Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 19:24   #46

Re: Pigs in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

As to the sheltered life: made me smile. We discussed this topic for a bit on our rainy jetty here today; agreeing a lot of Americans seem to go by "Trust nobody, fear everything"

That is ridiculous, rhetoric is for politicians.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 19:25   #47

Boat: Ohlson 29

Actually, it was a joke - hence the smileys and me calling it a joke.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 20:31   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I would think killing and roasting a pig from an uninhabited island wouldn't be a problem... Am I wrong?

Gil.
Gil, would you consider it acceptable to steal livestock from open range?
That used to be a hanging offense in the US.......and is essentially what you are proposing - sailing in and stealing livestock.

If you replace "pig" with "cattle", would you view it differently?

Differing cultures have differing methods of raising/tending their animals.
Some cultures keep their livestock in pens, some herd them over commonly shared grazing areas, some leave them on open range.

As Stu has pointed out, just because an area is uninhabited (open range) does not mean that it is unowned.

When one sails in and drops anchor, one is visiting the area as a guest.
The local community will likely not take kindly to interlopers plundering their resources, especially ones that arrive on expensive (comparatively) boats.
MermaidMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 20:31   #49

So it wasn't a topic of discussion on the jetty today?

Don't worry, America still has a strong warrior class. We will send them to liberate Europe and the Scandinavian countries.

Just kidding. :-)

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 21:16   #50

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
So it wasn't a topic of discussion on the jetty today?
Do I really need to explain it further? Nah, I do not Let's just agree on my underestimating how posting something said in good fun can offend people. I'll never do it again on this forum
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 21:52   #51

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm sorry that that the thought of getting a tapeworm or other parasite from sidling up alongside of wild pig whom may be covered in is own feces seems to be a bit disgusting and potentially problematic. From what I have heard it seems to be true, regardless of the snide remarks from some on this thread.

1st world problem for some I suppose but I would rather not be pulling a 10 foot parasite out of my leg. I did not grow up near any farms nor know anything about wild pigs. It seems to be an unhealthy practice to me.

We had two wild cats in the islands. Our vet friends said to be very careful about how you handled them because they probably had toxioplasmosis and worms, which can be ingested and cause all sorts of problems. I assumed pigs were the same.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 22:17   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
1st world problem for some I suppose but I would rather not be pulling a 10 foot parasite out of my leg. .
That's not what you pull a tapeworm out of.

(Yes, I ended my sentence with a preposition. Get over it, it's an obsolete rule!)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 22:29   #53

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'm sorry that that the thought of getting a tapeworm or other parasite from sidling up alongside of wild pig whom may be covered in is own feces seems to be a bit disgusting and potentially problematic. From what I have heard it seems to be true, regardless of the snide remarks from some on this thread.

1st world problem for some I suppose but I would rather not be pulling a 10 foot parasite out of my leg. I did not grow up near any farms nor know anything about wild pigs. It seems to be an unhealthy practice to me.

We had two wild cats in the islands. Our vet friends said to be very careful about how you handled them because they probably had toxioplasmosis and worms, which can be ingested and cause all sorts of problems. I assumed pigs were the same.
Pigs are not dirty animals. The only way a pig would be covered in poop would be if its locked up in a small pen. When even humans would end up being covered in their own excrement. Pigs do get worms and other parasites, as do many animals that scavangers and toil. But they are not by nature dirty animals.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:05   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I would think killing and roasting a pig from an uninhabited island wouldn't be a problem... Am I wrong?
Gil.
Yes sir.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 05:37   #55
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, best to get developing country diseases treated in developing countries where the docs are familiar with them. A young niece of mine was nearly killed by USA Docs trying to treat a simple Bot Fly parasite.

So, if you do get something from kissing the pigs...get it treated locally!
I didn't have the option. I was on a two month job in Brazil, and about a month or so later diving on another job in Puerto Rico when I started noticing signs of this tapeworm. Basically, and somewhat crudely, I started finding bits of what looked like weird flat pasta in my own excrement. Tapeworm segments, but I didn't know what it was at the time. I was gone another month or so before returning to where I lived at the time in northern Massachusetts. I went to Lowell General hospital, talked to a doc. He requested a sample, and after identifying the parasite he came back with a big medical book and showed me the section he'd just read on how to treat this. I asked if he'd ever treated one before. Nope. I asked if it was going to kill me any time soon, as I was about to move to southern California. Well, the move got delayed by about four months.

The treatment was fasting for an overnight and then an anti-nausea injection before they ran a greased tube down my nose into my stomach. They used a large syringe to remove the contents of my stomach, which were just liquids after a day of fasting. They then attached another syringe full of some nasty stuff and pumped it down the tube into my stomach. It was explained that the stomach lining could handle this stuff, but my esophagus would be damaged by it, hence the tube. Once the worming stuff was in, they gave me the choice of having the tube removed while I waited for several hours or just leaving the tube in place for the duration of the treatment. I elected to leave it in place rather than go though the whole anti-nausea shot and tube retrieval and then a replacement experience again. So they taped the tube to my cheekbone and we waited for several hours. I watched Days of Our Lives on the nurse station television. I found out that Eugene was cheating on someone. Or maybe it was Stefano, Gabriel and Marlena. I forget.

They then sucked the liquid back out and removed the tube. They gave me a laxative and told me to not eat for a while. But liquids were okay. I chose Olympia beer, as I recall. I went home and within a few hours had expelled the now dead tape worm into the toilet. I used a coathanger to lift it out to measure it. I wanted to look at the hooked mouth I had read about, too. It was just under 9 ft. long.
I don't think I want another one. They're actually not all that cuddly when viewed up close.
Old 22-11-2015, 05:57   #56
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Jeez Canibul.
Thanks for the heads up, sounds like a rather non-pleasant experience. Ouch..
Old 22-11-2015, 05:58   #57

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

For me there is not much of a draw in visiting pigs, anywhere. I would much rather go snorkeling, then have a beer or two and maybe a cig, but that's just me,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 06:07   #58
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I have been up close to those pigs. Awful smell and big teeth. Don't have a clue who anybody would get close to or kiss them(
Last time we were there som woman got bitten trying to hand feed a pig.
No idea what some people are thinking or how deep the stupidity goes..
Old 22-11-2015, 06:25   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yes sir.
Uninhabited islands do not mean unowned. Lots of island families keep livestock on surrounding islands for obvious reasons. Kind of like a back 40 acres to a farm. Stealing their livestock really is bad and gives all sailors a bad name, if not a knife in the stomach.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 06:27   #60
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I haven't seen the swimming pigs yet. No doubt will stop in this spring as we go north if we find ourselves nearby. Wouldn't make a special trip for it. Both sets of grandparents raised cattle, chickens and pigs and horses in Texas, and I've hunted feral pigs with firearms and compound bows ( archery, not boats).

I've heard stories from cruisers coming south through here about the pigs damaging RIBs by trying to climb aboard them after food.

Tags
Bahamas