Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2008, 12:03   #1

Boat: 2003 Hunter 356 "SOPLEME"
Nevis to Antigua

Can anyone share their experience re: crossing from Aoulie Beach, Nevis to English Harbour, Antigua? We will be on a S410 Lagoon in early May. What should we expect as far as time? I've heard everything from 6-16 hours depending on weather, etc.
Old 18-04-2008, 12:35   #2

This is a silly question for a number of reasons.

One is that sail boats don't run on clock like schedules. You pretty much get there when you get there.

But you can narrow it down when you do a little planning and chart work. Measure the distance, look at the set and drift at the time frame when you plan to depart. Look at the predicted wind speed and direct use that to figure out how many miles you can do in those conditions.

If you can't do those sorts of calculation even roughly, you have no business being on a sailboat and are probably a danger to others.

Allow 6- 10 hours.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 12:56   #3

Boat: Catana 471
I made this exact passage waaaaaaaaaaay back in May 86 on a Jeanneau 45 charter boat. It took all day. No GPS, no nothing. We headed south almost to Redonda before tacking and managed to get Antigua into sight before tacking again. Assuming you're on a charter and can't sail at night, suggest you leave at daybreak and spend a couple hours on port tack to gauge your progress and windward ability. If there's any S in the wind you'll do fine after you tack over the stbd. Do not attempt to pinch that 410.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 13:07   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I made the trip last June, taking my boat to Falmouth Harbour to put her up for the summer.

I left Tamarind Bay, about a mile south of Oualie Bay, at 0600, and arrived in Falmouth Harbour at 1730. The wind (14-18 kts) was on the nose the whole way. I was able to motor-sail with the main for about two hours, but just motored the rest of the time with no sails up. The waves and current are against you. I was doing 2 kts SOG for a while, just off the NE side of Nevis.

That time of year the wind normally has a bit of south in it, but the tropical waves have begun by then, so you can have some unsettled weather. I left a day earlier than planned because the forecast was for E 20-24 kts.

My boat is a monohull with a hull speed of 7.6 kts.
Old 20-04-2008, 05:50   #5

Boat: 2003 Hunter 356 "SOPLEME"
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
This is a silly question for a number of reasons.

One is that sail boats don't run on clock like schedules. You pretty much get there when you get there.

But you can narrow it down when you do a little planning and chart work. Measure the distance, look at the set and drift at the time frame when you plan to depart. Look at the predicted wind speed and direct use that to figure out how many miles you can do in those conditions.

If you can't do those sorts of calculation even roughly, you have no business being on a sailboat and are probably asa danger to others.

Allow 6- 10 hours.

defjef,
Jeez....it seemed like such an innocent question? I apologize for asking.
Actually, we are on a time schedule as Sunsail does not want their boats sailed at night. My wife and I have done several Voyage 440 bareboats in the BVI a and USVI, both by ourselves and with friends and haven't grounded or crashed into another boat yet. Even managed to find and anchor at Anegada each time without incident. Guess we've been lucky? I don't claim to be Popeye the sailorman, but for God's sake, I'm not a total moron.
Your reply to my post only serves to remind me why I don't hang around much on sailing forums anymore.
Have a superior day and go find yourself a life.

To HUD3 and 2Hulls,
Thanks so much for your informative replys. We are sailing out of Oyster Pond on Sat morning the 26th of this month for 12 days on the boat. We hope to make it to Anguilla, St. Barts, Statia, St. Kitts & Nevis, and of course Antigua. Should be lots of fun.
Old 20-04-2008, 06:04   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Bob,

That's quite an itenerary!

Here's a suggestion--when you come to St. Kitts and Nevis, clear in at Charlestown, on Nevis. Clearing in in Basseterre on St. Kitts is a pain, and the anchorage is not very attractive. Once you're cleared in on Nevis, you can anchor off Pinney's Beach, where there are some good restaurants and beach bars. Most sailors pick up a mooring and hang out at the Double Deuce, at the southernmost end of Pinney's Beach. They have free WiFi there, and the chef is top rate.

If you want to see St.Kitts, take the ferry over and hire a taxi to give your the tour. There are some nice things to see there, but it's best done from a base in Nevis. The only decent anchorages on St Kitts are on the Southeast Peninsula, within easy reach of Nevis.
Old 20-04-2008, 07:24   #7

Bob,

You didn't explain it was a charter and you were on a no night sail restriction and a tight schedule. I just a assumed you were a cruiser island hoping and it seemed not to add up and hence my "scolding".

I've done that passage a bunch of times back in the 90s when I was cruising those waters, but I can't recall any notable except that it was a beat to windward. I would often wait for the wind to swing to N of east and head as high as I could, and if it looked like I could fetish Monserrat or even Deshias I would spend the evening there and sail to Antigua the following day. But I was one no schedule.

If you DO have the time, I would suggest you shoot down to the Saints, then do Basseterre, Deshais and then EH. Monserrat was destroyed by the volcano so I don't know what's there now, but it was a gorgeous island before the top blew off.

I wil caution you on the passage between Deshais and EH or Falmouth. This is a reach in both directions and yachts are sailing on reciprocal courses on the rhumb line and you might want to be on the lookout for a potential head on collision especially at mid day.

That itinerary includes a lot of work to windward. ICK. I would have chosen starting in EH and working my way west - easy downwind sailing with some spirited reaches in there.

Good luck!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54   #8

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
Its a day sail. Unless you have time to sit and wait for the wind to be in the right direction count on it being a beat to weather.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutboy View Post
Can anyone share their experience re: crossing from Aoulie Beach, Nevis to English Harbour, Antigua? We will be on a S410 Lagoon in early May. What should we expect as far as time? I've heard everything from 6-16 hours depending on weather, etc.
About 15 years ago, I made a the reverse trip - Jolly Harbour to White House Bay, St. Kitts. We left Jolly Harbour at about 10 am after clearing out and arrived at St Kitts right at sundown. We went up to Basseterre to clear custoims the next day and then went back to White House Bay,a good anchorage. We had a van pick us up there for a tour of St. Kitts.

English Harbour is a longer trip.

Statia is not a great anchorage.

I was in St Barths in November, it is expensive. Avoid the sea wall. Anchor outside of Gustavia or at Anse Columbier. Or try to get mooring balls (bow and stern).

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 23:31   #10

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
Defjef has'nt been there for a long time, Monserat is nothing but smoldering ash but the conditions between Nevis nad Antigua havent changed. If you can pick your weather(and in May you should be able to),you should be able to make it in the daylight hours. Just leave at the crack of dawn and be prepared to motor-sail a lot. A Lagoon has ample power to get you thru the curent near Nevis but you can't point much better than 50 degrees and expect to move much,so you'll need to make realitivly wide tacks to make use of the wind. I would motor-sail all the way just to make the best possible time. BTW I used to run a Lagoon 47 doing charters and am very familier with them.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 02:18   #11

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.bobfm View Post
Defjef has'nt been there for a long time, Monserat is nothing but smoldering ash but the conditions between Nevis nad Antigua havent changed. If you can pick your weather(and in May you should be able to),you should be able to make it in the daylight hours. Just leave at the crack of dawn and be prepared to motor-sail a lot. A Lagoon has ample power to get you thru the curent near Nevis but you can't point much better than 50 degrees and expect to move much,so you'll need to make realitivly wide tacks to make use of the wind. I would motor-sail all the way just to make the best possible time. BTW I used to run a Lagoon 47 doing charters and am very familier with them.
So why are you responding to a thread which is nearly 3 years old????
I think they may have made the trip by now!

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 05:27   #12

Cliffdykes; I'm new to the computer. How does one tell when a question was posted?
Old 19-12-2010, 05:40   #13

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
It's at the left end of the dark bar above each post...
Old 19-12-2010, 12:28   #14

Thanks Jon! I really appreciate the help. I really had not even noticed the date there , with all the other stuff to look at.

Tags
Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda, Nevis