Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 09:38   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 40 Trawler Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl
Norman's Cay - Exumas

Can anyone advise as to whether the Norman's Cay Beach Club (formerly MacDuffs) has re-opened?

In June 2015 there was construction going on at the airport and some major landscaping taking place in preparation for what I was told will be new homes – but the restaurant was closed.

We're planning to explore further inland later this Summer and check out Lehder's 'volcano' home which I'm told is in the northern reaches of the island (not to be confused with the smaller residence on the south end that was for staff and parties). Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Kim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:43   #2

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Norman's Cay - Exumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Petersen View Post
Can anyone advise as to whether the Norman's Cay Beach Club (formerly MacDuffs) has re-opened?

In June 2015 there was construction going on at the airport and some major landscaping taking place in preparation for what I was told will be new homes – but the restaurant was closed.

We're planning to explore further inland later this Summer and check out Lehder's 'volcano' home which I'm told is in the northern reaches of the island (not to be confused with the smaller residence on the south end that was for staff and parties). Any suggestions would be appreciated!
From what I've read they're building a resort at the northern end of the island, so expect it to become more "private" than it used to be.

Good luck getting to Volcano as well! The neighbours weren't too happy about us trying to gain access last time we went (although that was in 2009). Post up photos if you do get in... if I had the cash, I'd honestly buy a plot there just for the history

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

Was there few weeks ago and witnessed very little activity.
However some major construction going on on the southern tip where the old bar used to be.
A lot has changed since my first time there in the late 70's.
It was a little scary back then. Was intimidated by some out of place looking natives.
BTW are you ex-SF????
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Was there few weeks ago and witnessed very little activity.
However some major construction going on on the southern tip where the old bar used to be.
A lot has changed since my first time there in the late 70's.
It was a little scary back then. Was intimidated by some out of place looking natives.
BTW are you ex-SF????
Is the old hotel / resort still in the SE corner of the island?

n
Old 09-06-2016, 13:33   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

McDuffs was open a month ago when I was there. The construction on Normans has slowed down. Apparently the construction manager died. The marina basin is dug out but no entrance yet. The airport has been extended and jets land there now. The new dock is substantial. The island just north or west of Normans Cut has some construction going on. A basin was dug into the cay (Boot Cay) this spring but it's small and looks like a private house will go up there.

As for Normans I've seen three or four attempts to develop the place since I first visited in 1990 This recent one has gone the furthest. I used to worry that the spot would be developed and ruined for cruisers but so far little has changed. Oh, the plane in the anchorage is nearly all rusted away. That's about it..
Old 09-06-2016, 13:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Is the old hotel / resort still in the SE corner of the island?

n
If you mean the clubhouse with the antenna, yes, it's still there. And there's water in the cistern.
Old 09-06-2016, 13:48   #7

It is a beautiful spot.
Old 09-06-2016, 13:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
McDuffs was open a month ago when I was there. The construction on Normans has slowed down. Apparently the construction manager died. The marina basin is dug out but no entrance yet. The airport has been extended and jets land there now. The new dock is substantial. The island just north or west of Normans Cut has some construction going on. A basin was dug into the cay (Boot Cay) this spring but it's small and looks like a private house will go up there.

As for Normans I've seen three or four attempts to develop the place since I first visited in 1990 This recent one has gone the furthest. I used to worry that the spot would be developed and ruined for cruisers but so far little has changed. Oh, the plane in the anchorage is nearly all rusted away. That's about it..
Thanks for the update! I haven't been back since 2009 and was worried they might have killed the mystique of the cay with over-development. Where's the marina basin located?

Back then, only the part of the plane that was underwater remained... hopefully there'll still be some to snorkel when I get back there (sooner or later!!)

n
Old 09-06-2016, 14:15   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I was there in 2003 and the flying club provisioned their clubhouse for the best burger of the Bahamas, where they put all the fixings on the table and you build it yourself That was all there was, plus some abandoned houses with beds that had only the steel springs of the mattresses still on: the rest had rotted away
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 00:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I was there in 2003 and the flying club provisioned their clubhouse for the best burger of the Bahamas, where they put all the fixings on the table and you build it yourself That was all there was, plus some abandoned houses with beds that had only the steel springs of the mattresses still on: the rest had rotted away
Nice one - thanks for the update.

Have you guys ever read the book "Turning the Tide"? I bought a copy from the Exuma Land & Sea Park station at Warderick Wells after we'd been to Norman's and the place has fascinated me ever since....

On the one hand, it's a shame they want $3m per plot of land on the cay... on the other hand, I guess it's keeping it from being over developed!

n
Old 10-06-2016, 05:19   #11

Boat: contessa 32

Went by but knew better than to stop and anchor back in the early 1980s
The drug activity was extensive in the Bahamas back then and was risky to be somewhere where drug transfers were taking place i.e.isolated anchorages esp. on nights w/o any moon. These were not small operations and were carried out by serious dudes with modern motherships and small plane surveillance . I once spent an anxious night an a remote anchorage as a transfer occurred that involved a Boston whaler that took a number
of men the whole night to complete ,only a few yards from my sloop.Anybody remember the Trinka?
There were other nights when I dashed below deck to turn on my spreader lights to warn a helicopter skimming the surface at high speed that my mast was there to trip him out of the sky_____no running lights of course,wouldn't have been pretty.
These pilots were unemployed vets fresh out of Viet Nam and already had been to Hell and back ,and had become addicted to an adrenaline soaked existence .Some also drove high speed watercraft as well ,and made interesting bar companions once the liquor began to flow.
Anybody remember the Cigarette boat Blue Thunder?
Interesting times indeed, these midnight transfers often meant that some"cargo" would end up in the water and since they were well wrapped they would ultimately be fished out by cruisers and gave new meaning to beach potluck gatherings.
................................luv you all................mike........................... ..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:53   #12

Not too many square groupers out there anymore.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:18   #13
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

It is a beautiful spot.
I always enjoy seeing that pic, Rick. To me, that's what the Bahamas is all about.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I always enjoy seeing that pic, Rick. To me, that's what the Bahamas is all about.

Ralph
Yes. And that's my boat in the background. What more can you ask for.
Old 12-06-2016, 18:22   #15

Boat: Hobie Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Nice one - thanks for the update.

Have you guys ever read the book "Turning the Tide"? I bought a copy from the Exuma Land & Sea Park station at Warderick Wells after we'd been to Norman's and the place has fascinated me ever since....

On the one hand, it's a shame they want $3m per plot of land on the cay... on the other hand, I guess it's keeping it from being over developed!

n

Great Read. Interesting what went on during the drug cartel days. "Killing Pablo" is another great read that connects
Norman's to the distribution network.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
twalsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas