Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 21:51   #46

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Just like being a true patriotic american. I can see a 5 star resort at gitmo, sorry my beliefs won't let me in.
Old 15-01-2011, 22:57   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Hmmm.. religious groups can travel to Cuba, but an atheist can't. I see the ACLU filing a law suit in the near future.

Don't know why they'd return Guantanamo to the Cubans, theCuban government leased it to the U.S. in 1903. I've been there a few times before the prison was built, nice place, great diving, would love to go back.
A lease isn't sovereignty is it? The US acts as though it is sovereign territory. The Cuban gov't would argue that the lease wasn't legal in any event. I'm sure the Cuban's would be happy to have you come and dive.

Old 16-01-2011, 01:56   #48

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I've read that Castro never cashed a single rent check for that lease. Wouldn't take our money on general principle. It seems that it was in a legitimate book concerning Cuba, not on some blog.
Old 16-01-2011, 03:18   #49

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
A lease isn't sovereignty is it? The US acts as though it is sovereign territory. The Cuban gov't would argue that the lease wasn't legal in any event. I'm sure the Cuban's would be happy to have you come and dive.
No, but the Republic of Cuba gave the U.S. absolute jurisdiction and control over the area, and hence why Castro refuses to recognize U.S. control of the Bay. The British are in the same situation in Gibraltar with Spain.

In any case this isn't a thread about Guantanamo Bay, it is about the U.S. finally letting easing travel restrictions to Cuba.

I personally think there are no valid reasons for the restrictions and think they are silly, but as a U.S. citizen, I'd respect the law and stay out until I can legally go there. I've been to a lot of places, missing the rest of Cuba isn't going to kill me. On the other hand if they finally do drop the restrictions for travel there, I will most likely travel there.
Old 16-01-2011, 05:11   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Obama to ease Cuba travel restrictions-The White House press office sent out a release saying Obama had directed the changes, which do not need congressional approval. They will be put in place within two weeks.Obama to ease Cuba travel restrictions - Yahoo! News
Probably worth making clear (as CF has an international membership) that the US travel restrictions to Cuba only ever applied to Americans.

For everyone else therefore no change . Visit if you want. or not.
Old 16-01-2011, 05:21   #51

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I can legally go to China. I can legally go to the former USSR. I can legally go to Venezuela. I can not legally go to Cuba. :headscratch
Old 16-01-2011, 06:47   #52

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate

Sounds pretty good to me. Plus I hear it's an island. A big island! I like islands. They usually have many fine places to anchor, fish, dive, beachcomb, and few marinas or mooring fields. The southern coast looks like paradise to me.

I'm not smart enough to understand the logic behind our US policy, if any, but I lived and worked in Miami for many years, right smack in Little Havana, and my experience is that Cubans are just folks like most of the rest of us only with better-looking women. I'm going to look into this. I don't have to come back anyway.
Old 16-01-2011, 08:15   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This thread has generated political and personal comments that we just do not want here. As a result, and the fact it has gone so far off its intended path, it is time to close it down.
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba, cuba