Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 08:14   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
Prescription refills in Bahamas and Caribbean

We are planning to sail out of St Pete, around to Key Largo, then across to the Bahamas sometime in November. No definite plans other than to sail the Abacos and eventually head East and South to the Caribbean. Both my wife and I take several prescriptions, mostly for blood pressure and mild diabetes. My question is how available prescription drugs are in these places and what is the procedure for obtaining them? In the Med, we simply walked into any pharmacy and told them what we wanted, no prescription needed; is it that way in the Bahamas?

In the Caribbean I would expect the rules would follow the procedures of the parent nation? So for British, French, Netherlands islands, etc it would work the same as most of Europe?

It's been a very long time since we were in the Caribbean; back then we were too young to need the meds, now we are too old not to need them! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim and Sherrin now aboard Persistent Lady II Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-10-2015, 08:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Prescription refills in Bahamas and Caribbean

Abaco Island Pharmacy, for instance, can fill U.S. and foreign prescriptions or refills for any doctors. Clients can have their prescriptions transferred from their pharmacies by a simple phone call. Simply have your doctor fax in a prescription or bring in your refill prescription bottles (this does not apply to controlled drugs).
Abaco Island Pharmacy

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 04:46   #3

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I only know The Bahamas and British Caribbean. You need prescriptions. I believe in the DR its unrestricted.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 26-10-2015, 08:31   #4

Boat: Morgan 461

Thanks. Good to know about the pharmacy. I am trying to get a one year vacation override and just take a years worth with us as we did for the Med last year, but now on Medicare and supplemental and don't think that can be done for me. My wife will be able to get the vacation override but I expect I will just have to pay retail and refill as needed.

Thanks again
Old 27-10-2015, 09:17   #5

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Our Express Scripts allows one "vacation fill" per year for an additional 90 days.
Old 27-10-2015, 14:06   #6

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Just try to work with your pharmacist. We're going to take 7 months worth with us and pay our copay for all 7 months up front. He will then bill Medicare each month as normal. He's only out if we die during that time and he can't bill medicare anymore (LOL).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, rib