Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 07:51   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Pigs in the Bahamas

Some of the pigs in the Abacos are not as wild as they may appear. I've seen people come take care of them, feed them, give them water, etc. Having "wild pigs" is a selling point to bring tourists to a deserted island. I imagine every once in a while there's a pig roast.

I've read the ones north of Staniel (Major's spot?) have been swapped out.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:02   #17

And here ai thought I was clicking on a LEO bashing thread.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:14   #18

Silly question. First, yes you can get diseases from playing around with pigs. Second, cooked long enough and you will kill all bacteria, most viruses, and leave behind a lot of prions, not to mention any chemical poisons that may exist in the meats. Third, as others have pointed out, most islands' trees and animals are owned by someone. Rich white guys stealing poor third world folks' food really is not cool and screws things up for other white folks coming afterwards.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 10:50   #19

Boat: Gemini Legacy 35
Send a message via Skype™ to rbbaker

Well, there could be some zoonotic agents carried by the pigs that in rare circumstances transfer to humans. Most are gut bacteria - E.coli, Salmonella which are fecal/oral transmission. If the pigs poop in the water it is possible. Wild pigs often carry lice, mange mites, and various internal parasites. Rarely pigs transmit influenza to humans but usually it is in the other direction. There are some other diseases such as Erysipelas which can be a skin to skin route if your skin is broken. All in all, the pigs are little risk but it is highly likely they are never vaccinated for anything and highly likely they carry parasites although normal sanitation - washing hands etc. after contact is advisable and generally effective. Kissing a pig pretty dumb in my book but I suppose you could say the same about kissing your favorite bar tender.
rbbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:15   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Before kissing the pig, just make sure one of you is wearing some lipstick....you know the old saying.

I would assume that those wild pigs are so important to the tourist industry that they are protected from hunting. A pig roast on the beach may not go over well with the tourist boats and locals dependent on tourists getting some playtime with porky.
Before kissing a pig have enough booze and don't wake up with her.

It sounds like a good question on the serious side. Get a parasite of get an OD of antibiotics state side.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:39   #21

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

MMMMM Bacon! Lived on a ranch in Nebraska, pigs ran wild (not penned), they were cleaner then the dogs!
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:41   #22

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidSheeleen View Post
MMMMM Bacon! Lived on a ranch in Nebraska, pigs ran wild (not penned), they were cleaner then the dogs!
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:57   #23
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

As for any comparison between wild pigs in the Bahamas and Obamacare...well...

How bout a difference? The pigs will still be around in five years.
Old 21-11-2015, 13:01   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Quite right.
The pigs were placed on, and are OWNED by, Big Major’s Spot many years ago by Staniel Cay residents.
That's the reason for my question. If they are pigs that will be eaten by the residents do they get medical care like pigs do at farms? I don't eat pork or red meat, only fowl and fish.

Can you get parasitic worms from being in close contact with infected animals - like tapeworms and such? Can you inadvertently transmit pig infections/worms to your dog or cat?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:08   #25
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

tapeworms are passed from animal to animal via feces, as I understand it. Humans can get them from eating infected pork. I came back from Brazil in the 70's with a tapeworm. I had it for about eight months until finally getting rid of it in San Diego. The doctors in Lowell Massachusetts didn't have a clue how to treat it, but the clinic in San Diego knew just what to do. The cure was worse than the tapeworm, too.

I kind of missed the little booger. Nice pet. Quiet. Goes where you go, eats what you eat. Helped me trim down a little, too.
Old 21-11-2015, 13:14   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
tapeworms are passed from animal to animal via feces, as I understand it. Humans can get them from eating infected pork. I came back from Brazil in the 70's with a tapeworm. I had it for about eight months until finally getting rid of it in San Diego. The doctors in Lowell Massachusetts didn't have a clue how to treat it, but the clinic in San Diego knew just what to do. The cure was worse than the tapeworm, too.

I kind of missed the little booger. Nice pet. Quiet. Goes where you go, eats what you eat. Helped me trim down a little, too.
Since you put it that way, Dr. Oz will be marketing them for dieting on TV.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:16   #27

Boat: PT-11

Of course they are given food and water. How else could they survive on a little barren island? But I doubt any vets see them. We brought 10 gallons of water to the ones on No Name Cay and they were dying for it. But put 2 and 2 together. A local told me a year before we were there that there were 10 pigs on the island. When we visited there were two. On the next island over, Nippers has a pig roast every Sunday.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:27   #28

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Can you get parasitic worms from being in close contact with infected animals - like tapeworms and such? Can you inadvertently transmit pig infections/worms to your dog or cat?
Yes. It's a big risk, sailing around the world and leaving the safety of your disinfected boat

Seriously though - relax and don't worry about every possible way something may just happen to you. If you're healthy, a worm won't kill you or your pet(s).

There are wild/stray cats and dogs everywhere, they too could possibly spread fleas, worms and other cute lil beings, viruses etc.. If you worry about all of that, you'd better keep your pet(s) on the boat at all times, and only leave yourself if absolutely necessary -- and watch where you step and who and what you touch carefully!
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:28   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That's the reason for my question. If they are pigs that will be eaten by the residents do they get medical care like pigs do at farms? I don't eat pork or red meat, only fowl and fish.

You should see what the pigs which wander around villages in PNG and other parts of the Pacific eat and those places never see a vet either!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:30   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

The doctors in Lowell didn't know about the boiled egg and the cookie treatment? I thought everyone knew that one.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas