Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29   #1

Boat: S2 11.0A
Problems in Mexico and Honduras ?

We are leaving Texas in November for Mexico, Belize, Honduras, and maybe Panama. We are a bit concerned about the drug violence in Mexico and political turmoil in Honduras. Does anyone have recent personal experiences they can share?
Thanks,
Dave
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:05   #2

Also we are planning on taking school supplies to donate in some of the smaller villages. Does anyone know of any schools in particular that could use the help?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-08-2009, 06:23   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would imagine any school in smaller town, and villages will appreciate the help. My only concern with Mexico are border towns where the crossing are happening, and everyone is fighting for turf......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:40   #4

Boat: Shamrock 246 Open
I backpacked Honduras solo a few months ago and never felt unsafe. This was before the political fiasco but I’m sure if you use common sense and stay away from any politically driven gatherings, you should be fine.

As for Mexico, I would cross at a border town but would not stay in one. Make the crossing and drive away. If you're going into the Baja peninsula region do not speed though any of the small towns. I've never experience this but heard of speed traps or more like harassment, money making traps. Also I don't recommend driving at night for several reasons.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08   #5

Thanks for the input. We are sailing down so we would like specific info on the Quintana Roo stretch of coast and the Bay Islands if anyone has been there recently.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
You may try visiting riodulcechisme.com - Home
and posting a query on the forum there. That is a local Rio Dulce, Guatemala website that is visited by many cruisers in Guatemala, Honduras, etc. The cruisers who wind up there usually do so by passage from Isla Mujeres(near Cancun). There should be local knowledge there. You can also contact marinas at Isla Mujeres and they should be able to give you insider info. One in particular has a website, El Milagro Marina.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:15   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Route to Mexico

I do not know where you live in Texas but most Texans I know who have sailed to Central American have done so by going along the ICW coastwise to Florida and then down to the Keys from where they jump over to Isla Mujeres from Marathon or Key West. Most of the Texas sailors I have met come out of the Clear Lake/Galveston/Houston area. Marathon is where most people coming out of the Gulf states wait for weather to go either to the Bahamas or Mexico. That is our usual strategy when heading south in the fall after hurricane season.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
El Milagro Marina (Isla Mujeres, Mexico):
el Milago Marina - Vacation Marina and Apartment Rentals on Isla Mujeres, Mexico

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58   #9

Boat: Allmand 35 Pilot House s/v Melipal
Problems in Mexico & Honduras?

hi
I came down from Houston (June/July Allmand 35) to Rio Dulce, (Progreso-Isla Mujeres-Punta Allen-San Pedro-Rio Dulce). I am new to sailing (what do I know), the sailing was great and no major problems.
as far as security and border crossing goes, takes some time, but is much easier then expected, do not worry, if you master the boat and respect the weather, the rest is easy.
If you like to donate things to a school, there are plenty of them and they do need supplies, the further south, the poorer the people, I have a little Hotel on the border Guatemala/Belize, called Rio Mopan, just in our small town Melchor de Mencos (and villages around) we have 50 schools, they are all poor and would appreciate any help. In most other villages in Central America the story will be the same.
If you have any specific question feel free to ask, I try my best to answer, you can do this on the forum or private (avinsa@yahoo.com).
kind regards Marco Gross
avinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the only major problems in mexico are,. as stated before, in the border towns that have high transit use--tj, etc--- the problems in mexico have been directly drug cartel related. if you are not a member of a cartel, i fyou donot buy illegal drugs, and you do not flaunt your wealth, you should be ok.
there are many local schools and many local tiendas---all need assistance--i donot shop in gringo stores--i buy in the family owned and operated tiendas and find fresh veggies on corner mercados in the villages---tortillas in the tortillerias are excellent--speak spanish to those who are in small towns-do not treat the natives as inferior---respect goes a long way in mexico---and charity begins with respect--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsa View Post
hi
I came down from Houston (June/July Allmand 35) to Rio Dulce, (Progreso-Isla Mujeres-Punta Allen-San Pedro-Rio Dulce)...
... I have a little Hotel on the border Guatemala/Belize, called Rio Mopan, just in our small town Melchor de Mencos (and villages around)
Marco Gross
Where do you keep your boat, Marcos?

I presume you own the super cool Rio Mopan Lodge, across the Mopan River from Melchor.

Double or Single rooms with private balcony and small pool, each room overlooking the Rio Mopan:
20 - 70 $ US ? Are they kidding us ?

Rio Mopan Lodge, Melchor de Mencos, Guatemala

Belize All Inclusive Resort: MOPAN RIVER RESORT; Belize's Premier Luxury All-Inclusive Resort in the Cayo District and Belize Destination Weddings Location

Belize All Inclusive Resort: MOPAN RIVER RESORT; Belize's Premier Luxury All-Inclusive Resort in the Cayo District and Belize Destination Weddings Location

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 15:36   #12

hi
we keep the boat in Rio Dulce, yes we own the rio mopan lodge, on the guatemalan side, a cool spot to chill out...
saludos Marco
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21   #13

Thanks for all the advise. This is very useful info. We keep our boat in Clear Lake (near Galveston) and are sailing straight across to Isla Mujeres. I hate the ditch route. We have crossed to Florida and on to the Bahamas before so know whats involved in getting to Mexico.
Marco,
We are planning on having family come down while we're there and looking for places we can anchor the boat near good hotels. Will your place work for that?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28   #14

hi
our hotel is away from the sea in the jungle, we are not a typical tourist resort, our hotel is our home, nature, culture and simple, healthy life style.
I am an expert in the mayan culture and the rainforest and do work as a guide and organize tours and expeditions for special interests (since 30 years). the next few years I will dedicate time to the sea and sailing the area with all its beauties.
saludos Marco
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20   #15

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Dave,

We are also headed down to Mexico, Belize and eventually Guatemala (Rio Dulce). We will be leaving Southwest Florida sometime in November (weather permitting) for Isla Majeures. Perhaps we will see you there ....... What's you boat name?

Bill A. S/V Mobetah
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, Mexico