Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 11:59   #16

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by urisvan View Post
thank you guys,
i cant go PR because i havent sort out my US visa and i can not do it here, so if i leave leeward islands i will go DR.

So at the end, i guess we can say that there is no strait course from DR to Bermuda, Or there is?
There are plenty of jumping-off points other than DR that don't require a US Visa. I would chose St. Martin, but BVI is also a reasonable choice. I see no reason to head 400+nm downwind to DR only to have to make it back upwind later. You only save about 100nm on the trip to Bermuda (compared to Antigua, less to BVI or St Martin) -- and the savings is even less if headwinds force you off your course.

As far as a straight course, you might skip Bermuda altogether. Depending on how far north you continue to face easterlies (you'd be all the way up to 30deg, if you were out there now), it could be a big time/distance saving or be very little at all.

As far as the weather goes, I believe you should be prepared for it. According to the pilot charts for your Bermuda->Azores, you should be prepared to see 12ft+ seas about 5-10% of the time in early May. The first leg, although earlier, is even lower probability. I try to avoid encountering heavy weather, but it occasionally finds me anyway. BTW, I don't consider 12' to be very large, but 20' is also over 12'.

If you are planning a transatlantic sail, you should be prepared for gale and even storm force conditions. Try to avoid it, but be prepared for it. Don't be scared of the weather, but do respect it.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:02   #17

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

It's possible (just don't go over the bank at T&C) otherwise I would go straight from St. Maarten/Sint. Martin to Bermuda.
Why do the trip all the way to DR (not to mention that DR is a crappy place no matter how you flip it)?
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 10:07   #18

i want to go DR for personal reasons. i want to be in Spanish speaking country, it is cheap there and i am little bit broke and it is somewhere out of developed world, i dont know but i have a feeling that it has a charm.

i definitely know that it is not the best jump off place to Bermuda or crossing the Atlantic. Leeward islands or BVI are much better. that is why i am suspicious to go there. i want to go DR but if it is going to be so difficult to sail Bermuda or beginning of crossing then i dont go there. i want to avoid heavy weather and difficult sailing as much as i can.

Regards
Ulas
urisvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:18   #19

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

Quote:
Originally Posted by urisvan View Post
i want to go DR for personal reasons. i want to be in Spanish speaking country, it is cheap there and i am little bit broke and it is somewhere out of developed world, i dont know but i have a feeling that it has a charm.

i definitely know that it is not the best jump off place to Bermuda or crossing the Atlantic. Leeward islands or BVI are much better. that is why i am suspicious to go there. i want to go DR but if it is going to be so difficult to sail Bermuda or beginning of crossing then i dont go there. i want to avoid heavy weather and difficult sailing as much as i can.

Regards
Ulas

If you want cheap, I would stay anchored at Marigot Bay (French side of St. Martin). Food is well priced and anchoring is free.
DR is not as cheap as you may think. We stayed there over Christmas last year and prices were very similar to PR.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, Dominica, Dominican Republic, passage