Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2015, 09:27   #1

Newbie wondering about how long things can take

Hello folks.

Im pretty new to the forum and will in time have found my feet so to speak.
Im based in Cape Town and I have made a mental plan to get myself sailing. Im recovering from a torn bicep and shoulder operation, and as soon as the surgeon gives me the all clear to start rehab. I will be signing up and starting to do a bunch of sailing courses to get myself proficient and up to speed at sea.

I work as a comedian/actor/writer so I have sort of decided that I am able to make money whilst sailing. Sort of. But I need to get a few questions answered that perhaps you can assist me with.

Money will dictate in good time what kind of boat I will end up with. It could be a fairly small monohull or if there is some luck coming my way, perhaps on a multihull (to have the most comfortable livea-board experience)

I would like to ask those of you that have undertaken South Africa to European water journeys before on how you went about it. I am going to assume for most of you it was via the Caribbean and then onwards towards the med or in my case the UK eventually.

Could anyone give me an idea of when the ideal times to leave Cape Town would be in order to sail via the Caribbean for the best weather. I can hardly call myself a sailor till Ive fouled my pants in some heavy sea...and just from watching from our beaches...we certainly aren't messing about down at the Cape of Good Hope.

As a rule of thumb. How long would you estimate it would take to have a leisurely sail from Cape Town to the med/europe.

I really appreciate any info you could pass on..

thanks again
Martin

Old 02-09-2015, 23:40   #2

Re: Newbie wondering about how long things can take

A little bump here.

Can anyone give me an indication of how long a trip from Cape Town to The UK might take? thanks kindly

Old 03-09-2015, 00:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpants View Post
A little bump here.

Can anyone give me an indication of how long a trip from Cape Town to The UK might take? thanks kindly
Capetown to Barbados? Depends on boat, wind, and route.

Single-handing a 36-foot monohull:

1) Antigua to the Azores - Around 3 weeks.

2) The Azores to Northern Spain - a few more days.

2) Northern Spain to the UK - a few more days.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'day Martin, and welcome to CF.

The answer to your question depends on various factors, things like size and type of yacht y ou are sailing, your skill and determination to go fast, the specific weather that you encounter, the phase of the moon and the Dow Jones averages for the days at sea. Well, most of those things anyway!

But for t ypical smaller cruising yachts, one can reasonably expect to average 125 miles per day at sea over long distances. Larger (say 40+ feet monohull) more like 140 mpd, and for faster boats, cats or quick monos, even more.

These averages don't say anything about the days you spend in intermediate ports, relaxing, fixing things and sending home for more money. So, once you find out what boat you will be sailing, get out your charts, count up the miles and start doing some elementary trip planning. You will get a number that won't be really accurate but will guide your thinking. It will likely take longer than you figure...

Sorry to be so inexact in answering what you thought was a simple question, but sailing isn't an easily scheduled activity.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-09-2015, 03:55   #5

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

G'day Martin,

I sailed from Cape Town at the beginning of February this year. For the first few hundred miles I uncounted variable winds in the 'Horse Latitudes.' I stopped at Saint Helena, as just about everyone does. They have exposed moorings you rent and a taxi service to get you ashore. There is no harbour. It is expensive as they use Pound Sterling.

From there it's a dream sail in the trades. Even the current is with you! Depending on you waterline length, you can easily make 125 to 150 per day. It took me 27 days to reach Chaugaramas TT. You can visit South America or Ascention Is. to break the voyage if you choose. From there you can meander through the Caribbean probably to BVI. From there well, there are several routes. The easiest but longest is to sail to the USA. Up the coast then across the north Atlantic in the horse latitudes. The harder but shorter route is sail directly to the Canneries which is part of the EU. From there Europe calls.

Trust this is useful to you.

James
Old 03-09-2015, 06:58   #6

So 3-4 months would cover it comfortably?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:10   #7

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

G'day,

Well, I left Cape Town early Feb 15, was in Trinidad Tobago March, April, Chesapeake USA early May, New York June. From there you could sail directly to the Azores where I am currently at Santa Maria. Say another three weeks or a month to the Med. Arrive early Aug. I would allow at least six months. But that is pushing yourself and the boat pretty hard. But it is working the seasons and favourable winds.

As I mentioned in my last post. You could sail from the Caribbean direct which would be shorter and quicker. But you'll have head wind nearly all the way, and the seasons not so good.

James

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: