Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-06-2011, 20:05   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Re: Panama to the BVI's

Rimaya,

Two years ago I was in a similar situation but starting from Rio Dulce, Guatemala. I posted to this forum at: Belize to BVIs - Which Route? and received much the same very sound advice. I took the conservative route via Cancun (had some heavy weather on that stretch), Key West, Key Largo, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, then BVI. By the time we reached our destination I never wanted to sail upwind again!!

The advice you are getting here is spot on.

Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 20:13   #32

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

This is a cool thread!

Old 07-06-2011, 20:20   #33

john,
thanks for the link and support. excellent information and very useful. as we get closer to departure date from shelter island marina i am going to be curious to see how we are going to resolve this little problem (but with a little help from our friends we should do just fine). the main thing is we have plenty of time, but i also don't want to get caught in the reinforced trades (above 15N come december.
rick
s/v maya
Old 07-06-2011, 21:12   #34
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Rick,

Are you in the marina already? We're on the hard right now, right next to the haul-out slip. Come by for a talk :-)

We plan to sail to Curacao again this summer.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:05   #35

Re: Panama to the BVIs

nick,
the boat is on the hard at the far end of the yard under a full boat cover. i am back in the san francisco bay area working to build up the cruising kitty. here's a report that a fellow i know just made in a nordhaven 62. this is a post from his blog. and by the way we will stay in touch.

May 8-12: Sunday we decided to leave the San Blas Islands. We pulled the pick at 1330 and headed out into 10 foot ground waves, which lasted about ten miles or an hour and a half. That was miserable. We were advised (by their weather router) that we would have a difficult run up to the 15 degree longitude. That was about 240 miles from the San Blas. Once past the ten footers, the waves subsided to 6-8 footers, then gradually over the next day down to 4-6, and after 15 degrees things became acceptable. Life on a boat in rough seas is a test of patience and endurance. Sleeping can be a real problem as many people cannot sleep while being bounced around. Food preparation is also a challenge. All of us were a little sea sick as we started off, but after medication we were all tolerating the conditions.
After 3 days we saw the coast of Jamaica on Wednesday morning. As we made the south western point, the winds began to blow. Soon we were in 30 MPH winds, the waves built to 6-8 footers again, and the anchor pulpit was buried in the waves as we rolled and heaved into the oncoming brine. It was miserable and we couldn’t wait to reach Montego Bay. We were patient, but tired. At 1800 we dropped anchor in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Not a minute too soon!

this from a guy in a powerful boat going at a time if year that i won't. but still from all indications even leaving in november when it should be somewhat benine it's still going to be tough. i wouldn't do a trip like that during summer because of the danger of hurricanes. but definitely i'm beginning to get an understanding of the route, north and east to the usvi's.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38   #36
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rick,

With a trawler you can point any compass course desired so yes, a weather router makes sense for your friend. But for you under sail, you don't have that luxury and will have to beat. On the other hand, the motion will be much easier on you because of the stabilization of being under sail.

We just had days and days of SW winds... would have been down hill to the east :P

ciao!
Nick.
Old 08-06-2011, 23:22   #37

Also looking to go. Galveston ...BVI in late July . anyone help?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29   #38
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer69 View Post
Also looking to go. Galveston ...BVI in late July . anyone help?
That's easier: key west -> bimini -> exuma's -> turks & caicos -> DR -> PR -> VI

I did Naples FL to VI in 2003 which is about the same; it's tiring to go uphill all the time but conditions are not as bad as in the Columbian low.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33   #39

could you explain what you mean by the "columbian low." i've never heard of it and i can't seem to find any information about it. and how it will affect passaging in the caribbean sea.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19   #40

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaya View Post
could you explain what you mean by the "columbian low." i've never heard of it and i can't seem to find any information about it. and how it will affect passaging in the caribbean sea.
I thought I expained it in a previous post. It's the opposite of the Azores high. Mother Nature is continuaily trying to equalize the preasure between the high and the low. This transfer of pressure is called wind.
Where the high pressure is located in the Alantic Ocean will determine which direction this transfer of presuire takes place and is called the trade winds.

You may have to trust us on this because there are still tidbits of information that are not easily found on the internet.

The correct spelling for this country is ColOmbia.
regards
Old 09-06-2011, 17:26   #41
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaya View Post
Here is trouble brewing around the Colombia low during November 2010 :

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Caribbean Bears Watching for Tropical Development

ciao!
Nick.
Old 09-06-2011, 18:05   #42

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Here's a detailed report of what causes the weather in Colombia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Colombia
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06   #43

thanks guys, that really helps a lot. i forgot about accuweather. its a great site with lots of real time info.
Old 10-06-2011, 16:02   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you know how to read pressure pattern and precipitation models try:
Maps : Weather Underground

Click on "animate" just above the black map to load and play the forecast model for 17 days.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:03   #45

Boat: skookum 53, CUTTER

my boat is presently in bocas del toro, we need to be in the bvi end of november, for me the best way to do that is to wait for a hurricane ine the northern caribean and then go full speed to curacao, the hurricane will pump all the wind in the carribean sea and will give you a nice window.
Anyway, it s still not the best trip ever.

regards and good luck at all the boat in our situation,

Laurent

Tags
Panama, panama

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: