Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2008, 22:28   #1

New here, have a question

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here so bear with me please. I'm originally from Vancouver but I now live and work in Bogota, Colombia. I haven't been here long but it looks like I'll be here for quite a few years to come. So far, I absolutely love it but I need a way to get away from the city and relax from time to time.

It's always been a dream of mine to own a boat. I haven't put much thought into what kind or anything like that since I've never before been in a position to get one. That has changed now and this is something I would like to persue. The boat would likely be something around the 35' size and I would keep the boat in Cartagena, Colombia. Right now, what type of boat isn't important.

I want to get an idea of what I'm facing by wanting to have a boat here. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into so this is where everyone here comes in. Is this even a feasible idea? Is Cartagena and the surrounding water dangerous? If so, in what ways?

Eventually I would like to travel around the Caribbean a bit. Nothing too crazy but I think island hopping around or visiting some of the other major cities would be fun.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
ducaticole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 07:31   #2

Welcome,

Never been there. However, some years ago we were considering sailing to Colombia (then plans changed for health reasons). At that time we were told that Cartagena was a popular hurricane hole, has a facinating 'old city', and has always been cruiser friendly. Also, the Rosario and San Bernardo islands were considered safe and well worth visiting. The waters of the harbor in Cartagena are said to be very ‘fertile’ - plan on cleaning your bottom frequently.

Obviously, there are other places on the coast where you do not want to go, and you need current information - not just something you read in a cruising guide or hear from someone who was there a few years ago. There is a Cartagena-American Chamber of Commerce which is reportedly very knowledgeable and helpful for cruisers planning to sail Colombian waters.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 08:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I want to get an idea of what I'm facing by wanting to have a boat here. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into so this is where everyone here comes in. Is this even a feasible idea?
If we can leave aside the issues of the location I think you can find out a lot about the issue of just owning a 35 ft boat with all the discussions here. I would say that is the biggest hurdle to cross as far as "just what am I getting myself into?". With that in mind then the trade off is "'just how much fun is this?". Last would be "how to do I keep a boat where I can have access to it?". Putting it all together is the key to enjoyment. They all need to work for you time and your budget.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 09:14   #4

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Ola Ducaticole,

Cartagena is indeed a lovely old city and will be a great break from the fumes of Bog.

Suerte!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote