Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 06:46   #16

Re: Nova Scotia

See where it says "Little Harbor 38 - Safari" on your profile thingy? He has one of those thingies too that tells you what size boat he has.

Pretty sure he has an idea about how fast his boat goes, has looked at the mileage, etc. hence his questioning the feasibility of his plan as well as practical usable advice about customs.

Prolly your intentions are good but suggesting someone Google something isn't really helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	102246  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 07:18   #17

As far as clearing customs goes, it's basically a non issue for American Citizens as long as you remember to leave your guns at home.

I live in Canada, but my wife does her grocery shopping in the state's, crosses the boarder 3 times a week (18 pack of Coors beer in NF NY for $12 vs about $30 in NF ON). The boarder is very very relaxed, I wouldn't stress about that aspect of the voyage. You do need a passport though.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 07:58   #18

Boat: Pearson 530

Hi Subway,

I did the trip on a 30 foot Baba and had 7 long days including an overnight sailing from the NYSS in New Rochelle. We saw lot of fog and a storm that kicked up 15 footers. Our course used the Cape Cod Canal to minimize some of the weather effects. We made it to Yarmouth, NS because going around to Halifax would have been a PITA. Fronts usually come through every 3 or 4 days so having Plan BCDEF may be worthwhile. Heading back you'll be running into the wind mostly so it will take a bit longer.

When my wife and I would do a trip Down East we'd travel for a week, sight-see for a week, then head back home. We seldom got back too early.
Old 17-05-2015, 08:45   #19

Boat: C. E. Ryder, Southern Cross 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
See where it says "Little Harbor 38 - Safari" on your profile thingy? He has one of those thingies too that tells you what size boat he has.

Pretty sure he has an idea about how fast his boat goes, has looked at the mileage, etc. hence his questioning the feasibility of his plan as well as practical usable advice about customs.

Prolly your intentions are good but suggesting someone Google something isn't really helpful.

Thanks ...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Subway Sailor is on YouTube
Old 17-05-2015, 08:49   #20

Quote:
Well, if there's no lady involved and you're gearing up for something bigger, I say go for it as long it won't ruin your day if you end up having to leave the boat somewhere and go back and get it later.

One question, did the boat come equipped with the wind vane or did you install it?

I actually bought the boat with the Windvane, it apparently has never been used, my rudder for it was still like out if the box but interestingly i was told my boat has gone around cape horn?!?

Thank god for weems and plath, their trusty navigation gear, open cpn, openseamap, earthnc, and sailboatdata.com,

Old 17-05-2015, 08:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
My apologies, I didn't realise it was your third boat.

I'm sure you own a parallel ruler, set of dividers and know your hull speed. Measure the distance, divide by hull speed and you will have your time.

No one asked for time...??!?? I asked for customs clearance experience to and from canada.!?!

Maybe you need to get your binoculars out from your blinding water-length boat and zoom in on what i asked for or not participate

Old 17-05-2015, 09:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Sailor View Post
I just want to make it there from new york in like 6-7days. Am i dreaming? 3 week vacation ! 2 weeks at sea 1 week on land-ish!

Who knows about clearing customs there?

This question isn't about time? Somebody said you could make it in 3 or 4 days and I tried to help you by saying I thought that timeline would be too aggressive. You gave a snarky response about being super experienced so I said to figure out the timing yourself then.

I believe I answered the question about customs. I said it was a non-issue for American citizens, just remember to bring your passport. What kind of customs issues are you concerned about? You don't need an entry Visa, there are no weird laws that will result in your boat being Impounded. It's easy. Just show up, that's all there is to it.

I cross the Niagara and St Lawrence rivers routinely back and forth between the two countries, you pick up a little video phone and call customs to clear in. Most of the time nobody even comes down to see you, you often don't even need to interact with a real life boarder guard.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:31   #23

Highly recommend this book. Author was a pioneer in the use and design of self-steering and pretty much wrote the book on the subject. Reading it will gift you the understanding of not only self-steering and how to design your own but a deeper understanding of the balance of forces involved with what's happening when you are actually sailing. This book will make you a better sailor.

Self-steering gear can be tricky to get set-up but once done proper they are truly magical devices. My guess is your PO bought the gear but lacked the understanding required to make it work, hence never used because why wouldn't you? Who knows why people do what they do. Probably a sister-ship rounded the horn. Looks like a fine boat. Enjoy!

Agreed customs a non-issue. People come and go all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	102250  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:13   #24

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Must have been the rum - anyway customs is incredibly easy going to Canada. Arrive at a clearing port such as Shelburne, call an number, give them your passport number, boat name, etc. If they are in a good mood they will give you a number to display on the port side. If they are in a bad mood they will come down and visit and check you out. They usually are good guys in a good mood. I said to Google it because there are a lot of details such as how much booze you can bring etc etc.

Coming back to the US can be more of a pain. You have to enter a clearing port, call a number and they usually come down and check you out. It costs around $30 for a sticker which you can purchase beforehand online.

There is a new system called Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) that expedites everything by being pre-cleared. I think it costs $40 and is good for a number of years. You fill out forms online, make an appointment for validation in person and later fill out a returning float plan online. When you arrive you can call from wherever you enter the US and they will either clear you (usually) or redirect you. You still will need the $30 sticker. Everyone onboard needs to have done this. I just did it as we plan on going to the St John River this summer - its very easy.

Oh - Best Cruising Guides

Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia - Peter Loveridge - It comes as a DVD that you can print - almost 500 pages and lots of info and chartlets.

CCA Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 01:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
Must have been the rum - anyway customs is incredibly easy going to Canada. Arrive at a clearing port such as Shelburne, call an number, give them your passport number, boat name, etc. If they are in a good mood they will give you a number to display on the port side. If they are in a bad mood they will come down and visit and check you out. They usually are good guys in a good mood. I said to Google it because there are a lot of details such as how much booze you can bring etc etc.

Coming back to the US can be more of a pain. You have to enter a clearing port, call a number and they usually come down and check you out. It costs around $30 for a sticker which you can purchase beforehand online.

There is a new system called Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) that expedites everything by being pre-cleared. I think it costs $40 and is good for a number of years. You fill out forms online, make an appointment for validation in person and later fill out a returning float plan online. When you arrive you can call from wherever you enter the US and they will either clear you (usually) or redirect you. You still will need the $30 sticker. Everyone onboard needs to have done this. I just did it as we plan on going to the St John River this summer - its very easy.

Oh - Best Cruising Guides

Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia - Peter Loveridge - It comes as a DVD that you can print - almost 500 pages and lots of info and chartlets.

CCA Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast

Perfect! Thanks

Old 18-05-2015, 01:35   #26

Quote:
Highly recommend this book. Author was a pioneer in the use and design of self-steering and pretty much wrote the book on the subject. Reading it will gift you the understanding of not only self-steering and how to design your own but a deeper understanding of the balance of forces involved with what's happening when you are actually sailing. This book will make you a better sailor.

Self-steering gear can be tricky to get set-up but once done proper they are truly magical devices. My guess is your PO bought the gear but lacked the understanding required to make it work, hence never used because why wouldn't you? Who knows why people do what they do. Probably a sister-ship rounded the horn. Looks like a fine boat. Enjoy!

Agreed customs a non-issue. People come and go all the time.

Great thanks a lot

Tags
nova scotia