Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 18:13   #1

Boat: 53' steel ketch, modified Bruce Roberts yard-built
Panama Details

We are planning to arrive in Panama mid-June. Likely to arrive in Bocas del Toro which looks like a good place to check in. Details about various fees, visas, permits etc, seem a bit murky. Charges in Colon seem much higher than in Bocas del Toro. Can anyone clarify? We are a family with 3 kids (17, 14, 9). We plan to cruise in Panama till September and then haul out. Our boat is a 28 ton, 53' steel ketch. Any recommendations besides Shelter Bay for possible haul out for September thru April? Thanks.
BsgFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:59   #2

Re: panama details

While I can't be of any help with the questions you've posted, I can be of unsolicited help in referring you to a little locals restaurant on the southwest corner of Isla Bastimentos. I was there 3 years back looking into a hostel that was for sale and stumbled across Ketcha's. Ketcha is the older woman who runs the little place. Bring her what you catch or have Elvis (yea, Elvis) go out and catch you something in the morning. You won't be disappointed! It's directly across (waterside) from Ca' Venice Hostel Ristorante Italiano‎.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Globalksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 10:36   #3

We checked in at bocas del toro 2 weeks ago. I am told the cost is about $300 to check in (2 of us on board a 48 foot boat). We paid more than that because we checked in over the weekend, which involves overtime. Mary at Marina Carenero was a good resource for us for information before we arrived. She is the Seven Seas Land base and as such seems glad to inform, even if you are ancored out.

Check in was straightforward and was handled professionally and pleasantly. Bocas is a good place to check in.

Susan from Erie spirit
susan 238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54   #4

Panama, er Latina america, charges vary by person and place is my experience. I do recommend Bocas and its a great place. Anchor with your quarantine flag up outside the customs house which is on the SE 'corner' of the town -near the quay. Dario and his team will arrive. I dont remember paying as much as 300 for my 62ton but the year cruising permit is 193dollars. Then go to the govt offices -big old blg- in the town square - first floor-Virginia will process your passports and you may get anything from 6 moths to 9 months tourist visa. When you are done in bocas come out to san blas for as much seafood as you can eat.
CaptPhilMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:10   #5

Thanks for these inputs. We'll be in Haiti a couple of weeks and then will either head more or less directly to Bocas or travel via San Andres Y Providencia. Does anyone have any recommendations about either route? We'll be in Panama until September when we plan to haul out there. Probably will haul in Colon although are looking for any other option that can handle our 27T steel ketch on Caribbean side.
Old 02-06-2012, 16:54   #6

Re: Panama Details

Both islands are columbian of course - the recommendation appears to be providencia for cost but approach only in daylight. Haul out in colon and stay is likely to be very costly. i understand their attitude is 'screw the yachts'.

it sounds that Green turtle have just finished their ramp -call them and see costs etc
Tiffany +507 64069854
eric 66857777
Old 02-06-2012, 18:34   #7

Thanks for the referral. I checked the website but will call for further information.
Old 03-06-2012, 18:18   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPhilMorris View Post
...... Haul out in colon and stay is likely to be very costly. i understand their attitude is 'screw the yachts'.
Where'd you hear this? The haul out in Colon is at Shelter Bay and they cater to cruisers and yachties. I hauled there in Jan and had a good experience.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:43   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have hauled in Shelter Bay twice with very good experiences. I believe in the past, Shelter Bay was notoriously bad, but it has been sold since then. In fact, it was just recently sold again and is now owned by Lyman-Morse: Lyman Morse Boatbuilding - Panama Boat Building, Storage and Repair - Thomaston, Maine .

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have hauled in Shelter Bay twice with very good experiences. I believe in the past, Shelter Bay was notoriously bad, but it has been sold since then. In fact, it was just recently sold again and is now owned by Lyman-Morse: Lyman Morse Boatbuilding - Panama Boat Building, Storage and Repair - Thomaston, Maine .

Mark
Lyman Morse is just doing the marine service side, they don't run the marina or the haul put.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:14   #11

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

Bocas is rumored to open a travel lift in 3-4 months (7 miles from the marina). Lets hope they give Shelter Bay competition!! We are moored at Bocas now
Old 04-06-2012, 06:42   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Lyman Morse is just doing the marine service side, they don't run the marina or the haul put.
Yes, the marina was always run separate from the yard (and possibly by different owners), and LM has not bought the yard - only contracted to run the yard. However, LM's website certainly seems to imply that they will run the haul out and yard facilities (emphasis mine):

"Lyman-Morse Panama is strategically located near the Caribbean entrance of the Panama Canal and will provide yachtsmen and women a familiar and recognized source for pre-canal transit prep and logistics, a full-range of service work, haul-out and storage services between cruises.
Peach Frederick, long time service manager at Lyman-Morse Thomaston has re-located to Colon, Panama to run the yard. All aspects of boat repair for sail and power, including rigging, canvas, carpentry, mechanical, fiberglass and carbon fiber hull repairs, electrical and electronics, stainless steel and paint projects are offered. The yard is equipped with 100-ton travelift so refit work, as well as extended and short-term storage is available."

It will be interesting to see if they will still allow DIY work going forward. They are already clamping down on allowing external contractors to work there and all non-DIY work has to go through them now. The prices have increased some, but hopefully the quality of the work will be higher (and more timely).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33   #13

Correct. I did not mention shelter bay, and i used the word 'understand' (from those coming through in the past). So we now have a balanced opinion for our original enquirer. Shows how valuable net forums are.
Old 04-06-2012, 13:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the marina was always run separate from the yard (and possibly by different owners), and LM has not bought the yard - only contracted to run the yard. However, LM's website certainly seems to imply that they will run the haul out and yard facilities (emphasis mine):

"Lyman-Morse Panama is strategically located near the Caribbean entrance of the Panama Canal and will provide yachtsmen and women a familiar and recognized source for pre-canal transit prep and logistics, a full-range of service work, haul-out and storage services between cruises.
Peach Frederick, long time service manager at Lyman-Morse Thomaston has re-located to Colon, Panama to run the yard. All aspects of boat repair for sail and power, including rigging, canvas, carpentry, mechanical, fiberglass and carbon fiber hull repairs, electrical and electronics, stainless steel and paint projects are offered. The yard is equipped with 100-ton travelift so refit work, as well as extended and short-term storage is available."

It will be interesting to see if they will still allow DIY work going forward. They are already clamping down on allowing external contractors to work there and all non-DIY work has to go through them now. The prices have increased some, but hopefully the quality of the work will be higher (and more timely).

Mark
Mark
I talked with Peach a couple of times on this and he said they are not currenyly doing the haul out or yard storage. Just the service work. DIY was still OK.

Tags
Panama, panama