Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 17:31   #1

New Marina in Panama

My boat ‘Tropicbird’ and I have just stayed at a new marina on the Caribbean coast of Panama. The facility is ‘Green Turtle Cay Marina’ at 09-35.86N 079-26.33W Well out of hurricane threat and close to the SanBlas islands. Most of the Panamanian staff speak English and they gave us a warm welcome and made our stay relaxed and comfortable. We ate freshly caught fish at the restaurant whilst enjoying the WIFI service. Unfortunately we only had a couple of days available to indulged in the shore-power and facilities. It was all too short a stay before it was time to top up with clean fuel and potable water and sail on once again. This was only a brief stay but in the future I shall leave my boat safe and secure for a longer period under the watchful eyes of the 24hour security staff, my comfort zone was expanded.
liveaboardsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 18:29   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: New Marina in Panama

What services do they have and what are their rates for living in a slip with power and water? I'm planning on basing my boat at Careening Cay Marina, but am open to other options.
Old 11-09-2011, 20:23   #3

There is electricity, water and fuel. I can put you in touch with the 'powers that be about pricing'. I was there for only a couple of days but found it reasonable enough. Although the place is somewhat isolated, (better for nthat in my opinion) it is certainly better positioned for Panama City than Bocas del Toro. Other facilities in the area are getting over-crowded. Email me at...(email address removed).
Old 11-09-2011, 20:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Moderators note:

Julian,
I have removed your email address for your own protection against spam bots who will find your mail address and do bad things with it. If you need to send someone an email address then it is better to do it with a private message.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26   #5

i have been sailing these waters for the last two years and know the area intimately. The SanBlas islands are a delight. Unfortunately till this marina was launched there has been nowhere to get cleal fuel and potable water close to the Sanblas. i know several boats who use Cartagena Colombia as a base for visiting the islands. there are other facilities but they are further away and crowded.
If anyone wants contact details of the marina then I will forward via a private message on request.
Anything you want to know about cruising the Panamanian coast please ask, I don't have all the answers but maybe something relevant for you
Old 12-09-2011, 05:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Looks great!

Green Turtle Cay Marina
Panama: (507) 302 2100
Cellular 6674.1857
USA: (305) 395 3302
Venezuela (241) 774 4003
Lat: 09º 35.86' N x Lon: 79º 26.33' W
Web ➥ :: Green Turtle Cay Marina ::

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:50   #7

If you are in the area contact me and I will direct you since I am in the area
I cannot quote costs on this medium but can answer other questions
Old 23-09-2011, 12:14   #8

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardsail View Post
There is electricity, water and fuel. I can put you in touch with the 'powers that be about pricing'. I was there for only a couple of days but found it reasonable enough. Although the place is somewhat isolated, (better for nthat in my opinion) it is certainly better positioned for Panama City than Bocas del Toro. Other facilities in the area are getting over-crowded. Email me at...(email address removed).
Very interesting to hear that this marina is now completed and in operation. In 2008, coming back from a wonderful 3 week cruise in the San Blas enroute to Portobello, we sought shelter in the marina as it was listed in our cruising guide. To our surprise, the marina was only in the early stages of construction, with no apparent signs of ongoing progress. At any rate, the concrete pilings were in so we tied up between two sets of pilings, thereby avoiding all of the major surge and storm conditons outside of the well sheltered protection of this marina property. There was nobody there to pay (or thank) for the benefits of the sheltered waters but we were sure grateful for the "overnighter" we spent there. We wish them great success with their business and if I leave the eastern Caribbean to revisit the western Carib this cruising season, we now know it is "up and running".
Thanks for the update,
Teej
s/v afLOAT
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 17:55   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

What are the short term rates there for overnight guest slip?
Old 22-11-2011, 13:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hi, Julian is our best customer yet. Thank you for spreading the word.

Soon we will be able to quote pricing for short term stay, but for now we are taking on long term clients; minimum 1 month stay. We have low monthly rates for sailors and if you mention that you came from a post from Cruiser Forum I will make sure to give you extra benefits.

We are new at the marina business, but floaters at heart. Welcome all!!

PS: Julian, next time in the area I would like to invite you for a beer at the beach bar. Thanks for helping us get on our way!

JJ Vallarino
General Manager
Turtle Cay Marina
jjvallarino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama