Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2012, 09:58   #16

Re: Newbie Charter from Ft Lauderdale

What a great forum. Thanks everyone for there advice. A captain on the first day is something I had not thought of. I will definitely look into that. I have requested a list of the equiptment/electronics on board so that I can download manuals now and start understanding them.... the last thing I want to be doing is to be learning how to operate the GPS (or whatever) during a storm or at night . Since my houseboat has very little draft (less than 12") and high sides, it doesnt react well to winds over 8-10knts.... Over the years I have learned to appreciate the art of setting anchors in different wind situations. I am truely a newbie at sailing but feel I have a solid understand of boating basics (house boats with a 12 ft beam dont park themselves in a 15 ft wide silp in a crosswind in a crowded marina ). That being said, I can understand the frustration of seasoned boaters with renters. The area that I boat in has a heavy rental boat population and they can be sometimes less considerate than one would like. No worries about the critical comments. I am a big boy and can take it. It may be your boat that I drift into though. Just kidding.

Great tips on not trying to cover too much ground! At first I was hopeful to make it down to Elliott Key, but there is no need to worry about how far down to make it. I am trying to make it fun for the kids too and am breakinig the trip up with some land activities. Here is what I have so far:

Sunday - provision and motor south on the ICW to pelican harbor or north side of the Venetian Causeway as George mentioned.

Monday - make our way to crandon park marina. We will walk to the miami seaquarium as my kid are huge into marine biology and learning about sea life and will spend some of the day there.

Tuesday - sail some and then make our way over to either hurricane hole or no name harbor and take in the park/beach

Wednesday - day of sailing, snorkleing, fishing in the bay. Not sure where to do the snorkleing yet though. Spend a couple of hours heading north back towards south beach area.

Thursday - Head north back up ICW and stay somewhere within a 3 hour motor of the charter marina

Friday - return charter by noon.

phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 10:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Re: Newbie Charter from Ft Lauderdale

Sounds like a good plan. If you're going ashore Hurricane hole might be out as it's difficult to get ashore there. Difficult but doable, you have to tie up at the bridge abutment and clamber over a low fence. Might be better for you to go to No Name.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: