Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 17:03   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Recommendation for Marina in Ft Myers Area

We are planning to bring our boats to Florida in October, leave them until March of next year, and then return to head to the Bahamas for a few months. Several people have recommended doing this in October when the weather is good, breaking the trip up like this, which will make for a nicer beginning of trip when we head to Bahamas. (Hope that makes sense. Basically, my Florida friends say the Texas group looks like dog crap when they arrive in Florida after fighting the winter transit otherwise!)

Ft Myers is probably about as far as we can get with time off in October. Would like to know if someone can recommend a secure marina for several months "storage" in the area. Bonus would be if we could pay someone to watch the boats, wash them once per month, report if anything stolen, etc.

Feel pretty anxious about leaving a boat unattended for that long, but one of the boats traveling with us says it will be ok. (He's guessing, I think!)
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:42   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Recommendation for Marina in Ft Myers Area

Ft. Myers Yacht Basin is about 15 - 18 miles up the River from Punta Rassa this makes it fairly safe as far as weather is concerned. The basin is walled so the water is flat at all times. The facility is well manned and I'm sure that for the right amount of $$ you can hire a boat sitter. I use to live aboard there many years ago and it always felt safe. Depending on your mast height (there is a lift bridge with a 49' clearance and it's on the other side of the lake) your on your way through the canal to Port St. Lucy. Hope this helps.
JPCorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:33   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We are planning to bring our boats to Florida in October, leave them until March of next year, and then return to head to the Bahamas for a few months. Several people have recommended doing this in October when the weather is good, breaking the trip up like this, which will make for a nicer beginning of trip when we head to Bahamas. (Hope that makes sense. Basically, my Florida friends say the Texas group looks like dog crap when they arrive in Florida after fighting the winter transit otherwise!)

Ft Myers is probably about as far as we can get with time off in October. Would like to know if someone can recommend a secure marina for several months "storage" in the area. Bonus would be if we could pay someone to watch the boats, wash them once per month, report if anything stolen, etc.

Feel pretty anxious about leaving a boat unattended for that long, but one of the boats traveling with us says it will be ok. (He's guessing, I think!)
You might want to take a look at the Tarpon Point Marina, 5971 Black Marlin Dr, Cape Coral, FL 33914, 239-549-4900. I suggest you also take a look at the area on the ActiveCaptain Interactive Cruising Guide. Registration at ActiveCaptain is free.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:55   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Thanks for both of those suggestions. Yes, I am on Active Captain as well. But most feedback there is from transient boaters passing thru. We would be there for quite a bit longer. Hoping to get feedback from someone staying there, that can comment on security, etc. Again, my concern is showing up to start a three month cruise, and finding I need to start replacing things that walked off in the meantime. And I know how to secure a boat, but locks generally don't mean anything if there is no presence to deter that kind of activity.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:12   #5
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

You may consider Burnt Store Marina inside Charlotte Harbor. Well protected and secure. Maintenance services are available inside the marina.
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:21   #6

Boat: 41 Morgan 1971

Last year I as in a similar situation, I went to Rose Marina,951 Bald Eagle Dr
Marco Island, FL 34145, 239-394-2502/1-877-864-0588. Staff was great, kept a good eye on my boat when I was gone, communicated easily when needed. May be a bit pricey, but it gave me great peace of mind.
dduresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:34   #7

Boat: Gulf 32

Hello I have lived aboard in Florida for many years, If your mast height is less than 48 feet, then I would highly recommend Glades Boatyard just west of Lake Okeechobee. The price is right, the security is great, the boats are stored on land. Mast height is only if you want to continue east for the Bahamas. I have used them twice to do the bottom job myself before heading to Bahamas. Hope your boat's beam will work.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:06   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Thanks for both of those suggestions. Yes, I am on Active Captain as well. But most feedback there is from transient boaters passing thru. We would be there for quite a bit longer. Hoping to get feedback from someone staying there, that can comment on security, etc. Again, my concern is showing up to start a three month cruise, and finding I need to start replacing things that walked off in the meantime. And I know how to secure a boat, but locks generally don't mean anything if there is no presence to deter that kind of activity.
The advantage at Tarpon Point is the fact that the Marina is within a high end gated condominium and luxury hotel complex with controlled access and 24/7/365 security. Nothing comes into or out of the Marina entry that isn't seen on security cameras. One can also hire a "boat sitting" service to make regular visits to the boat to keep her clean and ensure that all is well aboard. There is also WiFi that would allow one to use a remote web-enabled camera aboard so that one could actually view the boat if one so chose. We stayed at that complex for several days when visiting our daughter who attends college near-by and were impressed with the place, the staff, and the facilities. It might be worth a visit before making a decision but there are few other places in that area where I'd feel comfortable leaving our boat short of the St. Charles Yacht Club. Any place with easy public access would be suspect.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10   #9

If your mast is over 55 feet you will have difficulty in the Caloosahatchie getting to Ft Myers Yacht Basin otherwise it is a good option. Options with no height problems are Burnt Store, Tarpon Point, Marinatown, Cape Coral Yacht Club, Diversified Marina, Moss Marina, Snook Bight. All are on the internet, good luck.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:13   #10

Boat: making a purchase soon, Regal 3060

I kept my SeaRay 310 Sundancer at Salty Sam's for two years and they were great. Since I live in Ca. I would call ahead to have my boat pulled from storage and it was docked and ready to go when I arrived. Have a good service dept. also.
cruiserchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:33   #11

Boat: American Tug

Check with Port Sanibel Marina. It has 24-security.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:37   #12

The City of Fort Myers Yacht basin has a large live-aboard community that looks out for one another. It is right downtown as well. There are security cameras for the yacht basin and pricing is ok. I have lived here for 3 years personally and it is a nice place. They are in the middle of privatizing it which may eliminate the live-aboards. No one knows yet but things should shake out before October so select one or two locations as back up so you have options. Paradise Marina may have room too.
swpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47   #13

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

The City of Fort Myers Yacht Basin treated us well when we stayed there for a few days on our way South to Key West. Good people, good location, and I believe Security to be ok although docks were really not secured.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:01   #14

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Glades boat storage 10 miles east of LaBelle, 40 east of Ft Myers you would be stored on the hard in their yard, fairly secure location. Port LaBelle a marina with dock space, most docks without water or electric is about 3 miles east of LaBelle, both places are inexpensive due to location off the coast and also offer better protection from weather due to being inland and fresh water. I keep my boat at a private dock about 5 miles west of Labelle on the south side of the old river channel and spend much of the year there, might be interested in checking on your boat.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:37   #15

Well, I would surely suggest instead of stopping in Ft. Meyers, that you take a couple of extra days and come to Stuart on the east coast of Lake "O" There are plenty of mooring field slots or dockage, whichever you prefer, and a host of owner absentee services which you would desire. Once you are on the east coast you are a straight shot to the Bahamas. Would probably take a couple of days to cross the lake. There is a lift bridge on the Stuart side of 49' but the Indiantown Marina has a guy with a heeling system for boats that would probably be 50' or so. Indiantown marina also has storage slips both in water and out of the water for short term or long term storage. Indiantown is about 20 miles from Stuart in the Okeechobee waterway. I believe there are 5 locks between ft. meyers and stuart, so pickup some extra old big fenders. Not sure you have ever locked through before but you would be well taken care of, the lock masters are very nice, and if you have never gone through a lock, just let them know you are a virgin and they will take it nice and slow. Hope this helps.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men