Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 20:34   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Newfoundland worth the Trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
There are a few of us here. We keep our small boat in Newfoundland. It’s a big place, you will only be able to experience a small bit.

So past Halifax you will want to do the St Peters canal into the Bra d’ Or lakes. Come out Big Bras d’ Or near slack. Tide over wind here can be really special. It’s a long overnight to St Pierre. Stock up on French Wine and bread. Slowly work you way back. Coming back look for the inside route around Canso, sailing in a forest for a bit.
That's not Newfoundland. That's Nova Scotia, and St. Pierre is real French. Newfoundland is north of there.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 21:43   #17

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
That's not Newfoundland. That's Nova Scotia, and St. Pierre is real French. Newfoundland is north of there.
Don't see where he said that it was Newfoundland-he was talking about routing to get there.
Old 20-05-2018, 06:21   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Final comment. The CHS charts and charts derived from them use a unknown datum. They don’t line up with the GPS, I’ve seen half mile discrepancies entering Francious and Grey River. If fine weather it’s not an issue, buoys are usually in place. At night, or more likely in fog, working radar is a must.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 08:52   #19

Important correction, it is “the boat WHO wouldn’t float”
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 08:55   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

Back in 2004 we spent a wonderful year and half in Newfoundland aboard "Moonshadow" based in Burgeo. We have lots of photos of Newfoundland's SW coast and the rest of the Province at

http://liveaboard.sv-moonshadow.com/

The memory of our stay and the people we met is the highlight of our lives.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:23   #21

Somewhat repetitive but only doing a land tour of Newfoundland was one of the best places we toured. The people are amazing as well as the history and scenery. We arrived in Corner Brook and as we walked down the Main Street glancing across the other side cars stopped. We felt compelled to cross although it was not our intention. A definite return visit is on our list.
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:24   #22

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'

the seafood is great.
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:35   #23

They came up Newfounland's west coast and on to Quebec/Labrador coast:
https://www.cruisingworld.com/wild-coast-quebec
Old 20-05-2018, 11:00   #24

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have flown to Newfoundland, it was worth the trip.
It was a long time ago, the “Newfies” are interesting too.
Yes, it was in July or August
First piece of advice is to not use this term as many still see it as a remnant of the American presence built up here after the second world war when it was implicit of a second class citizen. Like other words that are able to be used by the citizens themselves it is frowned upon by many Newfoundlanders for the above reasons. While I personally don't bat an eye to it there are those that will get their back up.

Sailing here in July doesn't guarantee the best weather. No telling really. August and September are probably the best months but the big winds can occur the later in the fall.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 11:05   #25

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I fell in love with the place reading Farley Mowat's book as a kid. Went there by car on a family vacation, probably over 10 years ago now. Wish I'd had more time!

I seriously wanted to extend my Down East Loop trip to include Newfoundland, but time (and my insurance company) just wouldn't allow it. I was very disappointed.

Is it true that the South coast is so remote that there are abandoned harbor towns you can cruise to, tie up at the town wharf, as be the only one in town? It all sounds soooo cool. Not sure I'll ever be THAT self-sufficient, but it's fun to think about.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 11:15   #26

Best to pick a Bay and hang out there for a while as trying to do the whole place will mean you see very little of the good stuff. Of course deep in the bays also means an increase in temperature and actual barefoot sailing. I'm not that lucky and my base is in a small town called Brookfield where five minutes out the next stop is Europe.

We've just opened a cafe to compliment my wife's working printmaking studio and plans are in the works for some Marina docks but may not happen in time for this season.
Old 20-05-2018, 11:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I fell in love with the place reading Farley Mowat's book as a kid. Went there by car on a family vacation, probably over 10 years ago now. Wish I'd had more time!

I seriously wanted to extend my Down East Loop trip to include Newfoundland, but time (and my insurance company) just wouldn't allow it. I was very disappointed.

Is it true that the South coast is so remote that there are abandoned harbor towns you can cruise to, tie up at the town wharf, as be the only one in town? It all sounds soooo cool. Not sure I'll ever be THAT self-sufficient, but it's fun to think about.
Few resettled towns around like that. Oftentimes these places have summer cabins in place of full time homes now and the residents are more than happy to have visitors. One of my favourite overnight getaways is one such Island in Bonavista Bay just a three hour sail from my mooring called Sydney Cove. Part of Pork Island it offers a fantastic anchoring ground with near perfect protection. It also has some good trails around the island coupled with great berry picking when in season.
Old 20-05-2018, 11:49   #28

Boat: KP 46

It is fantastic, I have sailed there a couple of times, once all the way up to Baffin Island. truly unspoilt cruising grounds. Goose Bay (a long way in) is pretty nice but it takes a while to get in and back out. Many well protected beautiful anchorages water you are the only boat around.Friendly folks when you see them. Well worth the trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 12:11   #29

Yes Goose Bay.Bob Hope entertained troops there one Xmas.IN't airport.Large US base during WWII.Have road now to Quebec and Island of Newfoundland.
Old 20-05-2018, 12:27   #30

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

Cruising Maritime Canada

Tags
newfoundland