Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-12-2010, 08:23   #1

Power Route Miami to Trinidad

Hello all,
i am new to this site and would like to post a quick question to you experts.
a recently purchased 54 Bertram in Miami is to be taken to Trinidad in early Feb. after some minor refits here.
My question is the appropriate route to the southern Caribbean, bearing in mind the need for descent diesel along the way?
Appoximate range with adequate reseves would be 200 Miles @ 20 Kts weather permiting.
any help would be greatly appreciated, or at least a point in the right direction as far as publications etc.
Thank you guys and merry christmas to all.

temps91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 08:48   #2

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,signet20,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
probably do what we do around the greek islands,wait for a weather window go like hell,then island hop,at least till you get to the windwards.
also have used plastic drums and a pump to extend the range.

latest project
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:32   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
200 mile range might be a little shy on a couple of the legs. Got a lot of beating to do. Beg, borrow, a fuel bladder. Or some jerry cans.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:48   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
A friend asked me to help him on a delivery from Ft Lauderdale to Nevis. The boat's a Viking 48' with twin 670 hp diesels. He wanted to spend the nights in marinas, so that was a consideration in selecting the route and stopovers.

I've attached the preliminary plan I came up with (Excel spreadsheet). It might give you somewhere to start your planning. My friend's since been looking into shipping the boat on a freighter, so we may or may not end up actually doing the trip.

The trip from Nevis to Trinidad would be easy daylight hopping from island to island. You can find diesel on most of them. The cruising guides by Pavlidis and Doyle are a big help on this route.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Passage Planning.xls (23.0 KB, 199 views)
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: