Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 21:45   #1

Provisioning St Martin Simpson bay

I'm heading down next weekend to charter with Dream Yacht Charter. Where is the best place to provision in the area?
Ravenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:09   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Provisioning St Martin Simpson bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I'm heading down next weekend to charter with Dream Yacht Charter. Where is the best place to provision in the area?
If I recall correctly, Dream Yachts is on the French side in Marigot near Port Royal, correct? There are groceries scattered around Marigot, but I suggest you rent a car or taxi and get over to the Dutch side and use two markets right across the street from each other: go across the lagoon bridge and turn away from the airport; just a short distance after getting into the business area, find the Grand Marche on the left. They have a parking lot. Decent shopping there, but first walk across the street to the small Chinese market where prices will generally be lower. What you don't find there, check for in the Grand Marche. Otherwise, ask how to get to the Cost U Less in Cole Bay, Dutch side. It's like a Costco, but no membership needed.

Good luck,
Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

There are only smallish stores within walking distance of the Capitainerie on the French side. A short dinghy ride and walk is the Simply Market on the French Side or a long dinghy ride and short walk will bring you to the Dutch side and to the somewhat cheaper "Le Grand Marche". Things are easier if you opt to rent a car, there are several vendors at the ferry terminal in Marigot where 20-30 dollars/euros per day [depending upon how good your negotiation skills are] will get you a car. I usually head to Cost-U-Less and "Le Grand Marche" in Philipsburg when I have a car and stock up there, then combine the provisioning with a bit of sightseeing (a circumnavigation of the island on the one road, perhaps a visit and hike up to Pic Paradis or excursion to Oyster Pond and Grand Case.

I'm in the lagoon right now and about to dinghy to Le Grand Marche for my provisioning. Everything is filling up today, as the Heineken Regatta begins tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:30   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We liked the U.S. Supermarché, located just north of the bridge at Sandy Ground on the French side. Wonderful selection of wines, cheeses, baguettes, fresh vegetables, etc. Just what you'd expect from the French. When we were there, there was a floating dinghy dock in the canal. We'd walk through the boat yard to get to the market.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:41   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
We liked the U.S. Supermarché...
We are talking about the same store, it was bought out/renamed/rebranded a couple of years ago to "Simply".

Tags
provisioning, St Martin