Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-05-2013, 12:26   #1

Need updated info for St Kitts Nevis

I am heading to St Kitts for a job interview in the next couple of weeks. We are interested in any information about sailing St Kitts Nevis: including any potential to live aboard, to have a boat if one rents on land, is it better to live on land and charter, etc. (we do prefer to have our own boat). Hud3 makes Nevis sound wonderful and wed love to get some updated info from Hud3 or from PyotrBee. Apologies in advance if I have missed recent info in the forum.
Cheers!
AJaco

Old 18-05-2013, 05:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Need updated info for St Kitts Nevis

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, AJaco.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 02:37   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The sailing there is quite pretty (I was on Nevis exactly a week ago) but there aren't too many protected anchorages.
One person I know lives on the northern tip of St. Kitts but anchors the boat at White Bay, a protected anchorage on the far south end.

Which island will you be on?
Old 25-05-2013, 20:29   #4

Zanshin-Thanks so much for your info! The job I'm visiting for is on St. Kitts so it would probably be best to live on St. Kitts if I take it. I'm assuming this but I'm open to a 'long' commute after living in the D.C. area. Sounds like there's no potential for live aboard on either of the islands? Are there really no marinas? or yacht clubs? Can you possibly hook me up with the person whose boat is in White Bay? Thks again
Old 26-05-2013, 05:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Check out ➥ Port Zante marina in Basseterre, St Kitts

Port Zante Marina
Building #9, Port Zante
Basseterre, St.Kitts
Phone: 869-466-5021
Fax: 869-466-5020
Email: marina@portzante.com
Web ➥ Port Zante Basseterre Local Area

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 22:16   #6

Boat: Vagabond 47

We are in Port Zante Marina now waiting out weather to continue south. Been here a week now and haven't experienced any surge at all, and it's been pretty rough outside. Rates we were quoted 75 cents a foot, customs on site, walking distance to town, grocery store, bars ect. 24 hour security, all in all a nice place to be.
Hope this helps
captden
Old 27-05-2013, 07:09   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Hi, AJaco. Your only option on Nevis is to pick up one of the government moorings. All the anchorages are pretty wide open, so it can get quite rolly. If your job is on St Kitts, you'll have to take the ferry each day.

The only marina in the Federation is Port Zante in Basseterre. As captden notes, it's not bad when the wind-driven waves are up, but you can get quite a surge in there when the northerly swells from big storms off the US East Coast come down, normally several times in the winter and spring.

The anchorages along the southeast peninsula of St Kitts are pretty nice, but isolated. Majors Bay is the only one I'd trust when the large northerly swells are running. There are three beach bar/restaurants down there, but nothing else in the way of services or amenities. It's a thirty minute drive up to Basseterre on rough roads.

If (when) tropical storms approach, you'd have to high-tail it to somewhere safer (Antigua, Guadeloupe or St Maarten), or have your boat hauled at Reg Francis' boatyard at Brimstone Hill.

Good luck with your job interview.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13   #8

Boat: Vagabond 42

We left Callisto at Port Zante Marina for several weeks. We just left there to bring the boat back to St Martin a couple of weeks ago. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the marina and by Basseterre. The marina is ugly and surrounded by dirt/mud and Basseterre is a big, old crowded city. We thought White House Bay and Ballast Bay were really pretty and good anchorages but they would not be suitable in a big north swell. I met a Kiwi who teaches at the veterinarian school there who is living on his boat at the marina but not many other live aboards. Provisions were somewhat limited and there were no chandleries at all. The island is set up for the huge cruise ships that call there frequently. The Port Zante area is a horrible collection of jewelry and liquor stores and souvinour shops. They really are not geared to attract cruisers (IMHO).

I am spoiled by the marina at Anse Marcel on the French side of St Martin. It might be one of the prettiest marinas I have ever seen.

Tags
Nevis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: