Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-09-2014, 19:35   #31

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Need-to-have electronics for Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you are singlehanding and sleeping maybe necessary. But cruising with crew and standing watch I never had a problem dodging ships in the Caribbean without radar or AIS.

Figured that would go over without saying.

Old 30-09-2014, 19:43   #32

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

I used precision GPS(about 1cm accuracy), back then, and it seems(if I remember right), that SA was turned back on, which rendered an autonomous GPS an inaccuracy of a few hundred feet.

Old 30-09-2014, 19:46   #33
F51

In the 13 years since 9-11 this thread is the first I have heard that the GPS system was shut down, and I've been pretty active in aviation, sailing, and navigation circles. Haven't heard a peep. Before I go around saying "Guess what I read on the Internet!" I'd like someone to document (with citations, please), not anecdotal references the truth of such an event. Otherwise, I'll continue to believe it didn't happen.
Old 30-09-2014, 19:47   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
Figured that would go over without saying.
Mentioned it because the OP didn't mention singlehanding. Different criteria depending.
Old 30-09-2014, 20:14   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
AIS is much better than radar. BUT, radar is MUCH cheaper, works very well, and I'm not "Hombre Rico".
We must shop at different places. AIS receivers are ~$150 and AIS transceivers start at ~$500. Are there radars under $1000?

Radars are more broadly usable than AIS, but for the two specific cases of wanting to track cruise and cargo ships, AIS is better than radar.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 20:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Radars are more broadly usable than AIS, but for the two specific cases of wanting to track cruise and cargo ships, AIS is better than radar.

Mark
+1

Problem is, there's lots of boats out there without AIS that would ruin your whole day if you happened to collide with them. Both would be nice but if I had to chose with limited budget would start with radar.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:27   #37

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We must shop at different places. AIS receivers are ~$150 and AIS transceivers start at ~$500. Are there radars under $1000?

Mark
Yes there is radar for under 1,000. The existing 1621 mark 2 that's already on my boat. Go pick a fight with someone else. You win. Now you can hold up your arms over your head jumping up and down in total victory and feel you've accomplished something.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Pizzo-electric lighter... for my roll ups..
YES!!!

The flameless torch variety... Damn breezes...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:36   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes there is radar for under 1,000. The existing 1621 mark 2 that's already on my boat. Go pick a fight with someone else. You win. Now you can hold up your arms over your head jumping up and down in total victory and feel you've accomplished something.
I don't know why you keep insisting I am picking a fight with you over anything. This forum does allow, and expect, people to fact check and reason through arguments. That is all I was doing.

Yes, one can pick up a used radar for under $1000. However, your Furuno hasn't been made in several years, and cost over $1000 new. I cannot find radars new less than $1000 - the replacement for your 1621 costs $1,500 at discount. Lower cost ones may exist, but I don't know of them.

We both agree that if one was most concerned with tracking cruise and cargo ships, AIS is the best way to go (for example, you can see them around breakwaters in a port entrance). We don't agree that radar is cheaper.

That is not picking a fight.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09   #40

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

I thought I was going to get a lead on a radar that was cheaper than an emtrak AIS, for example. Like a lot of things on the internet this was grossly exaggerated.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:24   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the eastern Caribe I would say depth sounder and GPS minimum.
After that you will want a VHF to talk to neighbors.
Radar is nice for dodging thunderstorms/squalls, wind funnels and entering an anchorage on late, dark arrival.
SSB listening is nice to get good weather reports.
Autopilot if you heap that into "electronics".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 18:27   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think a VHF is pretty much almost mandatory electronics for almost all boats, but particularly all cruising boats. Is this thinking misplaced?

For us, an autopilot is also necessary. Even if we have already made the passage to the Caribe and were just island hopping, the autopilot is essential to us for short-handed, easier sailing. And we have a boat that only needs a single person to completely handle and all controls for everything is at the helm with an electric winch. Call us wimps, I guess, but we rely on the autopilot. Heck, even when sitting in the helm seat under "manual control", we steer by pushing the dodge buttons. I realize and accept that others are different - but I enjoyed hand steering much more when we were weekend sailing from our mooring for a few hours each day than when we went cruising full time.

A depth sounder in the EC is mostly needed for figuring out anchoring scope. Not many places to go wrong in depth there (Anegada excepted, of course). However, I also consider a depth sounder as basic cruising electronics regardless.

After that, is there really ANYONE that doesn't have some form of GPS anymore? Phones, tablets, cameras, dongles, watches, handhelds - doesn't even need to be a fixed system. It is pretty much impossible nowadays to not have a device that gives you basic position data - one really has to work hard to eliminate GPS from their life.

Mark

Tags
Caribbean, electronics, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: