Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 04:51   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit
We are planning a trip up to Atlantic City from the Chesapeake. We have a sailboat which draws about 5.5 feet. And has about 60 feet of mast height.

Some family are planning a week in Ocean City. N.J. and we are wondering if we should go in there for a couple of days.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:20   #2

Re: Ocean Shores New Jersey?

Well, we went to Ocean Shores was GREAT, so I thought I'd update:

The channel is well marked but except for an outer permanent buoy, the bouys are moved every season so they are not on the chart. However it was easy to find and follow them (in the daylight).

They wind around some breakers in the center of the river mouth but the channel was deeper than 15 feet the whole way in.

The bridge is 65' and our 55' mast cleared with no problem in a +1.5 foot tide.

We tied up at the OCYC which gave us recip priviliges. It is VERY EXPOSED to the boat traffic and there is no power or water to speak of but the folks were very friendly and helpful. At night without boat traffic it was nice and calm.

The town is a dry town and very very child friendly. The boardwalk is great with the kids/grandkids. We even took the grandkids and some of their summer friends on a day sail inside the inner bay and it was narrow but enough room for us to tack back and forth without causing other boats any concern.

I will go in there again.
Old 13-10-2014, 11:22   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Good to know that you were able to get in with the 5.5 draft and were welcomed at the yacht club.

I was in there a few years ago with my previous boat, a Catalina 22. We had no issues with the inlet, though it was a very calm day and I had called TowBoatUS for local knowledge. We did, however, get little rest anchored near the bridge in Rainbow Channel. The roar from the bridge went on all night, but the bigger problem was the reversing current and poor holding. We had to stand anchor watches and started dragging at both tide changes.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 13:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbent View Post
but the bigger problem was the reversing current and poor holding.
Thanks for reminding me about the current. It is important as you go under the bridge. There are two red bouys right in front of you just past the inside of the center span of the bridge. If you have a tall rig and need to go under the center of the bridge, you need to make a hard left turn just after passing the bridge. If the tide is flooding swiftly you do not have much time before you get swept into shallow water. I don't think that would keep me from going in again even in a flood tide... It is just something to look out for.

I made a post on Active Capitan about that.