Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: I think this is:
The best way to spend a summer! 3 13.04%
Something I wish I had done when I was 30 3 13.04%
Doable if not risky and burdensome 6 26.09%
Nuts. Out of Touch With Reality. Insulting. 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 18:46   #31

Re: Reality Check: FL -> PR -> VI -> Beyond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Agree - add a zero to those numbers for real life.
Remember he is looking for an ocean sailing boat, not one good for lake or inland bays and waters.

Unless they are in their early 20's and used to smashing, crashing and camping lifestyle - it is going to cost some bucks . . .
The distinction between the two types of boats (ocean going vs inland waterway) I've always been aware of but never gave much thought to when penning the initial post. Through previous folks' responses I've gleaned the importance of various facets of a boat that make it safer and more adept at venturing out into open water.

While no longer in my early 20's (I'm 30) I'm still the type who is used to and enjoys smashing, crashing, and camping. This trip was concocted more as an adventure and less as a pleasure cruise. Being waited on and catered to was never part of the plan.

As an aside, I'm finding it odd that the majority of you who chose to respond, did so by talking to others as if I wasn't in the room. I don't mind at all, it's just... odd. Anyway, thanks all for your continued sharing of knowledge and opinion.
Globalksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 20:20   #32

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
. . . While no longer in my early 20's (I'm 30) I'm still the type who is used to and enjoys smashing, crashing, and camping. This trip was concocted more as an adventure and less as a pleasure cruise. Being waited on and catered to was never part of the plan. . . .
In that case, everything is different. I have several good friends who has crashed and bashed and enjoyed it - but - in a very solid heavy full keel double-ender of about 28 to 30 ft. These boats are not expensive but then are not cheap either. Expect to pay near to $30K for one, but it will be ready to go. Such a solid heavy displacement, well found, sailboat will get you there and back, albeit slowly but persistently.

Such a boat knows only one way to go - forward and straight through thick and thin. The boat was tiller steered when not wanting to proceed straight ahead. They has minimal systems - just solid boat, bunks, cook stove, bucket potty, and lots of places to store canned and non-perishable food stuff. You get your veggies along the way at the various stops.

I had one friend who with his 28 footer beat my 60 footer from the Spanish Virgins to the Bahamas. He could lay back in the cockpit with a leg over the tiller and plod on at 4 kts through anything. While I was dashing at 8 to 10 kts from hiding place to hiding place waiting for acceptable weather. Kind of, hare and the turtle thing. . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 04:37   #33

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Moxie Marlinspike and the low-budget adventures of the S/V Pestilence should get mentioned somewhere in this thread:

Hold Fast on Vimeo
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
As an aside, I'm finding it odd that the majority of you who chose to respond, did so by talking to others as if I wasn't in the room. I don't mind at all, it's just... odd.
I suspect that you haven't done an awful lot of participating and/or reading forums (fora?) like this one. That's pretty typical, actually. The first one or two responses will be more or less direct answers (or maybe questions, because the original question wasn't very clear). After that the responders start talking to each other, going off on tangents, and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail
Expect to pay near to $30K for one, but it will be ready to go.
Really? You think a boat that has been sitting there waiting to be sold won't need ANY outfitting at all before a venture like this one? Remember the OP is not an experienced cruiser who just takes for granted the little things that ALWAYS need to be done before heading off over the horizon.

Heck! I've come home from a 4-week cruise, spent several months doing day-sailing, and I still had to spend some time getting the boat ready before heading off on the next longer cruise. I honestly do not believe that it is possible to buy a boat that is literally "ready to go" for a serious, over-the-horizon journey, without needing at least a LITTLE bit of time spent getting it fitted out and ready.

And please don't take this as criticism, osirissail. I'm not trying to tell you that you are wrong. Not really. I think you are just forgetting the different perspectives between someone who has taken longer cruises in the past (and therefore takes for granted the preparations) and someone who is pretty much a complete newbie (as the OP is).
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:20   #35

Boat: Nassau 34

>>>Purchase a seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work. Crew/friends meet at boat and we set off for Puerto Rico, needing to arrive in San Juan by June 29th. After the wedding, head to STT and wind our way through the Drake Channel stopping to say hi to friends before continuing east/southeast. Ideally we'd be able to make it to Saint Lucia. Wherever we end up, make arrangements for the sale of the boat before flying back home. Simple, right? <<<

Is anyone getting as tired of these post as I am???
Old 17-04-2012, 06:39   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
. . . And please don't take this as criticism, osirissail. I'm not trying to tell you that you are wrong. Not really. I think you are just forgetting the different perspectives between someone who has taken longer cruises in the past (and therefore takes for granted the preparations) and someone who is pretty much a complete newbie (as the OP is).
It is just a difference in what you take "ready to go" to mean and what I mean. Since I have done years long (up to 6 years long) cruises when I mean "ready to go" that means not major refitting of spars, rigging, and other serious systems. Just some updating of worn out or obsolete stuff if the budget allows.

And - the boats I am talking about are not floating versions of modern homes with "all the comforts of home." They are basic sailboats with only what is necessary to provide a rugged safe environment. Very much like the original discussion of the "Under $500 per month" thread. The idea is - if you don't have it (a system) you don't need to fix or refit it.

My friends in such boats easily sold their boats upon arrival back on the east coast and except for some (actually a lot) of brightwork and cleaning and some painting, they were "ready to go."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:43   #37

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor View Post
>>>Purchase a seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work. Crew/friends meet at boat and we set off for Puerto Rico, needing to arrive in San Juan by June 29th. After the wedding, head to STT and wind our way through the Drake Channel stopping to say hi to friends before continuing east/southeast. Ideally we'd be able to make it to Saint Lucia. Wherever we end up, make arrangements for the sale of the boat before flying back home. Simple, right? <<<

Is anyone getting as tired of these post as I am???
I don't know? Read the sailing simply philosophy thread. I think his price is a little low.

For a one time trip a charter might be his best bet.

But if he really want's to do it. There is a cat-27 near me that was once listed for $1000. Certainly a boat that could make a short crossing in good weather. Comes fully equiped with it's own bucket, and probably needs completly rerigged before trying to raise a single sail.

BUT it could be done.

He did say he knows an experience Captain. If he listens to the Captains advice, and gives him the final say on boat, rigging, weather windows etc... he should be alright.

I'll even participate on the shakedown cruise, if the proper safety gear is aboard.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:36   #38

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Let us know when you find that seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work. I'd say you need to add at least one zero to those amounts to purchase anything that I'd cruise outside the US on.