Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 14:01   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: New Exuma Land and Sea Park Mooring Rates

We don't go to the Park anymore. It seems the small "p" political wrangling has spoilt it. This has been going on since they fired the popular Warden many years ago. Their attempts to increase revenue by sticking moorings where they were not needed (Shroud and Emerald Rock) has not made matters any better. I don't believe the moorings are maintained as well as they were when they only had them at WW.
Old 19-08-2014, 16:53   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We don't go to the Park anymore. It seems the small "p" political wrangling has spoilt it. This has been going on since they fired the popular Warden many years ago. Their attempts to increase revenue by sticking moorings where they were not needed (Shroud and Emerald Rock) has not made matters any better. I don't believe the moorings are maintained as well as they were when they only had them at WW.
Yeah, it would be one thing if they only placed moorings and outlawed anchoring in areas where anchoring could legitimately cause damage and if they maintained those moorings well.

Forcing people to pay for questionable moorings in places that offer good anchoring in sand, or eliminating such good anchorages all together however is a political decision, not an environmental one.

I'm all for preserving natural areas, but when I desire to seek a natural, unspoiled setting the last thing I'm going to do is hang out in a tightly packed mooring field with 20 or more other boats.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 17:25   #18

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Will I cry over $5 (the price of a Kalik)? No.

Last year in Warderick Wells in the Emerald Rock mooring field we had BTC internet. We had an old wire tethered T-Mobile Nokia 5230 cell phone with a BTC SIM card at the spreaders on the port flag halyard in a Wal Mart dry box with a boosted 10m USB cable down to a notebook PC on the nav desk. If we did not have the old cell phone on the boat, it would be in the trash.

(We had paid for the park WiFi for two days, and it did not work. But who cares.)

We can send and receive email by HF Winmor/Winlink, so having any internet is a bonus, not a requirement.

We pick up moorings in the park mainly for the purpose of giving the park money. Last year we paid in advance for moorings in North Hawksbill that we did not use because all of them were full. Did we cry... No.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our stays in the park over the last seven years. I only wish that they owned or controlled or zoned the all land within their boundries.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:28   #19
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Bill...

I just saw your blogpost about the raft Antiki, anchored in Governor's Harbor. We saw it earlier this year. I had no idea that it had crossed the Atlantic!

.....sorry for the thread drift.

Ralph
Adult pool | sailing away with R & B

IMO, way more "money grabbing" in Abaco than Exuma.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring