Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 15:18   #31

I can't believe there's a guy asking for advice on how to cross the Atlantic from NY to Spain in July and some people are telling him to go to the Caribbean , or to go down and wait in Bermuda till November . Have you sailed much in the Eastern North Atlantic in November? Does that really seem like the best to way to get to Spain?
How many times have you guys actually done what you are suggesting this guy should do? "Some island in the Northern Bahamas?" , PyotrBee? Are you serious? And what does the weather observed today have to do with this guy's choice?
Please guys , check your charts , your pilot charts and your guide books , since apparently there's not much personal experience to go by , and then offer advice.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:27   #32

Boat: Catalina 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ventura View Post
And what does the weather observed today have to do with this guy's choice?
Please guys , check your charts , your pilot charts and your guide books , since apparently there's not much personal experience to go by.
J Ventura,
I probably shouldn't have mentioned today's weather......but, I was just trying to make the point that "tropical weather" (Hurricanes) when crossing the North Atlantic, eastbound, (above 30* North) in July isn't the primary weather worry....
So, my apologies for adding too much info....

And, I couldn't agree more with you about some of the "advice" given....

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 17:13   #33

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Quote:
Does that really seem like the best to way to get to Spain?
How many times have you guys actually done what you are suggesting this guy should do? "Some island in the Northern Bahamas?" , PyotrBee? Are you serious? And what does the weather observed today have to do with this guy's choice?
He's in a fix - he has a few days to leave the US and it sounds like he may not be welcome in Canada... often there are not a lot of good choices and IMO any option other than crossing the Atlantic at this time is worth considering....

Eliminate Canada and USA, and he doesn't have a lot of choices... Remember not every one has passports of convenience where you can just show up...

He's also mentioned that Spain is just an option, and he doesn't really care if he gets there or not and is willing to stay just about anywhere for a long period of time.
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:16   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Kwick, I hope you are a lucky sort of fellow because you may need that.

The US probably won't notice that you are here illegally if you overstay the week but that's the least of your problems. If you boat a boat in NY which only had a NY state registration, you may not be welcomed in foreign ports beyond Canada or the Bahamas, if that far.

Where you can take the boat and how you can clear in, may also depend on how the boat is flagged/titled/documented/registered, whatever you have. Which you haven't mentioned so far. And with no legitimate residence beyond the boat, even a NYS boat registration might be invalid.

Taking the boat trans-atlantic with only a few days to prep it, may be suicide if the boat isn't already prepared or the weather goes bad. But there is a well documented "northern route" northeast past Newfoundland, staying south of the polar ice (yes, remember the Titanic) which is mapped and tracked, and continuing to make land in England or Ireland and then proceeding south. If there are no hurricanes heading north that route should be good now.

But then you still have the problem of making entry at the other end, with less than one week's notice you may not be able to gain an entry visa for anyplace, unless you have "no visa" status. And, there's still the matter of documentation for your boat.

The only way to avoid a very bad ending may be to have your boat hauled and stored while you fly out back "home" and arrange the paperwork for longer plans. These days, if you can't get your paperwork in order, folks are likely to confiscate the boat and send you back to the country on your passport without listening to any excuses. That could be a very bad ending in many ways.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:23   #35

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
I agree, but he says he lives on his boat and may not have any place to go...

I do NOT recommend overstaying in the US in the current climate (past decade). I have friends who have done that and the consequences often are quite severe....
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:23   #36

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Quote:
I can't believe there's a guy asking for advice on how to cross the Atlantic from NY to Spain in July and some people are telling him to go to the Caribbean , or to go down and wait in Bermuda till November . Have you sailed much in the Eastern North Atlantic in November? Does that really seem like the best to way to get to Spain?
Please guys , check your charts , your pilot charts and your guide books , since apparently there's not much personal experience to go by , and then offer advice.
He mention that he originally wanted to go to St Martin, going to
Bermuda, then south to the caribbean would be a good option.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:46   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I agree, but he says he lives on his boat and may not have any place to go..."
Pyotr, there's always someplace to go. He has at least three places to go:
1-Jail(s) or detention facilities for immigration and visa violations
2-"Home" as defined by his passport and citizenship, even if that means a hostel or the streets
3-Stay in new York indefinitely, illegally and gamble on penalties when he shows up somewhere, sometime, else with no clearance papers or visa.

The options may not be pleasant or economical--but he does indeed have places he can go. He could even go to Canada and ask for refugee status, if the circumstances applied.

But from what he has posted, all that we know is that he's going to end up being an "illegal" very shortly if he doesn't do SOMEthing. And if he is detained, anywhere, for any length of time, that means the boat is very much at risk of loss. Even if no fines or penalties are levied on him, confiscated boats generally have a short hard life.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Many foreign nationals come into the USA with the intent on purchasing boats and then consume all their visa time looking for the best boat per buck. All too often they don't find it until they are up against the wall on the Visa.
- -
Assuming that he entered the USA legally without difficulty on a visitor's/tourist visa - flying over to the Bahamas is his best bet. The Bahamas welcomes most all foreign nationals and it is the closest place to re-apply for another visa back into the USA. Having been approved once, getting a new visa "should" not be that difficult.
- - Anybody from aboard bringing money into the country to spend here these days is very, very welcome.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quite, and as Hellosailor points out the HR 31 is hardly going to be prepared, he has only owned it since May, so perhaps 6 or 7 weeks. HRs are not cheap boats, so I don't think money is the problem, but time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
I'm ready to sail
Sorry Kwick , but apparently people don't believe you
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Spain isn't really a good choice btw. On arrival in Europe VAT will be due because reardless of the boat history it was bought outside Europe, so due again at 17 - 20%, plus import duty (UK is about 2.5%). If Kwick is Spanish and Spain the final destination then a further 12% local registration tax could be due.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03   #42

I think the bottom line here is that he waited WAAAAAAAY too long before starting to think about what to do. This is a good lesson for all of us who travel to other countries on a visa. It is a HUGE mistake to wait until only a week or two before your visa expires before you start making plans for your next move!
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25   #43
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Spain isn't really a good choice btw. On arrival in Europe VAT will be due because reardless of the boat history it was bought outside Europe, so due again at 17 - 20%, plus import duty (UK is about 2.5%). If Kwick is Spanish and Spain the final destination then a further 12% local registration tax could be due.

Pete
not if the boat was documented in the USA and owned by a corp. thenn all he would need do is buy the Corp and no vat or tax would be due
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28   #44

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31
Okkey folks i am ready to go, i decided going to Bahamas.
Stamp the passport there and back to Maiami.
Thanks a lot eveybody....
KWICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30   #45
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
good decision, good luck.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, Spain