Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-03-2013, 14:14   #1

No anchoring in Maule Lake, FL?

According to reports someone has bought the rights to Maule Lake in North Miami and is telling people it is private property and you can't anchor there, or you will be fined. I'm pretty sure that Florida's Public Trust Doctrine means that all waters in the state, whether public or private, must remain open for navigation for all to use, and anchoring is considered a normal part of navigation. Anyone know anything about this situation?

Old 06-03-2013, 14:48   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: No anchoring in Maule Lake, FL?

Well I don't see how even if true that a private person can fine a boat! All they could do is call the police etc.

Old 06-03-2013, 15:09   #3

I just don't see how they can fence off such a large tract of tidal water, connected to the ICW, and call it a private lake. In Florida there are areas where the bottom is held privately, but I believe in all cases that have come up before the courts it has been ruled that you can still anchor on that bottom as long as it is covered by public water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maule.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	56328  
Old 06-03-2013, 16:08   #4

Boat: csy 37

sounds fishy. if the lake were private than boats could not pass through it from the icw to the marina on the west side either. unless i suppose the 'owner' gave permission.

i used to keep my boat in that marina back in the 70's. was always full of down on their luck liveaboards and cruisers. then one day the marina was sold to some investors who immediately doubled the dockage fees. place cleared out, with many of them just moving out into the lake. i moved down to the keys...
Old 06-03-2013, 17:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

There is a post on cruisersnet from someone that claims to be the owner and they will report boats anchored as trespassing, to law enforcement. It's impossible to tell of it's the actual so called owner, Cruiser's Net Archive Is Maule Lake an Anchorage? Off the AICW at Statute Mile 1077.5 . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:44   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I expect that if someone tries to drive the boaters out, there will not only be lawsuits, but more people coming in to anchor just to rub it in whomever it is's face, like they did the other guy down that way recently. I always rejoice to see sailors asserting their anchoring rights.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I'm working on connecting all the dots on this one. The timing leads me to guess that it has something to do with the abandoned marina recently purchased and slated for redevelopment as condos. From WG.com:

"A marina on Maule Lake (off ICW Mile 1075), abandoned since the real estate crash, is finally getting un-abandoned and - to the envy of every other marina's eye - redeveloped as Marina Palms, with two condo towers and every imaginable maritime amenity a skipper could want, according to a Miami.Curbed.com article." (Ed. Note: the article erroneously describes the property as "on Biscayne Bay.")

This is sounding a lot like Boca Grande.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14   #8
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post

This is sounding a lot like Boca Grande.
Wasn't that a shame? Boca used to be a nice place.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12   #9

Boat: csy 37

i have serious doubts about the sudden private ownership of maule lake. as far as i know it's been state land since florida was a state and it's not likely the state would, or even could, sell it to a private party without the general public knowing about it. for one thing, the marina is not the only property on the lake. there are other condos as well as a state park.

if i were still in that area i would continue to anchor there and contiinue to challenge any attempt to force me out, within the guidelines of the florida boating laws. this is apparently an attempt by the new owners of the old marina to 'clean up' the view for the future buyers of the condo he's building....
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i have serious doubts about the sudden private ownership of maule lake. as far as i know it's been state land since florida was a state and it's not likely the state would, or even could, sell it to a private party without the general public knowing about it. for one thing, the marina is not the only property on the lake. there are other condos as well as a state park.

if i were still in that area i would continue to anchor there and contiinue to challenge any attempt to force me out, within the guidelines of the florida boating laws. this is apparently an attempt by the new owners of the old marina to 'clean up' the view for the future buyers of the condo he's building....
That's what I was thinking, too. Nothing wrong with trying to get derelict/abandoned boats out, but interfering in navigation rights on state water is a loser.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

This owner is so full of it...

The only allowable restrictions on where you can anchor are by a municipality that has an area declared a public mooring field. Within that field only, they are able to regulate mooring.

There is no provision I am aware of that would allow a private individual to buy a navigable area and declare it off limits to others. In fact I have doubts that the state could do so even if it wished, since the navigable waterways are actually owned by the federal government not the states.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
This owner is so full of it...

The only allowable restrictions on where you can anchor are by a municipality that has an area declared a public mooring field. Within that field only, they are able to regulate mooring.

There is no provision I am aware of that would allow a private individual to buy a navigable area and declare it off limits to others. In fact I have doubts that the state could do so even if it wished, since the navigable waterways are actually owned by the federal government not the states.
That's not completely true. In many places in Florida the bay bottoms are deeded property so this claim "could" be legit. I managed a marina in Marathon and the marina owns the entire basin and had a deed just like a normal piece of property. We had complete control of what happened in that basin. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 07-03-2013, 15:12   #13

Boat: Hylas 46
Does anyone know the controlling depth at entrance to the lake. Looks like a nice anchorage...
Old 07-03-2013, 15:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

It's been a while since we were there last. If my memory is correct the entrance was about 6 feet but it was a little tricky to find it. We had to poke our nose in a couple of spots before we found good depths off the ICW. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39   #15

I wonder if these guys would be willing to buy Biscayne Bay from me?

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: