Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 06:04   #1

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
NYC Local Knowledge Needed

We have friends who are flying in to New York City on July 4th, and want to take them out on the boat to watch the best fireworks display. I think we want to watch the Macy's show on the Hudson river, but I'm not sure.

Is there a public landing in Manhattan where we can pick them up and drop them off, preferably near Greenwich Village where they are staying??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:15   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: NYC Local Knowledge needed

Hudson River Park at Pier 40 (79th st.?) might be a possibility. It's right near Greenwich Village and they also have moorings, but I don't think they rent to transients. I would call them to see if you can pick up people from the dock: 212-627-2020 (I never have, so someone else here may have better knowledge. I just met someone docking recently at the Intrepid Museum, but that was a whole other story!)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:32   #3

Boat: Pearson 36

The north cove is down town, Battery Park area. You could pick them up there. (212) 786-1200

There is a marina a the Chelsea Piers that im sure you could also stop at. They are located at 18th street and the west side highway (hudson river)

FYI, The 79th street boat Basin mentioned above is NOT near Greenwich Village.
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:40   #4

Everything Triton gave you is spot on but I'd check about area closings and block offs both on and off the water due to security.
jmo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:44   #5

You might want to have them meet you on the Jersey side and then pick a non restricted viewing spot from there.
jmo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:07   #6

Boat: In between boats

Hi, Here is the link for this year's fireworks show.

http://www.iboatnyharbor.com/Advisor...rks-070412.pdf

Sailor's Soul will be in the ALPHA section on the NYC side. Maybe I'll see you on the water.

Happy Sailing!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:41   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don, security tends to shut down most or all of the harbor from way before until way after. Even if you can pick them up, they may be captive till well after midnight. And the harbor tends to become a zoo. Not to mention, public access for docking anywhere is, well, "fuggedaboudit" pretty much all the time.

Offhand, I'm sure there's a solution but it might be simpler to have them take the PATH train over to the Jersey side and find someplace over there. North Cove may have the same policy that the SSSeaport has: Touch the dock, and you pay for dockage. Chelsea Piers MIGHT have some public access, but if it does it may also be thronged with yahoos toting cases of budweiser.

This is one where you want to call ahead, confirm who you speak to, and then if at all possible, VISIT and see what the situation is. Access, debris or shoal water, all the usual hazards plus a party weekend.

Get past all that, and it is a beautiful show.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:31   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Thanks, Triton, for the correction. Hudson River Park Pier 40 is at Greenwich village, but please ignore my "(79th st.?)" notation...that's an error.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:41   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Don, Viewing the Macy's fireworks will be best on the Manhattan west side below 59th St. Hoboken in New Jersey will be another good area. On the water will probably not be a good idea. Where there is no security it will be a zoo and New York Harbor is no fun on a good day with the boats and currents. You can see the details and a chart of the safety zones here...http://www.iboatnyharbor.com/Advisor...rks-070411.pdf . Hope this helps. There are several commercial cruise boats that will take groups out to see the fireworks. This might be a better alternative. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 12:46   #10

Thanks for all the input--I'll check out some of the marinas suggested. Manhattan is sure not very boat-friendly.

The zoo on the water is just part of the fun...
Old 30-06-2012, 23:14   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Don,

How about checking Liberty Landing Marina in Newark. From their seawall you can see all the way up the BHudson to the GW bridge, you are right acccross from the Battery and Financial District West, and you are close to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...no need to go out on the water with the yahoos.

In addition the hig speed ferry docks in the marina comming from west side of Wall Street Area where the towers were, so your friends could get there direct rather easily.

We stay at Liberty Landing Marina when we travel to New England and the LI Sound sometimes. Easy way to get to Manhattan for the day with the ferry right there. Great restaurant and docking facilities

Check it out.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 23:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Thanks for all the input--I'll check out some of the marinas suggested. Manhattan is sure not very boat-friendly.

The zoo on the water is just part of the fun...
Boat friendly? I rode the subways as a kid...people friendly it t'was.

Zoo? Part of the fun? If taken seriously, that'd be dangerous at best. Humorously, try Central Park.

Asking on June 30th about where to go to find fireworks on a boat on July 4th either means you're new to boating or have friends who wanna take you places ya just don't wanna go!

Have safe good fun (sorry to sound like mom) wherever you go and whatever you do.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 19:44   #13

Re: NYC Local Knowledge Needed

I took a scouting trip today and found that the Hudson River Park at Pier 25 looks pretty good. It has mooring fields, plus a long floating dock which I should be able to go alongside to pick up friends (or take the dinghy into if its crowded).

After the cruise up the Hudson, I took the East River up to Manhasset Bay. Hit Hells Gate at max flood and got the old girl up to 14.3k over the ground (8k through the water).

Forecast for the 4th is for possible severe T-storms--that may cut the crowds down.

I don't think the 4th in NYC will compare to anchoring off the Opera House in Sydney for the Millennium fireworks, but I'll never know if I don't go.
Old 05-07-2012, 21:06   #14

Re: NYC Local Knowledge Needed

We did go watch the Macy's fireworks last night, and Pier 25 on Manhattan turned out be a convenient place to pick up folks. It is currently managed by Liberty Landing Marina. They charged $20 for a 'touch and go" landing on their floating dock, which is pricey but better than the alternatives I looked at.

On the water, we kept waiting for the boat wakes to die down when they closed the Hudson river, but they just kept coming--some of the biggest were by the NYPD police boats which just HAD to go racing around to nowhere. Of course, after the fireworks were finished, there was a mad dash home with some giant wakes. I suspect that similar wakes played a role in the tragedy on Long Island Sound, and fortunately our TV set fell over backwards instead of pitching off the counter...at least I have crossed that one off the list and don't have to do it again.

Tags
nyc