Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
New Rules and Fees for Boats in the BVI

This just came up in another forum, and I cannot quite fathom the impact, although it would seem to indicate wanting to get rid of non-BVI boats

http://www.bvigazette.org/extrafile/...,%20200897.pdf
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:04   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Wow! If I'm figuring correctly, it would cost me almost $600 US per month for my 38 footer, just to anchor somewhere in the BVI. What are they thinking about???!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:19   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Wow! If I'm figuring correctly, it would cost me almost $600 US per month for my 38 footer, just to anchor somewhere in the BVI. What are they thinking about???!!!
I have no way of knowing what they're thinking about, of course, but my guess would be that the BVI authorities, like governments everywhere, are feeling the economic pinch. And, since transient boaters don't vote, they have their pockets picked first. All tourists, probably since before Marco Polo, have been considered fair game by the locals.

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22   #4

Yikes! Unless there is a clear exception elsewhere in the regs., this is a disaster for transient cruisers.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:05   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It is unclear whether these regs pertain to commercial or pleasure craft. Perhaps if we knew which regs were superceded we'd have a better idea. ALL or nearly all the charter boats in the BVI are foreign registered. So before we get our knickers in a twist let's see what it's really about.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12   #6

There is a exemption for boats licenced in the BVI which would include all the charterboats BVI based. It sure appears it applies to all boats over 15 feet that are not registered or licenced in the BVI.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Ithe BVI authorities, like governments everywhere, are feeling the economic pinch. And, since transient boaters don't vote, they have their pockets picked first. All tourists, probably since before Marco Polo, have been considered fair game by the locals.
For a community that NEEDS tourist incomes, this sounds like killing the golden goose.
Old 11-06-2008, 13:08   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
For a community that NEEDS tourist incomes, this sounds like killing the golden goose.
Oh, undoubtedly, but petty officials have never been lionized for their foresight.

The usual pattern is that those damaged by the loss of their livelihoods due to the ham-fisted, short-sighted shakedown of the "rich yacht owners," organize themselves into a bloc that eventually elects a new coterie that runs on their promise to make the islands more "tourist-friendly." Then, when things get tight, some genius stands, and asks, "Why don't we take it out of the tourists' hides? If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have all of these exorbitant expenses?!"

ad infinitum . . .

TaoJones

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2008, 16:22   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Well put Tao - it just adds another good reason (apart from avoiding a bash to windward) for bypassing the BVI's on my eventual trek south from Bermuda to Margarita Island. I'm currrently planning to make my first landfall in the Caribbean at St. Lucia. I must say, though, that on my last trip to the BVI's the anchorages were so filled with Charter Boats that it was already losing much of its charm.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 18:00   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
From what I read the "goose" is all of the other tourists. The transients are only a couple of feathers, easily lost.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:08   #11

I cannot figure out the regulations (luckily, my boat is BVI registered, so I'm off the hook); but if taken at face value then no other nation in the world makes it that expensive for boats to visit. While the BVI is a great destination/location it isn't that nice and even those in the govenment who don't sail know that - so I think that there might be exceptions or limits or other factors involved that we don't know about. At least I hope so. And now I don't need to worry about finding storage on the hard anymore.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:19   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Zan,

What does it cost to register a boat in the BVI? Might be cheaper than $0.50/day!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:39   #13

I think I pay $180 per annum
Old 12-06-2008, 11:30   #14

According to some web sites a non-BVI resident would also have to form a BVI corporation in order to register a boat -

BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.

Also, do not dismiss the economic importance of yacht tourism in the eastern Caribbean:

"Yacht tourism is recognized as being the second most economically important form of tourism in the Eastern Caribbean, behind hotels but ahead of cruise ships."

Working Together
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 05:43   #15

slomotion - unless you are an EU citizen and not a BVI one you will need to form a corporation. It was funny (in retrospect), I approached 3 companies regarding getting my boat registered (passing in all my details) and they ALL told me I had to form a corporation ni order to do this. When I pointed them at the letter of the BVI law they all stated either that "sorry, we didn't see this", "oh, we deal mainly with Americans" or some other lame excuse. Not surprising since they make more money off creating and mainting IBCs than for mere registrations. Beware the sharks on land!

p.s. I am selling my boat through BVI Yacht Sales; they actually really do know their stuff.

Tags
British Virgin Islands, fees