Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 04:31   #76
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post
How much is the "per person per day "? What would it cost ,total for a 30ft boat with two people?
WAB
Here's what Noonsite says:

"Harbour dues and ships' dues depending on the size of the boat.
BVI Cruising Tax: All visiting yachts from other Caribbean islands or from outside the territory must acquire cruising permits (available from Customs) upon entering BVI waters. Cost is $4.00 per person, per day, year round.

Charter guests aboard BVI registered yachts must also purchase cruising permits. The cost is $2.00 per person per day from December 1st to April 30th and $.75 per person per day from May 1st to November 30th. If a yacht is chartered complete with crew, the captain and crew are not required to pay a cruising fee, but the charter guests are. On a bareboat charter, everyone on board is required to pay the daily cruising fee.
As well as the cruising tax, foreign registered boats pay $10-15 per visit per boat. Visiting crewed charter boats also have to pay a departure tax of US$4 per person. Charter licence annual fee from $400 (under 40 ft (12 m)) to $800 (over 50 ft (15 m).

Overtime must be paid for customs clearance outside 0830-1530 Monday to Friday, 0830-1230 Saturdays and on public holidays."
Old 12-07-2008, 05:10   #77

I am going to try to clear things up a bit but even within the BVI government things are about as clear as a New England fog so take all of this with a grain of salt.

First, the $4 cruising fee is for crewed charter and bareboats only. Private boats may remain in the BVI for up to 30 days by paying only the entry fee which I believe is $15 and a $4/person departure tax. If you want to stay longer than 30 days you have to pay a $200 temporary import duty which is good for a year from the date you pay it. However, while your boat may remain you must get an extension on your visa and the maximum length of stay wilt extensions is 6 months. This policy has been in effect for some time.

The harbor fee is new and a source of confusion both to the sailing community and the power that be in the BVI. When they realized the impact they started scurrying around trying to find a way to lessen the impact. This has lead to considerable confusion. If you ask 5 people in different ministries you will get 10 different answers. Currently the BVI Ships Registry says you can avoid the harbor fee by obtaining a Coastal License. This license is good for one year and requires a safety inspection. The inspection and license currently cost $80 +$1.50/foot but one official says it will go to $210 + $1.50/foot in the next month or so. apt. Sallah, head of the registry has replied to some that it will cost $150 +$1.50/foot.

A sticking point on the licensing idea is the wording of the amendment imposing the fee. Paragraph 4(4), the definition of "home ported". 4(4)b) says "licensed in the British Virgin Islands which operates;". I assume that is the clause that allows us to get a license and be exempt but the last line of the paragraph says: "from an assigned berth or mooring in the British Virgin Islands.” The words "which operates" indicates that the last phrase is a continuation of the requirement. That sure sounds like you have to rent a slip to be licensed which will add significantly to the total cost. Several people claim that a slip is not required but that is not what the law says.

To add to the confusion another source says that vessels will have to pay the first day rate of $1/foot on every re-entry licensed or not. That would make the cost to run over to ST.Thomas for the day rather expensive.

As with many policy changes this one is fraught with unintended consequences and the BVI ministries are struggling to find ways to minimize the impact. More meetings are scheduled so I suggest we all hold our breath, cross our fingers and hope they arrive at a reasonable solution. This has been passed into law by the legislature however and there is a limit to how far the meaning can be stretched. Any significant change will probably require a new amendment to the amendment which will take some time. Stay tuned. The fat lady has not sung yet.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 03:42   #78

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
NEW NEWS FROM THE BVI'S

I JUST RECEIVED THIS EMAIL:

To all:
Thank you very much for you thorough comments and follow-up emails. I do believe that the BVI did not intent to tax private pleasure yachters, or commercial yachters. The law--meant to fine the Cruise Ships using the Ports Authority Dock--cast too wide a net, and in doing so, the BVI has struggled with the after-effect.

I do not believe that the BVI will totally rescind the law. However, after discussions with the VI Shipping Registry, seems that a vessel with a license is exempt from paying the fines.

The license (a coastal craft license) can be obtained for about $200, from the VI Ports Authority, after getting a Certificate of Inspection from the VI Shipping Registry. The license lasts one year. Captain Sallah, head of the VISR has said he will work with yachters who would like to obtain the certificate in advance of coming to the BVI. Yachters with USCG COI's or other safety documents can also send them in advance.

That being said, the $200 Temporary Importation Fee from Customs and per person per day will still apply for private yachts.

Of course, its best to remember that nothing is final until the July 15th start date. The link to the (partial) BVI Beacon article is here: http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1559&Ite mid=26.

I'd still like to hear comments from yachters as to whether they will apply for the CCL & COI--or decide to move elsewhere, or field any questions that I might be able to answer.

Thank you again for your help.
Regards,

--
Mason D. Marcus

Reporter
BVI Beacon
Tortola, BVI
C: (284) 540-5102
O: (284) 494-3434
F: (284) 494-9126

mason.d.marcus@gmail.com
bvibeacn@surfbvi.com
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 03:58   #79

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Waterworldy - I also received that e-mail last week; but realize that Mason, while being a reporter, is not a representative of the government and thus I will heed his advice and wait until I get official word. I have written to the ports authority and am waiting on written word from them (I have a feeling I might be waiting a long time, but I prefer something on govt. letterhead over an e-mail).

I have yet to get the same information from more than one person, so I think all of use are just guessing and interpreting partial information and we won't know until the BVI government publishes a revision or the fees get introduced on the 15th.

I'm now pretty certain that I won't be staying in the BVI next season and if I can get away from here for 2 weeks I will fly out and sail down to below the hurricane belt. I've also got papers underway for changing registration from the BVI to a Gibraltar or Malta flag.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 04:04   #80
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steve Black (Cruising Rally Association) told me that has been informed that Premier O'Neal is in the process of reversing the fees for private yachts. It will take legislative action, that could come as early as this week.

But...it ain't over 'til it's over, as the man said. Wait and see!
Old 15-07-2008, 11:06   #81

Well everyone can breath again now.

The BVI Beacon just reported that the BVI government has decided to "indefinitely defer" the implementation of the harbor fee policy. They are going back and rethinking the whole idea.

It is interesting to note that much of the verbage in the Premier's announcement will sound familiar to you. They DO keep an eye on what we say. :-)
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:14   #82

Boat: Privilege 37
Goodie

BVI back on the list for me.
Old 15-07-2008, 11:29   #83

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Here is the article link: CABINET INDEFINITELY DEFERS IMPLEMENTATION OF HARBOUR FEES - Virgin Islands Platinum News
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:52   #84

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Good deal, more money for rum drinks and dinner on shore in the BVI.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:57   #85

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
We can't assume all is well. Keep your eye on this one.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:11   #86

Boat: Beneteau 361 36'5" - Takin' It Easy
Well, lets hope that's the last we here of this.

Someone must have given their head a shake after all !!

Now - back to planning for great sailing in the BVI and surrounding waters for another season.
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
Mark Twain
La Bras D'or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 11:37   #87

I am headed down in July of 09 has there been any new Info related to the Harbor Fees?

Geoff
2dedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:08   #88
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They're dead for now, Geoff. The current fees for cruising yachts are available on Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors

Tags
British Virgin Islands, fees