Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 18:29   #61
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Caribbean
Boat: shannon 38
Posts: 5
Maybe I can confuse the issue a bit more. A few years ago I left my boat at Nanny cay Marina BVI for 6 months. Customs informed me because my boat was staying in BVI waters for over 30 days continuous I must pay 200 dollars for import duty. This fee was only good for the calender year so it must be paid every year. Customs had the paperwork completed in less than one hour. I suppose there is a slim chance they are mixing licensing with import duty. I realize this is a bit of a stretch but you never know
__________________

__________________
sailabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:26   #62
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
The temporary import duty is a totally separate thing from "licensing", which requires an inspection. Licensing your boat would protect it from attracting the new Harbour Fees. I don't believe that the Import Duty would do that, but you wouldn't be charged Harbour Fees for days stored on the hard.
__________________

__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:11   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 182
Sailabout, I paid $300 plus for that import duty a few years back when i left my boat for a few months at nanny cay hauled out.
It turns out that boats on the hard are exempt from this fee; so I shouldn't have paid.
One of those cases where you have to inform the customs man yourself as they are confused on this point, intentionally or not; I don't know.
__________________
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:34   #64
Registered User
 
La Bras D'or's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oakville Ontario Canada
Boat: Beneteau 361 36'5" - Takin' It Easy
Posts: 20
Images: 17
some new info re fees

I just received this communication from Captain Sallah - Director of the Virgin Islands Shipping registry :

Dear Mr. Walsh:

The facts are that for a 36-ft boat an Annual Coastal Craft License will cost $204. This is comprised of $150 for Inspection and $54 for the License. This license entitles you to an exemption from the daily charge.

Please revert, if you require more information.

Yours truly,

Capt. Baboucar M. Sallah
Director
Virgin Islands Shipping Registry
3rd Floor, Sebastain Building
Administration Drive
Road Town, Tortola
British Virgin Islands

Tel: (284) 468 2902/2903
Fax284) 468 2913
Email: bsallah@gov.vg
__________________
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw
off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
Mark Twain
La Bras D'or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:36   #65
Registered User
 
La Bras D'or's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oakville Ontario Canada
Boat: Beneteau 361 36'5" - Takin' It Easy
Posts: 20
Images: 17
And now this from Mason Marcus - BVI Beacon

To all:
Thank you very much for you thorough comments and follow-up emails. I do believe that the BVI did not intent to tax private pleasure yachters, or commercial yachters. The law--meant to fine the Cruise Ships using the Ports Authority Dock--cast too wide a net, and in doing so, the BVI has struggled with the after-effect.

I do not believe that the BVI will totally rescind the law. However, after discussions with the VI Shipping Registry, seems that a vessel with a license is exempt from paying the fines.

The license (a coastal craft license) can be obtained for about $200, from the VI Ports Authority, after getting a Certificate of Inspection from the VI Shipping Registry. The license lasts one year. Captain Sallah, head of the VISR has said he will work with yachters who would like to obtain the certificate in advance of coming to the BVI. Yachters with USCG COI's or other safety documents can also send them in advance.

That being said, the $200 Temporary Importation Fee from Customs and per person per day will still apply for private yachts.

Of course, its best to remember that nothing is final until the July 15th start date. The link to the (partial) BVI Beacon article is here: http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1559&Ite mid=26.

I'd still like to hear comments from yachters as to whether they will apply for the CCL & COI--or decide to move elsewhere, or field any questions that I might be able to answer.

Thank you again for your help.
Regards,

--
Mason D. Marcus

Reporter
BVI Beacon
Tortola, BVI
C: (284) 540-5102
O: (284) 494-3434
F: (284) 494-9126

mason.d.marcus@gmail.com
bvibeacn@surfbvi.com
__________________
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw
off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
Mark Twain
La Bras D'or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tortola
Posts: 700
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by little boat View Post
Sailabout, I paid $300 plus for that import duty a few years back when i left my boat for a few months at nanny cay hauled out.
It turns out that boats on the hard are exempt from this fee; so I shouldn't have paid.
One of those cases where you have to inform the customs man yourself as they are confused on this point, intentionally or not; I don't know.
What you paid was the Temporary Importation Tax (usually 2, not 3 hundred unless they started doing it by size) plus a few extra for the customs clearance, which is pretty normal. If you are going to keep your boat in BVI for over a month this tax is payable and is valid for a year. Keeping your boat in the water or on the hard would not have made a difference to the liability.

The New charges however are Port useage fees. So - if they do get implemented (which at the moment, at least for yotties, is being re-thought) you dont have to pay them whilst on the hard. But you still (as I understand it) have to pay the Importation fee if you are going to stay for over one month. Tony
__________________
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:42   #67
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
La Bras D'Or,

Finally some firm facts! Thanks for tracking it down and sharing it.

Tony,

Is the importation permit good for 12 months from when you pay the fee, or for a calendar year?
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53   #68
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tortola
Posts: 700
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
La Bras D'Or,

Finally some firm facts! Thanks for tracking it down and sharing it.

Tony,

Is the importation permit good for 12 months from when you pay the fee, or for a calendar year?
It is valid for the 12 months from when you pay the fee.
__________________
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:10   #69
Vendor
 
witzgall's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Posts: 1,775
my wife and I just visited Culebra for a week last month, including a five day stay aboard our friends boat. what a wonderful, frindy inexpensive place to stay. Not glitzy, but very beautiful beaches, snorkeling, etc.

Chris
__________________
witzgall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41   #70
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,138
Sshhh. Now everyone will want to go there. Let them stay in the BVI.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:52   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
What you paid was the Temporary Importation Tax (usually 2, not 3 hundred unless they started doing it by size) plus a few extra for the customs clearance, which is pretty normal. If you are going to keep your boat in BVI for over a month this tax is payable and is valid for a year. Keeping your boat in the water or on the hard would not have made a difference to the liability.
The New charges however are Port useage fees. So - if they do get implemented (which at the moment, at least for yotties, is being re-thought) you dont have to pay them whilst on the hard. But you still (as I understand it) have to pay the Importation fee if you are going to stay for over one month. Tony
Thanks Tony.
I understood the difference.
I was charged 3 hundred something for the import fee; couldn't have been size as I'm only 27 foot.
A sailing pal happened to be hauled longterm at nanny cay when I went to relaunch and had never paid the fee; he had contested it successfully when requested; he told me to go ask for it back.
After questioning Customs, they agreed the fee was not applicable on the hard and I could file and ask for a refund, but would have to return for the filing papers; they didn't have the form. I just gave up because they said it could take over a year to return my money and I was exasperated.
What can I say? You sound well versed in the regulations which is more than I can say for the actual officials I encountered.
__________________
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 13:54   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston TX
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Posts: 364
Images: 35
This sounds like another case of.........

if you can't afford it stay away. Wealthy only need apply. What is going to happen to all us working stiffs who have smaller boats(and wallets). I personally am not able to afford the costs of some of these places. That of course means they probably don't want people like me coming anyway.

I'm becoming less and less tolerant of the wealthy. I've worked to damn hard for to damn many years. I should have left 20yrs ago but was to busy being a good citizen. Working and paying taxes and putting my kid through school. What I've got after all these years is a 30yo boat and a very small cruising kitty. How about a little equity. Those that CAN pay should.

Eat the rich!
__________________
I must go down to the sea again.........
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:05   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Hey, Cantx.

Skip the BVI and cross the Anegada Passage to Marigot, St. Martin. Only $7 US to clear in there! Or just stay in the USVI or Spanish Virgins. No clearance fees for U.S. Citizens there. Then come down to Nevis. $11 US for a 30 day Visa, same as most of the other British heritage islands south of the BVI.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 21:36   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The South Carolina LowCountry
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bras D'or View Post
The license (a coastal craft license) can be obtained for about $200, from the VI Ports Authority, after getting a Certificate of Inspection from the VI Shipping Registry. The license lasts one year. Captain Sallah, head of the VISR has said he will work with yachters who would like to obtain the certificate in advance of coming to the BVI. Yachters with USCG COI's or other safety documents can also send them in advance.

That being said, the $200 Temporary Importation Fee from Customs and per person per day will still apply for private yachts.

Of course, its best to remember that nothing is final until the July 15th start date. The link to the (partial) BVI Beacon article is here: http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1559&Ite mid=26.

I'd still like to hear comments from yachters as to whether they will apply for the CCL & COI--or decide to move elsewhere, or field any questions that I might be able to answer.

Thank you again for your help.
Regards,

--
Mason D. Marcus

Reporter
BVI Beacon
Tortola, BVI
C: (284) 540-5102
O: (284) 494-3434
F: (284) 494-9126

mason.d.marcus@gmail.com
bvibeacn@surfbvi.com


How much is the "per person per day "? What would it cost ,total for a 30ft boat with two people?


WAB
__________________
Newbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 22:00   #75
Registered User
 
DreamSeeker's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: Cat Sailor
Posts: 12
Cantx,
I would be interested to know how you would determine who is "rich" and therefore needs to pay. Not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious.

Cheers, DreamSeeker
__________________

__________________
DreamSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
British Virgin Islands, fees

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slip Fees Kai Nui Marinas 66 10-05-2012 11:31
Sunsail vs BVI Yacht Charter vs Moorings in BVI austinmurphy Atlantic & the Caribbean 16 22-08-2010 19:26
Customs Fees Rearsteer Dollars & Cents 10 07-08-2010 14:35
Talk About Slip Fees! Jake Tanley Multihull Sailboats 11 22-09-2009 13:27
Birthing fees Alan Wheeler Multihull Sailboats 33 27-07-2006 02:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.