Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 11:57   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Recommendation for Marina in Ft Myers Area

Well I am writing and looking up stuff, and checking on things as they are posted. Lots to think about, and really thank everyone. But not to stop any other ideas, please.

Just FYI, my mast height is 53 ft above the water, so that apparently kills some of these.

I think we are probably stretching it to get to Ft Myers. We are trying to do this in three weeks, from Kemah. If weather permits, we will make a few layover days. Or likely that weather is going to choose the layover days for us. My wife will be one of the crew, so cannot fully be in "boat transport" mode. Good if there are stops along the way. Some.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:20   #17

Boat: Present Sundeck Trawler, 42'

I recommend Marinatown Yacht Harbour. I have lived aboard here for two years, reasonable price, nice place, no problems with pilferage. Easy access to Caloosahatchee waterway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mannix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 15:40   #18

Boat: Hunter 30

Charlotte Harbor boat storage will pull and store your boat on the hard.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:17   #19

Boat: Beneteau 411

I would also recommend putting on the hard at Port Charlotte boat storage. That's where mine currently resides...No chance of her sinking in her slip!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:19   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Probably a really stupid question, but does that ruin the bottom paint? I thought it had to stay wet. That was a long time ago though, that someone told me that.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:52   #21

Boat: Beneteau 411

I'd like to hear others chime in on this (the effects on bottom paint while being on the hard) All i can say with certainty is when my bottom was done last November, the people that did it was concerned I get the boat back in the water within a short time frame. I can't recall the exact reasoning. I've been told by those who's opinions I respect that hauling the boat when not in use saves the bottom, which makes since to me with an ablative but can't explain why a fresh bottom should be put in the water as soon as practical.

tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:52   #22

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailm8 View Post
Charlotte Harbor boat storage will pull and store your boat on the hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
I would also recommend putting on the hard at Port Charlotte boat storage. That's where mine currently resides...No chance of her sinking in her slip!
Just before you get to CH boat storage, you reach Safe Cove. That is where our boat is being stored (on the hard) right now until the end of hurricane season. It is a great place with lots of space and really nice folks.

But I would really recommend Burnt Store, inside of Charlotte Harbor. The marina is in a gated community. There is a live-aboard area with pump-outs right at your slip, a small store, and nice restaurants. It is 10 miles from Home Depot and Publex grocery store. You can't haul out there but it is a great place to keep your boat in the water.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:55   #23

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Probably a really stupid question, but does that ruin the bottom paint? I thought it had to stay wet. That was a long time ago though, that someone told me that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
I'd like to hear others chime in on this (the effects on bottom paint while being on the hard) All i can say with certainty is when my bottom was done last November, the people that did it was concerned I get the boat back in the water within a short time frame. I can't recall the exact reasoning. I've been told by those who's opinions I respect that hauling the boat when not in use saves the bottom, which makes since to me with an ablative but can't explain why a fresh bottom should be put in the water as soon as practical.
From what I've learned hanging around boat yards and reading, it depends on the paint. I'm not really up on which paint does what. I'm sure you guys will get lots of opinions on that.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 14:37   #24

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma

Hi: I did a lot of researching and phoning prior to moving my boat to SW Florida my largest concern being big storms. I have been at Port of the Islands Marina for almost 6 years now and head to the Bahamas from here almost every year. We draw 4' of water and just have to time our entrance to high tide. The marina is 7 miles in from the Gulf with lots of mangroves between it and the Gulf waters as a storm surge buffer, the price is great due to the inconvenience and its 14 miles south of Naples and real quiet. There are always people around who sort of keep an eye on everything and a couple live aboard docks.
Call Lou at 239-821-2885
I know a few people here that are always around and would look after and check up on your boats.
Bahamas is easy from here, glad to share, heading over in November.
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 14:40   #25

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Burnt store marina

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:39   #26

Boat: gemini 3200

Before we retired to cape coral, we left our boat for 3 months at Paradise Marina across the river from ft myers yacht basin. A small marina with a live aboard community and great rates.

-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:59   #27

Im not sure how you would feel about storing a boat at a house, but we have a sailboat access house just off the Caloosahatchee river in north fort myers florida. If you are looking for someone to boat sit for you, depending on what you are offering, I would be inclined to do so. I have lived here in the fort myers area my whole life. I would be willing to watch the boat anywhere in North fort myers and cape coral. I can tell you that the Fort Myers Yacht basin is pretty expensive ($600/800) month depending if you want power and what not. Some of these slips around here will run you even more. How ever, Marina Town is a great place, they are a lot less expensive and are right down the road from my house. I know a couple people who have their boats there and they love it.
If you are interested in having someone stay aboard, or watch your boat, PM me, I am open to a couple options. Im trying to slowly get the wife used to the boat life so when we retire it wont be shell shock.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 11:13   #28

Boat: Island Packet 40

Check out Fort Myers Beach...Salty SAMs Marina or Miller Marina as options.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men