Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 12:25   #1

Passage Timing USVI - Abacos: not too slow, not too fast?

Greetings - We are moving our FP Lucia 40 from St Thomas to Marsh Harbour in April / May. Approx travel dates are March 30 - May 7. We'd love to have friends join us along the way, and god knows there are plenty of airports, but I'm looking for your advice about how long to plan on lingering in different spots along the way so that they can arrange to meet us.

USVI to Fajardo to Provo (~8-9 days, arriving ~Apr 7). We're not really port people, unless we need repairs and reprovisioning, so allow a couple days there. Linger in the TIC, or keep moving? [I hear it got hit pretty hard in 2017.] Then north past Crooked Island, Long Island, George Town, up the Exumas, Eleuthera and to Marsh Harbour. All of those have decent airports, which is why I mention them. I would prefer to avoid Nassau.

This is a tricky question, I know, as many of you have taken YEARS to enjoy portions of that stretch, and many have ferried boats straight on through. But if we want to snorkel and have leisurely days of sailing, always on a hook /mooring at night from Provo north, but really keep forward motion on our journey north - do any of you have guesstimates?

From what I read, Long Island is perhaps more beloved than the Exumas by many here? And Eleuthera as well. Nassau I hope to avoid.

I have the Explorer Chartbook Far Bahamas (but know I need to get the Exumas and Near Bahamas next), Waterway Guide 2019, and Cruising Guide to Abaco 2019.

Many thanks in advance. Sometimes books just don't convey the distances and opportunities very well.
dgoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 10:51   #2

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Re: Passage Timing USVI - Abacos: not too slow, not too fast?

You are so close to the BVI's back track a vary small amount and spend at least two weeks there. Only draw back are the thousands of charter boats there. They pack gobs of people on those cats and party hard late into the night making lots of noise for all to hear.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 11:21   #3

Boat: Vagabond 42

One of the prettiest places I have ever seen is the bight at Acklin Island (between Crooked and Acklin). An overnight sail from Provo. Flamingos, a whale shark, bone fish everywhere... stunningly beautiful. Not a good anchorage but if the weather cooperates, stay there at least a couple of days. LOOOONG ISLAND (up to it's name) goes on forever but at the west end, Stella Maris is a nice anchorage before getting to Georgetown.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:37   #4
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Avoid the charter boat spots, as was said earlier they pack the boats with people who are there to party. That means lots of drunks, loud music day and night, people doing disgusting things overboard (nasty) .
The Exuma's are generally much nicer, you can usually find a quiet place to drop the hook.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, passage