Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 18:23   #1

Question Northern Bahamas Recommendations

Hello,
I'm considering charting out of Abacos in the Bahamas. I was hoping that those that have been in that region might have some attractions/destination recommendations.

In general these are the sorts of destination I'm interested in:

Abandoned places
Deserted Places
Ruins
Places with few people
Shipwrecks
Uninhabited islands
Caves
Great snorkel spots
Light houses
Impressive natural formations

Based on this, what would be your top 5 attractions/destinations?
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 13:21   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Northern Bahamas Recommendations

Deserted Places & Uninhabited Islands:

The Carter's Cays group western cays such as Joe's and Jacks* I often (but not always) find a bay to myself at Umbrella* Bay on ocean side of Allan's-Pensacol*,, occasionally at Powell, sometimes the northern bays of Manjack as well as off No Name. Spoil Cay tends to get visitors during the day, but I've often had to myself at night. Further south, Water Cay and Deep Sea/Snake Cays are good bets.

Ruins and Abandoned places:

A few small ones on Great Sale, more on Carter's Cays both associated with the former missile tracking bases.

Places with few people

New Plymouth is my favorite Abaco town. Marsh Harbour is good for reprovisioning. Cooper's town and Fox town* are smaller, less visited communities. As mentioned above, there are many uninhabited islands. Manjack has good trail walking and a very long ocean side beach.

Great snorkel spots:

Almost any part of the barrier reef on a calm day. It's very close at Great Guana. You can swim from the tip of the island out to the reef there. Fowl Cays is a reasonable inside reef as the is the one by Sandy Cay which can get some swell.

Light houses:

Hope Town.

Other:

Lobstering in season.

* North of normal chartering grounds.

When chartering, I always sign the waiver to go north of New Plymouth so we can enjoy Manjack and Powell. I've done a few 10 day charters in the Abacos where we've had an anchorage to ourself 8 of the 9 nights out. On my last charter we cooked dinner over coals from a fire on the beach almost every night.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, men