Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 21:04   #1

Boat: morgan 38
New York to Bahamas in November

I'm considering sailing from Montauk to Bahamas early to mid November. I'm certain it'll be quite cold and unpleasant, besides that, I would like to hear from folks who have made such crossing this time of year.
A few years back I sailed my boat from Fla to NY and received very helpful information in this forum.
oceansong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:24   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: New York to Bahamas in November

You are correct, it will be cold. If you can catch a good weather window, the crossing should be OK. That is the time of year that you begin seeing the winter northers blowing. Do you plan to head south via the ICW and cross in Florida?
Old 28-09-2012, 16:03   #3

No, I'm actually thinking of doing a straight ocean crossing and entering the ICW only if weather gets really bad
Old 28-09-2012, 16:58   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansong1 View Post
No, I'm actually thinking of doing a straight ocean crossing and entering the ICW only if weather gets really bad
I would sail south to Chesapeake, if weather is good, then cross stream, if not, ICW down to Beaufort,NC...wait for weather change there. You need to get across the gulf stream otherwise if you get caught out in a northeaster, life is going to suck bad, or worst. Once you across then your out there to stay, and when in doubt, make east when you can.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 13:52   #5

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

My gut feeling is that you should not attempt a straight shot from NY – Bahamas in mid-November. Since you noted that you would take refuge in the ICW if the weather turned bad, you should sail the route that provides this as a viable option. Hatteras is not a place you want to leave close to starboard in mid-Nov, so you will have to be well offshore, particularly around 32 degrees and southward, putting you a days sail or more from what could be a treacherous inlet in the end, docking or anchoring in heavy weather, or perhaps worse, crossing the gulf stream E to W in a northerly blow.

A coastwise passage gives you the flexibility to hole up in a blow, continue south on the ICW in marginal weather, and take a variety of coastal hops in fair weather with good inlets to choose from. Weather can be somewhat unpredictable in Nov, so chance favors the prepared, and it would be wise to have all the good inlets picked out. Plenty of us have had fair weather in Nov as we sail south for days on end, but it is not a given.

That’s my 2 cents; hope it is a good, safe passage.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:50   #6

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

NO, NO......NY to the Bahamas is fine in November. Its the end of hurricane season. And , doncha know, the Caribe 1500 leaves in November every year for the last 20+ years. They sail from Hampton VA to either BVI or Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas. Sometimes they leave up to 2 weeks late because of the weather window.

One thing no one has mentioned is: PUT A FULL ENCLOSURE on your cockpit. The ride will be so much nicer. Also once across the stream around NC it starts getting warmer and warmer and warmer.
Great fishing and a fun adventure. If you need crew, I'll go. PM me.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33   #7

You guys are great, as always good thoughtful information and advise.

xxuxx: I was unaware of the Caribe 1500...generally how long does it take for the boats to arrive from VA to Bahamas? Will they be going to BVI or Bahamas this year?
Old 02-10-2012, 20:56   #8

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Oceansong......From Hampton, VA to the Bahamas is 6 days outside. Shorter if you have a faster vessel. It starts this year Nov 1 but half the time is delayed due to lack of weather window. Go to:
Caribe1500.Com
for more info. I prepare vessels for their departure and also have sailed in it before. Great people and great memories. Usually 60-80 vessels but only about 20 do the short leg to the Bahamas, the others take 10 days to Tortola. Hope this helps. If you do this, I want to crew.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:48   #9

Thanks xxu, from reading your entries you seem to have volumes of experience, however you may be disappointed as the only weapons I'll carry are a couple of spear guns, pole spears and lots of flares ( just kidding, I read your posts on weapons )

NY will be quite a longer trip and obviously much colder, I do have a good enclosure for the cockpit which I've had off the full season so I'll need to work it and stretch it back on. I was actually thinking of doing the crossing solo as I really can't guarantee anyone when I can drop them off on land again and most folks have commitments of one sort or another..I also know how rough it can get out there in November.

I'll definitely consider your offer of crewing, let's talk more, e-mail me at oceansong1@me.com
Old 04-10-2012, 03:44   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

You will be fine if you pick the correct weather window. Definately warmer than coming down inside and lots faster. Just don't go infront of a huge Hi pressure. Wait for a medium one and get well east of Hatteras.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:42   #11

I hear you Tingum, Hatteras makes me nervous and will keep my distance. Two questions, why will it be colder in the inside passage; I would expect the opposite and why is there a concern about leaving in front of a huge high pressure, will a huge high pressure definitely bring in a low pressure, bad weather system? What would be considered a huge high pressure system?

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions

Tags
Bahamas