Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 11:50   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: not so friendly lobsterman in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
sailorboy1 it sounds like you are letting your anti-gun views influence your reading comprehension.
Nope! I have no anti-gun views other than when people who weren't threatened with physical injury/death start saying they wished they had guns. In this case the land based equivalent would be about "Someone was drag racing up and down my street and calling me names. Later they did it again so I wish I had a gun." There would be no point in having a gun unless you suggesting you were willing to shoot them.

I'm pretty "anit-shot people who aren't directly threatening my life or physical harm".

I'm all for blowing away someone who boarded my boat and came at me with a knife or even a club. But for waking my boat and calling me a name, come on!!
Old 25-08-2017, 12:18   #32

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Nope! I have no anti-gun views other than when people who weren't threatened with physical injury/death start saying they wished they had guns. In this case the land based equivalent would be about "Someone was drag racing up and down my street and calling me names. Later they did it again so I wish I had a gun." There would be no point in having a gun unless you suggesting you were willing to shoot them.

I'm pretty "anit-shot people who aren't directly threatening my life or physical harm".

I'm all for blowing away someone who boarded my boat and came at me with a knife or even a club. But for waking my boat and calling me a name, come on!!
I agree with you but I think you're missing the picture here. They were not only threatening the OP with harm but deliberately waking the OP's boat was an assault. As we've all learned too well lately vehicles are weapons.
Old 25-08-2017, 12:29   #33

Quote:

Here is my take from 28 years of law enforcement experience. What happened here is essentially the equivalent of waterborne road rage. If you don't think this behavior has the potential for the instigator to lose control and try to harm or kill you with no warning, you need to get out of the house more. It happens somewhere, nearly every day.

And, hoping that someone doesn't decide to try and kill or hurt you, is not really a plan.
Old 25-08-2017, 12:37   #34

My family have been lobster men and fishermen in Maine for 10 generations. Yes, a few cousins came with less than a full set of social skills, but the behavior you experienced is reprehensible. Make life a little difficult for them. Write to the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources and Department of Tourism about your experience (include pictures) and copy the Governor and a couple of newspapers. Then enjoy the response.
Old 25-08-2017, 13:12   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I agree with you but I think you're missing the picture here. They were not only threatening the OP with harm but deliberately waking the OP's boat was an assault. As we've all learned too well lately vehicles are weapons.
No you are missing the point. In most of the country if you shot at a boat because they are driving around your anchored boat it is going to be YOU in trouble. It's not a reasonable response just as it isn't reasonable to shoot at someone on the road that cuts you off,
Old 25-08-2017, 13:22   #36

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

If you resort to using a gun---ANYWHERE---- you will regret it for the rest of you life. You think a little harassment from a know nothing lobsterman is bad? Try lawsuits, criminal charges, maybe prison. Yeah...go for it
Old 25-08-2017, 13:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgledhill View Post
My family have been lobster men and fishermen in Maine for 10 generations. Yes, a few cousins came with less than a full set of social skills, but the behavior you experienced is reprehensible. Make life a little difficult for them. Write to the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources and Department of Tourism about your experience (include pictures) and copy the Governor and a couple of newspapers. Then enjoy the response.
What he said.

When you contact them mention this story has over 2,000 views which is too bad because you could've come back telling everyone about the misty Maine mornings and all that fresh lobster.

Portland Press Herald has large circulation.
John Richardson, Metro editor
(207) 791-6324 jrichardson@pressherald.com

GOIN DEEP ME 9592C sells his catch, if any, somewhere. I bet his buyer is also then a seller of lobstah rolls and in turn a big proponent of tourism.

GOIN DEEP may have a Commercial Lobster Harvester on file with the state. This incident sounds like more than enough grounds for him to get a written warning.
Old 25-08-2017, 13:48   #38

Quote:
No you are missing the point. In most of the country if you shot at a boat because they are driving around your anchored boat it is going to be YOU in trouble. It's not a reasonable response just as it isn't reasonable to shoot at someone on the road that cuts you off,
Now you're just making stuff up. The OP never said he wanted to shoot at them because of what they did & nobody is suggesting that would be a smart move. Personally I'm a gun control advocate & don't own a hand gun. My point is that accusing the OP of threatening or wanting to shoot these guys is jumping to conclusions. Just another example of a thread going off the rails.
Old 25-08-2017, 13:59   #39

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Next time they come around, if you have time, try to video the incident.
It may even make you some money on You Tube if it goes viral.
Then send a copy of the video to local law enforcement.
THEN sue them in Small Claims Court for the costs of any damages and harassment. In Ontario, the cost of filing is under $100 and you don't need a lawyer. Now the jerk will have to hire a lawyer to represent him, which will cost him money and time.
You can't sue in small claims court for "harassment", only for actual damages. Unless he knocked a TV off its mount or the wake caused you to fall and break a bone, you're not going to win and even if you win, actually getting paid is not a guarantee.
Old 25-08-2017, 14:03   #40

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Now you're just making stuff up. The OP never said he wanted to shoot at them because of what they did..........
He did say he wished he had a gun on board. Now what would he do with that gun he wished for if not shoot at the guy?
Old 25-08-2017, 14:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
He did say he wished he had a gun on board. Now what would he do with that gun he wished for if not shoot at the guy?
Old 25-08-2017, 14:27   #42

I like that observation "it's not really personal"......! When it scares you - it's really personal.
This fellow knows of what he speaks:
"What happened here is essentially the equivalent of waterborne road rage. If you don't think this behavior has the potential for the instigator to lose control and try to harm or kill you with no warning, you need to get out of the house more. It happens somewhere, nearly every day.

And, hoping that someone doesn't decide to try and kill or hurt you, is not really a plan."
Old 25-08-2017, 14:29   #43

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
You can't sue in small claims court for "harassment", only for actual damages. Unless he knocked a TV off its mount or the wake caused you to fall and break a bone, you're not going to win and even if you win, actually getting paid is not a guarantee.
You may not win a Harassment amount, but you can still add it to your claim.
Just be sure that you include all real cash costs.
Be aggressive.
The court will sort through it.
Old 25-08-2017, 14:35   #44

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
There was no defense needed.
You right, this time.
Old 25-08-2017, 14:49   #45

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
"the OP has the human right to defend himself and his wife by any means necessary."

Unfortunately, that varies from state to state. In my state you could blow them away and ask questions later. In some of the more "liberal" states, your legal obligation is to try to escape. That could mean jumping and swimming to shore. In some states you wouldn't be allowed to even have a gun on board.

I don't think the fact that someone came by in a boat and waked you translates to they will be back that night and do something worse. That's quite a stretch.
Unfortunately Human rights don't always align with Legal rights.
Closed Thread

Tags
maine