Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 12:49   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Provisions / Stores List

What kind of detail is typically required when compliling a stores or provisions list? Can you simply state ie 50 cans food, 5 lb coffee, etc...

or is more detail required? How accurate should it be? Are these ever asked for when checking into a new country?
Old 23-11-2009, 14:34   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
All you have to do when clearing in is write "Ship's Stores" where they ask for you to declare any cargo. They don't care about your provisions.

If you're carrying an "excessive" amount of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products, they may want to know about that in more detail.
Old 23-11-2009, 14:58   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
I was never asked for details, EXCEPT in NZ, OZ and New Cal (I am afraid this last country just copying their neighbours' stupid regulations).

This much said, all 3 countries were very clear about what was OK and what was forbidden, so nil problems there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 15:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I was never asked for details, EXCEPT in NZ, OZ and New Cal (I am afraid this last country just copying their neighbours' stupid regulations).b.
Not sure that it's at all fair to categorise New Zealand's strict regulations as "stupid", when we have a fragile economy which is highly dependent on the integrity of our agricultural and horticultural industries...

Although it does remind me of the woman arriving at Auckland airport who noticed a fellow traveller, grasping his pocket, being wrestled to the ground and pinned down by three armed security guards. "What did he have in his pocket?" she asked a customs officer, "a knife or a gun?". "No", replied the officer, "a banana..."

Anyway last time I checked, NZ was not in the Atlantic or the Caribbean so you shouldn't have problems there.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:00   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
The MAF control in NZ and its counterpart in Aus would be a subject for another thread altogether I guess.

I apologize to the regulations for naming them stupid: PLS, no offense. I meant to say: You are strict in a special way!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote