidis has published a guide to Puerto Rico, including the Spanish Virgins, but I've not seen it.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Culebra, esperanza, spanish virgin islands, vieques