Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 18:38   #31

I will travel with full provisions from the US - it is just cheaper and easier. (sardines and tuna vs. caviar)

I fear that although polite.....I am very much riff raff.

I watch NFL on occassion, but it isnt a priority for me. Sports are for doing not watching.

I dont know anything about Great Exuma.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:41   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi PierPressure,

Bahamas are doable on a low budget but some of your ideas are not workable. First, very little "wild" food to harvest. A few greens and coconuts but in case you haven't been there, most of the islands are small, flat and very dry, not the tropical jungle you might envision. So any real food plants you see growing like pineapples, bananas, etc most likely belong to someone.

Most food is imported so pretty expensive and locally grown food is fairly limited in quantity and also high in price. Stock up on staples, dried and canned foods in the US. Your best bet for getting your own food in the Bahamas will be fish or other seafood. Hook and line is OK but if diving no spear guns. Other restriction apply so research before you go.

Beer is also quite expensive so if you are a drinking man stick with rum.

Georgetown is a good stop, best place in the southern end of the islands to restock food, get parts, repairs, etc but is getting a bit crowded. Plenty of other places to see as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:43   #33

My attitude is one of proactive advancement. I am not necessarily against squatters but I do want them to be clean along with not destroying our environment. If they come on limited budgets then they need to find a way to contribute to the community. If you have little money then take a couple hours each day and pick up garbage etc. since you will not e pumping revenue into the economy. Some Cruisers rake the beach at the Government Dock which is not as big of a deal as they make it but it is better than cranking stool into the harbor (wshich they are probably doing anyway).
Old 11-10-2010, 18:47   #34

Thanks Skipmac - I look forward to the adventure. I have a spear gun but dont fish with it.

Rum......yes, thank you.....#1 on provision list.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:49   #35

Boat: PETERSON 44
Hey I like that. My 9 year old has become a complete pain in the ass every piece of trash comes back to the boat. Sometimes we have to circle around and fish something he saw floating by. Im proud he learned it from me we leave everthing the way it was or better. Thanks Killion I was trying to understand your point
Old 11-10-2010, 18:51   #36

Skipmac if you knew anything about the local bush foods there is actually alot one that is knowledgable can find. Guava, cocionut, guinep, bird pepper, wild herbs and plants that have medicinal qualities, sea grapes. Very underated are whelks. You can harvest a motherload on the rocky beach area behind Saint Francis and through the trail that goes to the Atlantic side at Sand Dollar beach.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:04   #37

I will eat or at least try the local free fruits and vegetables.

As for raking the public beach, I will clean up after myself, but that is about as far as it goes.

How shall we cruisers contribute to the local economy? We pay for what we use, other than the open water which the locals dont pay for either.

Your point about dumping is a good one.

Although enforcement is challenging, I have been places where local authorities simply "visit" new arrivals and tell them not to do so. Say a boat doesnt move for a week and the waste tank is on empty......fine them. It isnt asking too much but if you let people be lazy, they often times will be.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:09   #38

Killion your an angry dude best to you. Its a pain in the ass that my son learned that trash is bad and we spend time fishing your trash out of the water. Im glad to do it Anchored up in baltimore few weeks back and had to spend 20 minutes getting the bags from the bottom off my anchor aboard so they can be recyled.Those aren't cruisers bags they are city crap. So we remove more stuff then we leave behind I think most sailors are similar. Seeing how you are omnipotent argumentative and accusatory Im sure you will tell us how to be better.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:15   #39

Pier I really think you need to do reserach and come up with a plan. Now I am getting the feeling that you will be doing as little as possible to inject money into the local economy. I hope that I am wrong. Face it, when the locals see a Cruiser they have $$$ signs in their mind. It is not as if they say, "Great. A cheap 3+ month squatter who is going to pump waste in the harbor, eat our fish, create more traffic in the harbor and probably get their paws on the fresh produce at the market by the time I get out of WORK. Yes, work. Not LOAFING."
Old 11-10-2010, 19:17   #40

Sabray - thanks for keeping Baltimores toxic waters cleaner. We are talking about Exuma though, so, Blatimore has no meaning in the dialogue in this thread. I am, for the record, proud of you and your son.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:26   #41

Now tell us how you are so good for the environment? And what you are doing that makes you stand so righteous.When I post I always try to give real examples of my experiences and what I do or did. Maybe a thread is (where does your crap go). I reply we have a holding tank and don't discharge in harbors and respect the laws. Sometimes this is difficult as the municipal facilities don't work. then we head off shore and discharge. You are beating people up and give no example of your experience cruising. Back up your point with action and tie it to boating please.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:29   #42

Sabray very good to hear the you are a responsible boater.

The list of what I do on land is long and very dignified.

On water, it is even longer.

This is my home and I do not treat it like a toilet.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:33   #43

Generic question. If you are a cruiser ask yourself (and report back to all of us) what will you do this year to make a difference in the local community where you will be water squatting?
Old 11-10-2010, 19:34   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLLIONFISH View Post
Skipmac if you knew anything about the local bush foods there is actually alot one that is knowledgable can find. Guava, cocionut, guinep, bird pepper, wild herbs and plants that have medicinal qualities, sea grapes. Very underated are whelks. You can harvest a motherload on the rocky beach area behind Saint Francis and through the trail that goes to the Atlantic side at Sand Dollar beach.
I do know just enough about gathering wild foods in the Bahamas and elsewhere to not recommend a neophyte depend on that for a significant source of food.

I have two concerns. One, unless I knew who owned a piece of land or was on an isolated and uninhabited island I would hesitate to harvest apparently wild fruit. Often what appears to be a wild tree in the woods to one person is what the owner considers his or her tree in their "back forty".

Then unless the person asking is somewhat educated in identifying wild plants there is the risk of gathering the wrong thing. Taking a bite of a manchineel fruit could ruin your whole day.

Based on the fact that the OP speculated on the possibility of wild pineapple in the Bahamas I am assuming (always a dangerous thing) he has limited knowledge in this area, thus recommend caution.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:36   #45

Sage advice skipmac and thank you for looking out for Pier. Rubbing up on a gallwood tree can ruin your month.
Closed Thread

Tags
georgetown