Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 07:16   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Panama City, Panama
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 501
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Subtracting what a Panama agent says he is charging from what you paid him to get the Canal fee might not be too accurate. The ACP publishes their tolls online.
Handline vessels to 50ft are usd$800
50ft to 80 $1300
The canal doesn't charge any extra fees.

Line and tire rental from taxi driver is another $100.

I've done 6 transits, in both directions, and never had any trouble getting cruisers and friends to line handle. I have also seen some wildly incompetent hired local linehandlers.

Receipt from agent in hand:
Canal fee +7% tax $1053
Inspection (admeasurer) $55
Agent fee (includes lines and fenders) $350
Line handlers $300
Total $1758 (I transposed two numbers earlier)


At Shelter Bay, some boats had success finding cruisers to handle lines, some did not. In addition, some line handlers have notices on the bulletin board at $100/day. Most of the boats at the time we went through used an agent. Our line handlers were excellent.


Cheers,
__________________

__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 13:35   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 6,389
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Receipt from agent in hand:
Canal fee +7% tax $1053
Inspection (admeasurer) $55
Agent fee (includes lines and fenders) $350
Line handlers $300
Total $1758 (I transposed two numbers earlier)


At Shelter Bay, some boats had success finding cruisers to handle lines, some did not. In addition, some line handlers have notices on the bulletin board at $100/day. Most of the boats at the time we went through used an agent. Our line handlers were excellent.


Cheers,
I understand you have a receipt from the agent. If your boat is under 50ft the transit fee is $800, so your agent over charged you. Last passage I did the Admeasurer was no fee.
__________________

Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 15:52   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 10,011
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Receipt from agent in hand:
Canal fee +7% tax $1053
Inspection (admeasurer) $55
Agent fee (includes lines and fenders) $350
Line handlers $300
Total $1758 (I transposed two numbers earlier)


At Shelter Bay, some boats had success finding cruisers to handle lines, some did not. In addition, some line handlers have notices on the bulletin board at $100/day. Most of the boats at the time we went through used an agent. Our line handlers were excellent.


Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I understand you have a receipt from the agent. If your boat is under 50ft the transit fee is $800, so your agent over charged you. Last passage I did the Admeasurer was no fee.
Just confirmed on ACP site, toll for vessels <= 50' is $800.

Full text re tolls:

https://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/tolls.html
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:44   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 10,011
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Just confirmed on ACP site, toll for vessels <= 50' is $800.

Full text re tolls:

https://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/tolls.html
Hmmm...something went wrong w that post...it should read:

...tolls for vessels 50' or less is $800.
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29   #35
Registered User
 
tilostahl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Chester, PA - boat lives in Santa Barbara, CA
Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37
Posts: 4
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Thanks guys! That pretty much answers that one. Are cats charged a surcharge for transiting vs monoís?

So the issue with Australian quarantine is one of cost and time. Minimum time for a dog in quarantine is 10 days and $1900 IF theyíve spent the last 6 months in a rabies-free country and had a variety of shots. Iíll have to check, but I believe if the animal hasnít met that 6 month rule, they either canít come in or have to significantly longer in q.

N
What makes you think the US is rabies free? It's NOT rabies free. I think you should check with AUS quarantine to see if there's any benefit in going through the US.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:34   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver B.C.Canada
Posts: 13
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Can't you just say you bought the dog in Fiji on the way home or something? Who's to know? Does the dog have a passport or something? Keep him away from other animals going through Panama and his chances of infection would be zero right?


Or fly the dog across America and pick him up on other side when your through. Cheaper than shipping your entire boat.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:42   #37
Registered User
 
ausnp84's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 327
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilostahl View Post
What makes you think the US is rabies free? It's NOT rabies free. I think you should check with AUS quarantine to see if there's any benefit in going through the US.
Do you not think Iíve already done my homework before reaching out to the forum??

Australian Quarantine classes the US as rabies-free (or close to that) so itís relatively easy to bring a dog from there.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45   #38
Registered User
 
ausnp84's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 327
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Can't you just say you bought the dog in Fiji on the way home or something? Who's to know? Does the dog have a passport or something? Keep him away from other animals going through Panama and his chances of infection would be zero right?


Or fly the dog across America and pick him up on other side when your through. Cheaper than shipping your entire boat.
Yep, thatís not a bad idea either. The current view of the Aussie Gov vet is that if I sail with him to Fiji, we both have to spend 6 weeks there before I can fly him back. Itís only a four hour flight from there as well which is MUCH better.

So far all the US airlines Iíve spoken to wonít fly him back to Aus as the flightís longer than 12 hours, so the options are:

1.) Fly him back from the UK then sail back over the course of 6 months.

2.) Sail back and stop for 6 weeks in Fiji, then fly him back from there and sail into QLD.

Still plenty of time to work on it but I think itíll be option 2 to be honest!

Nathan
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Cannot imagine the cost to haul a 23 ft wide cat across US. Probably more than value of boat.
We went thru canal in 2014. Total cost excluding time at Shelter Bay Marina about $1300usd. That included lines and tires and the advisor. We are a cat 42X23 feet.
__________________

le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Mexico, Panama

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skipping the Panama Canal and shipping boat overland donkey_jaw Off Topic Forum 18 29-11-2017 06:31
Med to SE Asia (overland across Saudi) Captain Ludd Indian Ocean & Red Sea 2 24-03-2014 12:17
NYC / Long Island Overland Transport Globalksp Atlantic & the Caribbean 8 27-06-2013 08:07
Crossed Atlantic, trucking overland - Need trailer! nickj Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 36 22-11-2008 19:23
??Overland from the Ohio R to L Erie?? gfenner Great Lakes 4 04-07-2008 07:22



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.