Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 07:54   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Piracy in Caribbean

This thread is getting a little off track here, I would love to continue a thoughful discusion about this but it has already been done on other threads.

The last thing I would like to say about this, is, if you don't have the skills to use a gun, then you should not own one. I believe you are better off with no gun then to own one and not know how to use it.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 08:13   #32

Boat: Catalina 390

Again, I appreciate the discussion. Understanding the threat and how people are mitigating it is helpful. I have a wife who is very fearful of being boarded while underway. I believe understanding the realistic threat is important in determining ways to counter it. Thank you again!
dshawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 08:19   #33

There was a thread started a while back that dissussed what people have done or would do if they were faced with an illigal boarding. It might be helpful to read that thread, I followed it for some time and it changed my thinking about the "What if situation"
Old 20-09-2012, 09:11   #34

Boat: Union Polaris 36

so anyways my point about tazers was they are not considered firearms by most countries so anyone can go in a buy one or have one on the boat without declaring it. A friend said a shot gun with bean bags would be good, but you still face the fact that it is a gun. Bullets are stupid, because you can do more damage to your boat than if the thief took everything.

The best defence for your boat in the Caribbean is a dog, the locals are incredibly fearful of them, they deter thieves by barking at the passing boats all day, if someone steps on your boat they immediately hear barking and you wake up, and the dog is likely to attack an intruder before you do without hesitation or fear. Plus they are good companions and will keep you from getting mugged in tourist spots in town.

As a backup keep a couple tazers where you sleep. The locals for the most part don't know what a tazer is (especially in remote areas), they know what a gun is and that if you get shot you can still live. But having their buddy being electrocuted 20 ft away from the guy on the boat is some serious voodoo that would freak them out. You just need to make them convinced that you are not the easiest boat to steal from (the dog) and then protect yourself if someone is stupid enough to board the one boat in the anchorage with a dog.

By the way many of the attackers are under age (so they cannot go to jail under the local rules) so you'd be a foreigner with an illegal gun killing a local kid. You will not get out of jail very easily.

Ex: the attack in bocas, both were caught. And it sounds like one went to jail and the other is under age and was back attending school.

we met another couple here in the marina who were boarded in honduras this year, the boarders knocked on the door saying they were the police and they were met with the but of a shotgun to the face when they opened up the hatch. They just stole all the non boat electronics and money.

Through friends we heard of the other guy who was boarded off the mosquito coast, he went a route that everyone says not to go, he hit a reef and radioed for help, instead of help, his boat was stollen and he had to swim to shore and walk to a native village. So so your due diligence and respect the opinion of those who have cruised the areas before you.

Another good thing to have are hatch grates (bars), so you can leave the hatches open without people getting into the cabin. This is the reason most people get boarded and hurt is because the assailants actually get into the cabin. Otherwise you are just short a couple jerry cans in the morning.

another 2 cents

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 09:28   #35

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

FOX news is usually the best source for non existant hysterical events !!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 09:54   #36

Youmeandthed, I like your thinking about a dog. The only problem with a dog is it needs to be cared for and taken to do its duty, plus it needs to be excercised but they do make great companions. Most of my dogs would likely lick the person to death befor barking.

On other threads, people that have had the experience of being boarded or attempts to be boarded have given there experiences and some of the stratages that the so called pirates used. One guy gave an account where a dinghy with 2 persons approched the boat claiming to be lost. The captain told them so go away, but they continued. A couple of gun shots accross the dinghys bow was all it took to discourage the would be attackers. With that said, I also suspect that if the captain had a big dog barking at the attackers, they may have never tried to attack in the first place.
Old 20-09-2012, 09:59   #37

worldwide piracy report map and actual description on another page of this site. Live Piracy Map

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
worldwide piracy report map and actual description on another page of this site. Live Piracy Map
Thanks for that link, after looking at it, it appears this is a listing of attempts made on big container ships, or other big ships. I could not find anything on small privite boats.
Old 20-09-2012, 10:26   #39

yeah... "where there's smoke there's fire" gives you a good idea of the density of reports by area....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:31   #40

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Yeah, our dog Dexter weighs 40lbs. He is an English Staffie (mini pitbull breed). Most locals who we see scoping out anchorages have kept a safe distance from our boat. Sure we need to fling some **** off the deck twice a day, but he's a deterrent, an early alert system, an alarm, and a defender. Plus hours of entertainment. Plus sailing is like an endless car ride/ walk for him. He gets so tired he sleeps most of the time.

A good F$#k off! usually does the trick too, but I'm 27, 6'2" and the locals are all under 5'5". Really when they approach your boat, unless they are trying to sell you something there is no reason to be civil. Oh and if it doesn't seem right it probably isn't. Locals will never ask a gringo for directions.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 18:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
At least with a tazer you won't hesitate to shoot anyone, even if it happens to be a kid or drunk cruiser who got on the wrong boat in the dark.
Please be prudent with the use of tazers. Although they are advertized as safe & non-lethal, many people have died as a result of being shot with them. The people who own the company that makes them are well connected. I believe that may be why they don't receive a lot of bad press over this.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, piracy