Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 17:07   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Problems in 'Paradise' :-(

highland fling--you have a helluvan imagination. did you used to torture spidey, also?? there are laws that must be followed despite our deepest secret desires.

theft is avoidable, for the most part by diligence.and vigilance. and care for items desirable, such as dinks and engines. watch your oars, also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:40   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
highland fling--you have a helluvan imagination. did you used to torture spidey, also?? there are laws that must be followed despite our deepest secret desires.

theft is avoidable, for the most part by diligence.and vigilance. and care for items desirable, such as dinks and engines. watch your oars, also.

My imagination knows no bounds......shame you did not get to find out in a real time way :-) ..........Torture spiders NOPE i AM a pacifist. and yes i am pissed off big time because we did not lift the dinghy BUT hey it is only money..........and a BIG hit on the boat kitty :-(.

The same week at Grand Case there was a mercy flight took off with obviously a pilot on board......doctor nurse and the seriously ill patient.......the plane crashed into the sea on take off and no survivors............so that puts my little problem/issue into perspective.

ALL OF THAT SAID when the law sits on it hands looks away does not want to know or get involved and does nothing then people' tend' to take the law into their own hands DONTYATHINK?

Vicar told by police it would take months to catch lead thief but he catches offender in just one night | Mail Online

NO VIOLENCE THOUGH :-(

What i would to to Teflon Tony if i got my hands on him................is not for a public forum but then there are not enough lampposts in westmonster to hang all the thieving pollyticians from - bugger wugger :-(

worked out the fix- though going to bugger up the sailing performance somewhat - wannna steal my dinghy then deal with this

Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:50   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dinghy doctor in san diego may do internet sales and deliveries---or buy locally--or someone finds yours and ye buy it back??? used shouldnt be too high...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:54   #34

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Not that I'm advocating cyanide but........
Cyanide smells like bitter almonds so you probably want to put the stuff in Amaretto. The problem with Amaretto is that i like it. Now I can't drink it anymore because some disgruntled sailor might try to do me in (for stealing his girl). I am such a stud.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:47   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dinghy doctor in san diego may do internet sales and deliveries---or buy locally--or someone finds yours and ye buy it back??? used shouldnt be too high...

AH HA.............but rather than be VICTUMS........OK VICTIMS...........even though it stuck in my gullet big time i was willing to pay the bastards to have it returned. So we printed off about 100 reward posters - English on one side and French on the other - and spent a day distributing them to all and sundry in Grand Case..........during that task we heard some nasty robbery stories from a few of the vendors. The little old lady in the art galley had been robbed three times.........The suggestion is the dinghy the AB RIB is floating about the Caribbean somewhere downwind of St Martin as the thieves only wanted the engine and associated bits. So far nothing from the local sailors who said just leave it with us.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 13:56   #36

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We always take our dink up when we are in known for crime.
Old 24-05-2012, 14:19   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Its time these thieves were shot and killed. Law breakers will break laws as long as laws dont have any deterant.
Death is the ultimate deterant, so start a killing spree and watch the crime figures drop.
I once knew someone who thought death was an appropriate penalty over a warranty issue on a Karaoke machine - and that was in a Dept Store (Maceys style, not Walmart - Manager, not the muppet sales staff) ......even after the dispute had been resolved by Store backing down .

...What swung the deal to settle was a) a pick up truck full of crazies b) Manager discovering that own Security staff were either current or past associates of the complainant (and those who were ignorant were soon educated ) and c) that the Stores local connections / protection from da Popo was likely far smaller .

...what probably stopped the death penalty being incurred was "someone" rolling his eyes and then sticking tongue out ......I say probably, because was never mentioned again (and stuff like that usually cropped up again later, even only in passing).....but I never asked, as it mattered less than I cared.

Got to be careful about wishing to live in a world full of summary "justice" - as some folks think that "an eye for an eye" is liberal wishy washy nonsense , and instead take a more pragmatic / lazy approach. "Now I think no problem"...."why?"......."dead now"....."what happen?"......"mmmmm .....I think bad luck come say hello / not sure / forget / no lucky" (delete as appropriate).

I still miss that woman .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 14:47   #38

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
could try a old africa trick.............
an expat,after having his 3rd 4x4 hijached at gun point decided to get hold of some cyanide,which he very carefully added to a nearly full bottle of johnny walkers whiskey,this he left in the glove compartment.

sure enough 3 months later he was hijacked again,two days later the newspaper ran a story about 3 dead plain clothes police officers found in a stolen 4x4....................
And maybe the police officers had found vehicle abandoned and were planing to return it to rightfull owner? (minus a whiskey reward only). Possible.

This type of trick can get one arrested for murder by the way. Laying a lethal booby trap.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:25   #39

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Get a dog?
That's great if he is so well trained that he "only" barks at the dinghy thieves. The norm, however, is that using a dog on deck as a deterrent, alienates EVERYONE in the anchorage, by barking at each and every dinghy that comes close.

IMO... Barking dogs on deck, jet skis, screaming domestic fights, loud rap music, partying loudly all night, and Air-X wind generators, are inappropriate in shared anchorages. It makes life miserable for the folks that went cruising to get away from all of the random noise in our lives.

To avoid dinghy theft, and "bumps in the night", from a wind VS current dinghy dance... We string it up along side, using the spinnaker halyard, with a quickly clipped on "wire" asymmetrical bridle. This takes about 2 minutes, and in calm weather, we have even hopped from one island to another with it up along side like this.

When we were up the Rio Dulce, if you didn't do this, your dinghy's theft was guaranteed, even if CHAINED behind your boat. Stringing it up along side OR in davits, WORKS...

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000023.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	41435  
Old 26-05-2012, 20:45   #40

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

I once knew someone who thought death was an appropriate penalty over a warranty issue on a Karaoke machine - and that was in a Dept Store (Maceys style, not Walmart - Manager, not the muppet sales staff) ......even after the dispute had been resolved by Store backing down .

...What swung the deal to settle was a) a pick up truck full of crazies b) Manager discovering that own Security staff were either current or past associates of the complainant (and those who were ignorant were soon educated ) and c) that the Stores local connections / protection from da Popo was likely far smaller .

...what probably stopped the death penalty being incurred was "someone" rolling his eyes and then sticking tongue out ......I say probably, because was never mentioned again (and stuff like that usually cropped up again later, even only in passing).....but I never asked, as it mattered less than I cared.

Got to be careful about wishing to live in a world full of summary "justice" - as some folks think that "an eye for an eye" is liberal wishy washy nonsense , and instead take a more pragmatic / lazy approach. "Now I think no problem"...."why?"......."dead now"....."what happen?"......"mmmmm .....I think bad luck come say hello / not sure / forget / no lucky" (delete as appropriate).

I still miss that woman .
Please type with at least some barely legible English so we can understand your post. I'll bet your thoughts were valuable, but we will never know.
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 22:52   #41

Boat: Oyster 45

Just a thought here....

If dingy and outboard thefts are so prevalent there has to be someone willing to buy them as without and outlet there is little point in stealing them in the first place.

Now who would want to buy a cheap dingy and outboard .....

It wouldn't happen to be someone who had had one stolen?
Old 26-05-2012, 23:56   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
Please type with at least some barely legible English so we can understand your post. I'll bet your thoughts were valuable, but we will never know.
Lol Welcome to CF
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 00:44   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Just a thought here....

If dingy and outboard thefts are so prevalent there has to be someone willing to buy them as without and outlet there is little point in stealing them in the first place.

Now who would want to buy a cheap dingy and outboard .....

It wouldn't happen to be someone who had had one stolen?
i think most of the stolen outboards from sxm end up in the dominican republic or haiti,as a return cargo for the people smugglers,the dinghys are left to drift in most cases.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 00:55   #44

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
Is English your first language?--If so, you may have problems deciphering some of DOJ's grammatical structuring.
Most of us here understand!!--well--sort of understand, what he tells us.
Its kinda like, hmmm,---lets see?--oh!, I know--Jack Soo , explaining the "crane" stance to the Karati Kid.
There!--Oh, welcome to cruisers forum, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 27-05-2012, 05:37   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It is a lot of fun to come up with "ultimate" solutions to the evils of this or that social problem like burglary, petty theft, big theft, white collar quasi-legal theft, etc., etc. And forums are fun places to left off steam about such things.

In the cruising "world" the two largest problems in this area are dinghy/motor theft and "break-in" theft from boats. If you look at the CSSN database of crime against cruisers you will wonder what can a particular country/place possibly do with the vast quantity of stolen motors and other stuff. You would wonder how many stolen outboard motors does a "local" need. The numbers approach the ridiculous of each local having 2 or more motors per year.

Over the last decade the pattern of theft has dramatically shifted with the increase in illegal drug trafficking. Like I said earlier, the nexus for the eastern Caribbean is St Vincent, one of the last "wild-west" countries. And even their "big-wig" politicians acknowledge the problem as it is starting to impact their tourism trade.

So the problem arises of how to deal with it when the country is saddled with "Western Jurisprudence" (legal systems) that require "proof" of a crime and "presence of the accuser" in order to successfully prosecute.

"Wild West" solutions of shoot first and ask questions later sound great but just don't work anymore in the "modern" world. So the only solution is the same as it is on land when you own a home in a urban or suburban area - the honest folks live behind bars and the crooks roam free. That is, you install window and door barriers to entry or the latest fad, walled-in communities. Very Medieval but effective.

For cruisers then the only solution is to make your possession too difficult to steal and hope that there are plenty of naive "newbies" around to provide easier or better targets for the evil-doers.

The savvy cruisers will take precautions and install systems to protect themselves and their property, which is not all that difficult even though it is sometimes inconvenient and requires extra effort.

But more than anything, it is the loss of "paradise" that grates. We went cruising to get away from the problems on land, only to find that those problems have migrated to the boating/cruising world. Seems the "Garden of Eden" has just too many serpents these days.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote